“The real Fiji”

Adventures in Paradise Fiji
Ranked #8 of 27 things to do in Sigatoka
More attraction details
Owner description: The Waterfall Tour Visit the home of a village chief and take part in authentic ceremonies; Hear entertaining tales about local folklore, superstitions and ancient practices of witch-craft. Learn about traditional plant medicines on a rustic rainforest trail. Enjoy an exhilarating dip in the waterfall lagoon. They’ll teach you how to husk a coconut and serve tropical fruits while you just relax and enjoy the therapeutic waters and tranquility of this magnificent natural setting.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The real Fiji”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Karva ceremony Cheif of the village. Our Guide, Waqar was a wealth of local knowledge on plants for medicine, toys for the children & local Folke law. His personality was friendly & always will ing to help. The Waterfall trek was about 40 mins but worth it. Lunch was good. The water was cold but refreshing.
As a guide Waqar is worth is weight in GOLD. His off sider Villee was a funny & informative as well. Great combination.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Archy C

• Czech first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best day in Fiji!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

A fantastic day out with Waqa, Tui and the whole crew. Small bus took 15 from various resorts on Denarau island down to Sigatoka, short stop at Jack's for toilets and quick shopping, before enjoying the sights on land Fiji, the greenery, the roadworks, the 'salad bowl' and the local villages. Another short stop at the little village where a wonderful family welcomed us nt their home, watched the mother in her kitchen and played with the kids and the baby chicks! Off to the river, and onto the bamboo bilibili where even the older members of the group slipped in for a quick dip to cool off. The trip isn't too long, nor is the walk through a bit of mud and criss crossing streams to the village chief who welcomes us with a kava ceremony. Another short walk, being told about the bananas, cane etc before not the caves, awesome! A great learning experience and lots of fun and laughs along the way. Lunch back at the village chief, simple sausage, chicken and salad, beer, water and soft drinks, whilst listening to the banjo and singing. Return walk and bamboo raft, another swim with the crew washing the mud off of shoes and feet before jumping back on the bus. Cold beers for those that wanted them during the long drive back but again, chatting, sharing, teaching and answering questions. The crew was great, everyone had fun and I would highly recommend it. We will be doing their waterfall trip next year for sure! Lots of fun!!

8 Thank 3Travelling
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A wonderful day in the village and the by waterfall”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My family loved this trip. it's a long way from Nadi, but if are staying on the coral coast it is close by well worth doing. We visited a local village. As the oldest male on the trip I was elected Chief of our party and had to ask permission from the village Chief to enter the area and visit the waterfall. They gave us a traditional welcoming ceremony and a Kava offering. We got to visit the preschool where beautiful children sang us songs in English and Fijian, then we planted Mango trees with the villagers and walked 40 mins up a slippery path to the waterfall learning about bush medicine on the way. My wife and daughter opted for horses and loved it. At F$25 each that also 'killed 2 birds with 1 stone' as it was F$65 a ride at the resort . The guides were great, really fun and knowledgeable and proud of the area. We went with Inland Coastal tours and would very much recommend them. The guys helped as up to a ledge where my teenage boys and I could jump off in the falls, ( Not easy and very slippery) then he went up another 10 mtrs higher and did a front flip into the water. Later he climbed all the way to the top and lay something across the river to momentarily stop the water flow, good trick. On the drive back The guys helped us with shopping at Sigatoka , not pushing us to one place but asking what we wanted and then going into the store with us but stayed in the back ground in case we wanted help. A fun day and a chance to see beautiful countryside and how Fijians really live and learn a bit about them. Important for Australian teens.

Visited October 2012
9 Thank Terry C
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“The Cave Tour - you must do this!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Although we did the tour during the September NSW school holidays, our family of 2 adults and 2 children were the only participants so we had a private tour of the village, "jungle" and cave with Waqa and his friends. It was unbelievably amazing. We met grandmother and enjoyed kava and lunch (plus beer and softdrinks) with the villagers (I was the chief - Ratu Mark), we travelled down the river on a bamboo raft (my boys loved swimming in the river beside the raft on the trip home) and we had an extensive tour of the cannibals' cave which is particularly scary when all the lights are turned off (pitch black!). Entering the cave through a small gap in the rocks certainly made it a memorable adventure. This is a tour we will never forget. Don't go to Fiji to sit under a palm tree on the beach - instead go to see the real Fiji and enjoy the beautiful country (Sigatoka is the salad bowl of Fiji and is the greenest place I have ever seen) and the beautiful friendly people. It will change you for the better because you will appreciate more your good life back home. PS. Please bring some gifts for the villagers (books/clothes for the kids, new tooth brushes, soap, lipstick, etc - some visitors bring lollies but please consider the lack of good dental care in these remote locations). These are very poor, hardworking, beautiful friendly people who are missing out on the tourism dollars that are mostly spent in the luxury resorts. You can make a real difference to the lives of these wonderful people.

Visited September 2012
14 Thank Mhutchx
Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Amazing waterfall and Staff”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

It's generally the staff that make or break an experience in my opinion. These guys were amazing!!!

I went on the waterfall/village tour with my two kids (1.5 and 3.5) for my sister-in-law's hens day. Be warned - it's not easy....especially with kids! We were told it was kid-friendly, but im not so sure. It was manageable, but not easy.

The guys were amazing, helping me out with the kids, however if youve got shy kids, you know that sometimes they dont go to strangers easily, and this was the case for me for quite a bit of it! Anyway, we managed to pursuade my toddler to go with the tour guide, who carried him for the most part. The most beautiful sight was seeing one of the big guides carrying my 1.5 year old and (although he disappeared from my sight for a bit as he was a fast walker, and I was a tad nervous), i caught up at the waterfall to find her asleep in the arms of a female tourguide! She carried her for about an hour while she slep - it was so lovely! And they fed her and played with her too.

I couldnt thank the guides enough - they did a brilliant job with my kids as well as everyone else. One other girl had her 4 month old baby - one tour guide carried her the entire 40min walk back in the baby bjorn - she even slep in there! He was amazing.

They were entertaining, considerate and informative.

The walk (about 45 mins each way with about 9 creek crossings, so be prepared to get muddy) was amazing as was the waterfall. Just a bit much with young kids - my back paid for it the next day !

The picnic lunch was yum also, Plenty of water was supplied.

Visited June 2012