All reviews smugglers cove ocean view free wifi air con stayed here for nights travel desk double room nadi town wailoaloa beach every evening bamboo backpackers island hopping free airport vinaka vakalevu yasawa islands close to the airport aggie
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

The room wasn't exactly luxurious but it was clean, had a little fridge and even a little balcony. The location is perfect though. It's right on the beach, the neighbouring hotels have all kinds of free activities going on all the time and it's easy to get a boat to the surrounding islands. They have a travel desk that helps you book day trips and other activities. I would definitely recommend this place if you are a budget but don't quite want to go a backpackers with shared rooms and bathrooms.

Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

Firstly, if I could give 2.5 stars I would, two seems harsh yet three seems generous. We stayed in a private double room, it was fairly well equipped for the price bracket and everything worked. We got a blocked toilet half way through our stay but this was fixed when we informed reception. The beach area is okay, however it could do with a few more sun beds, even 1 or 2 would probably suffice. All other facilities were okay, slightly worn out and tired looking, but it was a cheap hotel so this was expected. The lady on reception and the lady behind the tour desk were very cheery and welcoming and gave great service, would recommend booking a tour here. However, the service at the restaurant/bar is awful. Breakfast took 1 hour to arrive after ordering egg on toast, this should not take 1 hour. Then, if you try ordering a drink from the bar, you are met with a disgusted look from the bar maid because she was expected to get you a drink. This rude and slow service lead to us venturing out from the hotel for every meal to nearby hotels which I would recommend over this one. Also, we went three days without having our room cleaned for some reason, which is not ideal when you are staying at a hotel where there is sand everywhere.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
the_fiji_islander, Guest Relations Manager at Tropic of Capricorn, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2018

Bula Bula!

Thanks for the nice comments and sincere apologies for the imperfections. Your feedback has been shared with our team and we'll target improvements accordingly. We appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest experience :)

Vinaka and best wishes,

Tropic Family

Reviewed July 18, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for one night only and to no regret. Staff are really very friendly and the place has a good location on the beach. Yet, the room was awful. Horrible bed, shower that didn’t work properly. The whole thing is simply waiting for a long overdue renovation. We looked around and only the ocean fronted rooms seemed decent enough.

1  Thank Patrick B
Reviewed July 12, 2018

Like many hotels in Fiji, Tropic of Capricorn Hotel along Wasa Wasa Road has a laidback vibe, and you cannot rush the staff. They just take their sweet time. Most of the staff are warm and friendly, and even ask a lot of questions about you and your country. For me, everyone I met there kept asking about Philippine telenovelas and their actors - and it's the same all over the islands, even in the capital of Suva and at the airport security. They are just crazy about Philippine telemovies and TV series. The hotel is located in front of Wailoaloa Beach. My room wasn't beachfront but my window had ocean view, facing the beach which, though not particularly beautiful, is serviceable. You can watch golden sunsets from here.

My room was at the 3rd floor. It doesn't have an elevator so bringing a lot of luggage through narrow stairs will be a bit of an effort. No bellboys too since this isn't exactly a luxury hotel. Though I had a double bed, the whole room felt cramped, but functional, with wifi signal for just 1 gadget, with a small bathroom, ref, and clean sheets. The standard of hotel in Fiji is, in general poor. You pay big bucks for what's already a suite in, say Thailand or the Philippines, and they have a lot of room for improvement where customer service is concerned. But the people here are good natured, speaks impeccable English, and honest. I forgot my camera at the lobby while I was about to hop on a bus to Suva. When I remembered, I took a taxi back and got my camera back. They kept it safe and knew I would come back for it.

Their restaurant has great selection but pricey and takes forever - as in forever. One day, I was on a rush because a car was supposed to pick me for my overnight stay at the Blue Lagoon Island. Though time officially opened at the restaurant, the girl wouldn't budge. No open yet, she kept saying. I just sat and waited but when I realized she would not start working until she feels like it thought it was 45 minutes from the official opening time for breakfast, I decided to leave. Having breakfast before taking the Yasawa Flyer was important because who knew when I'll be able to get my next meal. The restaurant next door was very much open and teeming with guests having breakfast while the restaurant at Tropic of Capricorn's would not get up from her seat. So much for hospitality and service right? But really, this girl was the exception. I loved my stay there despite the smallish rooms and breakfast-wanting demeanor.

I transferred to the nearby hotel resort - Traveler's - upon returning from Suva, but learned that they have the same staff rotating between the two. Similar owners maybe? Not sure. The front desk lady remembered me easily and called my name with a warm smile when i checked in at the Travelers next block. I would have returned to Tropic of Capricorn BUT I just wanted to try a different place.

Room Tip: Double room with balcony has a nice view of the sea
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

It's more than we expected.
Free Airport pick up, free unlimited Wi-Fi, free fresh coconut(on the beach from the staff, may be that we are just lucky), air conditioning and hot water showers. The other side of the accommodation is facing the ocean and easily walk along the beach and access other accommodation. Staffs can help to arrange all activities and transportation.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with friends