“Home from Home - Amazing”

Tropic of Capricorn
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed February 9, 2010

We found this hostel by chance and were so glad we did - it made our trip to Fiji! I have nothing but positive things to say about Mama's.

Mama, Bella, Maria, Eta etc all FANTASTIC! They treated us like part of the family, remembering our names, looking after me when i was ill!!! And welcomed us with open arms.

We loved it so much here we were quite emotional when we left - after a 17 day stay (except a small break to visit the islands). Food was great the room was basic but homely and always clean, the beach was lovely, a quiet hostel but never a dull moment.

Would recommend this hostel to any backpackers who go to the mainland its so much nicer than staying in one of the horrible commercialised hostels along the strip that have no character.

Sending best wishes to everyone at Mama's - Thanks for making our stay so fantastic. I hope to see you all again one day soon xx

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 3, 2010

We just finished a 2 month trip to New Zealand and Australia with 5 wonderful days at Tropic of Capricorn. Everything about this hotel was wonderful. Nice room overlooking the ocean, good location with nice beach and very quiet, Bella's amazing cooking, and the greatest staff possible. We had been there 15 minutes and felt like family. We never did get to meet Mama as she was away when we were there. We were not backpacking but were on our 40th anniversary trip and Mama's exceeded all of our expectations. For a budget hotel you can't beat it. Hopefully we get to return sometime in the future.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2009

We had heard wonderful reviews about the lovely lady known as Mama and expected a pleasurable experince at Mamas. We were however transported to a nearby apartment block which did not feel very safe as it had no direct connection to the resort. Mama did not come across well to us, upon our arrival she struggled to understand us and was quite obviously drunk. She openly bad mouthed the surrounding hostels/ guesthouses whihc made us feel uncomfortable.
The breakfast was toast, bread, jam - quite common in Fiji and fine with me..... but the butter was disgusting!!! How can such a simple breakfast be so disappointing?
The cats and dogs roaming around the place did not add to our eperience either.
I was glad when our two days were over.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bettyb20
Reviewed June 28, 2009

On my 1st visit to Fiji I was unfortunate enough to Stay In Smuggler's Cove but eventually found "Mama's" towards the end of my stay. On return to what is for me the best country on earth I was really looking forward to staying at Mama's again. Mama and her fantastic team did not disappoint...

I cannot thank the whole team enough for what they did for me in my 6 week stay - nothing was too much trouble for them and Mama truly has a heart of gold. She looked after me when I got sick and made contributions to my stay too numerous to list. By the time I left I genuinely felt like one of the family and to mark my departure a special party was thrown in my honour...

It was be a while before I return to Fiji but in the meantime I will continue to spread the word about the Tropic of Capricorn. I would not hesitate to recommend it to any kind of of traveller - but especially the backpacker market. Thank you so much for for everything Mama - I send my love to you and all your hardworking and amazing staff....

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nmyers65
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I don't normally write internet reviews but after staying at Mama's and having such a brilliant experience i decided to write....

I'd initially booked into Smugglers which is next door, but after they messed up my booking i wandered over next door to Mama's who instantly greeted me with a personal welcome and sorted me out with a room. As a solo traveller stuck in the dark in Nadi with no guaranteed accomodation i was close to tears but they were so friendly here i instantly felt like i was at home.

As well as the personal service, the place is extremely clean - rooms are spacious and air conditioned which is much needed in the Fiji heat. I hadnt realised breakfast was free but it was fantastic and you can eat it more or less on the beach :-)

Reception was really friendly (thanks Mary!), and couldnt help you with more.

Overall, had a brilliant stay here and would urge anyone against staying next door at smugglers cove and stay at Mama's instead!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Kay1414
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We stayed here for almost two weeks on and off, and before we arrived I was slightly neverous as it was my first hostel. I cannot tell you how pleased I was to arrive and find Mama ready with our room, coffee and big smile and a hug.

I have previously read mixed reviews on here about the staff, and I think it is fair to say you either hit it off, and it becomes like home with the staff as family or it never really clicks for you. However the staff DO NOT steal from you, they don't enter rooms at all, I am not sure about the dorms but defo not the private rooms. not even to swap towels etc they are provided downstairs daily.

For us it was perfect it is not over run with 18 year olds a real good mix of age groups and people, but the lively smugglers is just next door so you can go there too..

Poni arranged our accomodation and catamerman for the islands and he did a fantastic job, picked us perfect hotels, doens't charge a penny, and visits them personally every year.

The room was lovely, fab view over the beach with a balcony, double bed and clean new bathroom., amazing AC and no bugs at all.

Food was so good by Bella, mega large portions served any time, and plenty of toast and coffee/tea for breakfast.

Aside from Mama being wonderful, the only downside was the beach is not the best in Fiji, and it is a slight walk to a supermarket, smugglers has a small shop & washing machines next door though.

I would defo recommend Mama's for a budget stay we had a fab time, made many friends, given top travel advice.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jemmathetraveller
Reviewed May 4, 2009

This place is really the cats meow... It is in a great location, just a stones throw from anything in Nadi, and as far as I could see was for sure the cheapest. Has an amazing kitchen, and the Fijian fish is to die for!!! They also have a cool bar area with big screen for chilling out in the afternoons over a bitter. Nice pool, with great beachfront area. New, and clean as well. I spent an evening chatting it up with Mama, and man is she a great host!!! She helped me in every way possible, and went well out of her way to make sure my stay was as good as it was. Excellent staff, and highly recommended from this backpacker.... Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo