“Loved staying at Mama's”

Tropic of Capricorn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Canada
“Loved staying at Mama's”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We stayed here only one night in early January, because we needed to be close to the airport for an early flight to Auckland the next day.

The weather was terrible, pounding rain and winds that night - so we never ventured far from this place, and in the time we were there we were impressed by everything: Our oceanfront balcony, our huge room, how clean everything was, and the wonderful attitude of Mama. Never have we met such a lovely kind person.

Next time we are in Nadi, we are staying at Mama's. She was great, as is this hostel.

• Liked — Mama
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
London
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Just want to say I don't know how this hostel has bad reviews because it's excellent!!! Great value for money, think it worked out 5GBP a night and that includes breakfast... They have a private room with a double bed, bunk beds and ensuite which is still same price & very clean, a dorm room with single beds and ensuite or a dorm room this is the only room that isn't ensuite.

The hostel is very clean, food is amazing and all homemade by bella the chef!

The owner MAMA is amazing, loving and so funny. She treats everyone as if they are her own, will take u to town or medical centre and will even sit up with u til the early morning playing drinking games and she is in her 70's!! Brilliant woman!!

I would recommend Mama's hostel to anyone, it is located on the beach which in fairness is not the best beach in the world but hey ur in fiji and on beachfront location!!

Keep up the good work Mama, will be back to see you some point this year!!

Leanne :-)

• Stayed September 2008
London
Reviewed December 31, 2008

Firstly I must say, Fiji is one of the most wonderful places I have ever visited; with it's lush landscapes as well as the special and vibrant culture practised by the majority of the locals - it's well worth the visit. However, all this aside - my holiday still managed to be ruined by this terrible backpacker "resort". Now when i say terrible, I'm not referring to the quality of the dorms or the cleanliness of the place etc etc (which are all perfectly fine), I am more referring to the quality of people - which, by most part, is appalling. It's sad to say, but it is the truth, that this place is run by a rude, insolent, ill managed and corrupt family. I find it hard to come on here and say this because at times they showed kindness towards me, but when it comes down to it , their whole manner towards me and my friends has practically forced me to write this. I could go on and on explaining all their unforgivable actions: but it's new years eve so I will just name a few:
physical abuse, lying to the face of the law, displaying joint corruption with the law, rummaging through peoples bags... the list goes on. All this alongside their evident personal issues, which aren't my business to discuss, created quite a sad end to my Fiji experience. You can go stay here if you want, you may have a great time (certainly the hostel and surroundings are beautiful), but I urge you not to visit and try find an alternative as you would be giving your money away to some of the most terrible people I have ever met. There are some great people working ("slaving") there as well and as I said before, Fiji as a whole is fantastic.

Bula!

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank urawutang
south africa
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I arrived in Nadi, Fiji for the second time in my life. The previous time I was in Nadi, i stayed at Mamas Tropic of Capricorn. This time I stayed opposite that at Smugglers Cove. I went next door to see if things have been improved! As i walk towards reception I am greeted by 4 Canadians who have just been on an Island Day Trip, complaining about there valuables being stolen form there bedroom, i asked if it could of been another backpacker sharing with them but they said it was impossible because they aren’t sharing a room with anyone else! They had complained to reception but were told none of their valuables are insured and that there is nothing they can do!
I went up the stairs to their room on the second floor, it was a 4 person room, the beds were fine and sheets stained but clean, it was also quite dark having only 1 light and absolutely boiling having no window in the room. There was an Air-Conditioner but it was broken at the time. On the ceiling of the room there was quite allot of mold in the corners that was hard to spot because it looked like someone tried to cover it by paining over the mold. Obviously I wasn't impressed with the backpackers again at all, i don't advise you stay here if you were thinking about it. Horizon Backpackers or Smugglers Cove** especially are great places and must visits on your travels in Nadi! Take care!

• Liked — Was near a beach
  • Disliked — Unclean rooms, rude staff, bad securtiy, bad food. . . . pretty much everything!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank david1919
poni2000, manager Poni banimarama at Tropic of Capricorn, responded to this review, December 12, 2008
Dear Customers, Unfortunitly the reviewer has failed to leave out of his review,on his last visit he failed to pay his bill. The police were called and the bill was settled, while we understand this may have caused embarrasment to the reviewer ,our policy is very strict on payment of accounts.

This seems to have caused a certain amount of resentment and bitterness in the reviewer towards our resort.Tropic of capricorn welcomes feedback and reviews as a way to improve on our service but they need to be accurate, we have no 4 bed dorms,all rooms have windows and working air cons, our building is 6 mths old with no mold. His review is spurious and untrue.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Beautiful hostel with shocking owners. When I first went to stay in this place it looked awesome. I thought I was going to love it, however the fact that mama (the owner) has a 40 year old son who lives with her (I know, we all thought the same) largely ruined the experience for me and my friends. He drinks, smokes and abuses the staff and the guests. He stays there with his wife and child and constantly causes problems for his mother. We were told of how she has had to bail him out several times, which we saw for ourselves. Having headbutted one of my friends in the face for absolutely no reason, the police were called, only for mama to offer them drinks and a hot meal, which worked perfectly meaning her son was once again let off the hook.

If you want to enjoy nadi, go stay in Smuggler's Cove. Far better service, with great food and a lively atmoshphere in the evening. Tropic of capricorn has a few guests in the bar area, with most steering clear, choosing to enjoy their evening rather than spend it trying to avoid the alcoholic son that roams the building looking for a fight.

Enjoy.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Seymour
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank gidddd
ENGLAND
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Mama is fantastic,we had a great time with her and staff.The food is great and cheap and accomadation very clean and comfortable..I would reccomend anyone going to Fiji to stay with Mama,she is an inspiration

• Liked — Mama
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KERMAR
Montreal, CA
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Mama's was our introduction to Fiji as it is the first place we stayed after arriving on a long flight through from LA. We were picked up from the airport shortly after we landed and driven directly to the hotel free of charge. We had read about Mama's in Lonely Planet and decided to rely on their expertise when in came to booking our two week Fiji vacation. They were great at helping us decide what to see, and all of the destinations they suggested were fantastic. If you are going to Fiji for the first time and not sure of what to expect or where to go, be sure to make Mama's your first port of call as they are really expert at planning a great trip! The facilities are clean and modern, the staff are very relaxed and friendly and all of this makes Mama's one of the best for a stress free vacation. My girlfriend and I were so impressed that we are staying with them again on our way back to Canada from Australia. Bula!

• Liked — They were able to plan and book the reservations for the rest of our trip around Fiji.
  • Disliked — Somewhat close to the city and airport, but this was actually handy.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank justpressplay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
Nadi Bay Resort Hotel
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Tropic of Capricorn? Share your experiences!