“Homestay hospitality but with a hotel feel”

Tropic of Capricorn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed in the very affordable poolside room T2. It was so peaceful in there! We got excellent sleep. There is no a/c but the fan was definitely enough to keep us cool at night (although July is supposed to be one of the cooler months in Nadi). Mama's food is excellent and portions are large for the good prices. Mama is also such a sweet character; she really makes you feel like part of her family. You can have as much quiet privacy as you want, but if you enjoy chatting, Mama is always around the front area of the hotel to sit and joke around with. Very good vibe in the hotel. The lady who gives the $40 FJD/hour massages on the beach out front is an excellent masseuse! Best massage deal in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tropic of Capricorn

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Compared to the adjacent hotels (smugglers cove or aquarius) the price of a beachfront double are less tha 50%. Mama, the owner and the staff are helpfull, competent and very friendly. On our pacific trip we returned 6 times back to Mama!!! It is a perfect place for a few days in Nadi or if you have to wait for your next flight.

If you are looking for the perfect beach and luxury you should go directly to one of the island resorts.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sugus3001
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great spot right on the sandy beach with warm safe water. Mama owns and runs this place with her husband and knows everyone by name and nothing is too much trouble. you can blob out and enjoy the fabulous sunsets or and easy 20 minute walk takes you along the beach and then to the main road where you can grab a 70 cent bus ride into Nadi Town.Even a taxi ride will only cost you F$7. The airport is F$12 away and although the runway is almost over the back fence the sound of planes is not something that spoils the ambiance. We stayed here for three nights in a double room upstairs with a view of the ocean from the balcony and were very happy. We enjoyed Mama's cooking for the first couple of nights and then tried one of the other close restaurants for the last. Nothing is too much trouble for Mama and everything gets done.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 134ChrisE
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was here for a night. Absolutely loved it. This place is just awesome. Nice Location, excellent service. Had taken a sea view room and whole night could hear the sound of waves. Room was very clean and spacious.
The Owner Mama is very warm and friendly. Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We live in Fiji, are Fiji citizens and know that you just roll with the punches with whatever happens! It is what it is and it is what YOU make it!

After booking in to the Bamboo next door and them having no record of our booking (they'd rented our pre-booked room out!) they took us here. We recognise the area as budget travel, but we get a lot of divers who are on a budget and we'd wanted to try out a place to stay in Nadi to help our guests out by trying and then recommending. We paid $65 FJD for a double room, breakfast included.

Capricorn offered us ocen view or block wall view, we chose ocean view and they then said sorry, only block wall view - I think it had to do with us having a large suitcase and ocean view had stairs! Not beig fluent in Fijian has us at a disadvantage sometimes!

Room, was on the driveway, very small, air con was not efficient, no hot water and towels, sheets etc were clean but stained.

Breakfast was local supermarket jam on toast and tea/coffee.

Cycone damage still obvious, but lots of new building, so they must be doing OK. Good on them. Location also sees them amongst a number of other budget accomodations and backpackers can party up a storm!

It is what it is!

Room Tip: Main building, Ocean View - insisit you can carry your own bag to ensure you get it!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FeejeeJ9
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Tropic of Capricorn is the most amazing place... its beautiful, clean, very cosy and loveable.

Mama the owner of Capricorn is a god sent angel.... As soon as I walked into the hotel- she greeted me like I was a long lost son..

Please come to Nadi and stay here..

Love you Mama...

Best place ever :)

Room Tip: Choose the room upstairs for good views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was here in March/April 2012 (during Cyclone Daphne).

Firstly, I was in Bamboo. Which is really cool. Then I moved over to Tropic of Capricorn just over the road. I stayed in the downstairs dorm. Also one night in the upstairs dorm. The below review covers both.

The rooms are better. Cleaner. The place is clean :) It has air con and the shower/bathroom facilities are the best.

The air con was well good!

But where it really shines is Mamma. On my trip around the world my fondest memory of somewhere to stay would be here when I think of the hospitality. She goes out of her way to make people's stay as hassle free and as nice as possible.

Example:

Myself, along with others, had problems with a certain boat company regarding our bula passes that would take us island hopping. Mamma sorted pretty much all of this out (even though some people did not buy the pass through her). I am convinced that if she was not involved then some people (including myself) would have been massively out of pocket.

Cannot fault the place. Really kind and welcoming! Even when I came back from island hopping and had a night before my next flight she welcomed me like an old friend (and I had no reservation). Mamma - if you're reading this I think I still owe you for the bed for that night! Get in touch and I'll wire you the money (Nish Mohamedally)

There is a pool and there is an ocean view. I fully recommend that you stay here when on the mainland.

No bedbugs. Clean. Cheap. Honest. LOVELY owner. What more could you ask for?

This is the only review I think I have done on Trip Advisor where I've rated 5 stars for service, value, sleep quality, cleanliness and rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank nisho
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
#12 of 25 in Nadi
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Tropic of Capricorn? Share your experiences!