“Fine for a quick stopover”

Tropic of Capricorn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed July 9, 2012

From what we could gather, Tropic of Capricorn has had a little trouble with fire damage in the last year or so, so a lot of the hotel was closed. Our room was clean and adequate for our stay. The hotel is located next to a hotel/bar called Smugglers and we spent most meal times there as there never really seemed to be anyone around in the Tropic of Capricorn. Having said that Mama was very nice and welcoming and the stay was good value for money.

The whole area there is quite noisy but we had no real trouble sleeping.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 1, 2012

they did not show up at the airport or reimburse the cost of the taxi, I had no bedding, no towel, no hot water in the shower and a used bar of soap in my bathroom. then I saw a rat running around my room so I just left.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank desiree k
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed at Mama's for a total of 4 nights, before and after going off to the islands. Our room was spotless and really comfortable, great en suite bathroom, air con and a nice little balcony outside. The back of the hotel opens straight onto the beach and at the front is a lovely pool. The food was good - the sunday dinner was great and all the prices were reasonable. There are plenty of other places you can eat at nearby also.
Mama, Jerry and the staff were really friendly and helpful, they even let us keep our room until 1 at no extra charge as we had a night flight.
There is a bus that runs to Nadi town from the top of the drive once an hour, we managed to miss it (i think they run on Fiji time!) and also ended up getting a taxi back from town as the once an hour bus didnt turn up! but at $8 fijian it wasnt so bad.
We arranged our island stays through them and this made life so much easier as we didnt want to do the standard packages. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again as you couldn't find a nicer place at such a good price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mel S
Reviewed June 15, 2012

my stay in tropic of capricorn is not pleasant. When we first arrived the hotel, the staff blamed me for not telling them my arrival time at the airport and they sent a people waiting in the airport for us for the whole day. The thing is we made the booking through booking.com and it does not ask us to put our arrival time. Neither did we know that there was free pick up. And, we did not arrive from the airport but from the port. Ok, after check in, we were brought to our room. We booked a double ocean view room for around AUD $45. Yes there were a double bed, but also with 1 bunk bed and 1 single bed. All these beds with no bed sheets so you can clearly see the stains on these beds and there are just too many furnitures. True there is ocean view and the bathroom is clean. But it is nothing like the pictures we saw on booking.com. For this price, I would rather stay in bluewater lodge when def. charges less.

After we settled in the room and we asked if the hotel do dinner and the staff gave me this weird look and asked us to go next door. So, I don't know if they have a kitchen in this hotel. Glad that I only stayed there for one night and that was my last night in Fiji.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joacheng
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Mama is an amazing person...i went there to recover after an accident before flying home back to the u.k. she bent over backwards to help me and so to all the staff..it was a great experience...food was great and cheap...and when we got a roast dinner on the sunday it made my day. they took me to and from the hospital everyday and help my girlfriend out with me when needed...amazing people...i would go back to stay with mama any day. great location to right on the beach. i cant tell you how much i enjoyed my stay...they made us feel part of the family.

Room Tip: dont go to smugglers....full of bed bugs!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris G
Reviewed February 21, 2012

If you have to stay in Nadi, this place is great, or at least the rooms at the front are. Clean, new, good bathroom, balcony overlooking the ocean, and very good value compared to other places around. Mama is a warm and friendly character, who makes excellent coconut chicken. My only complaint was that the pool was dirty and uninviting.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are spotless, great value, and overlook the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Mayasalaama
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Compared to the adjacent hotels (smugglers cove or aquarius) the price of a beachfront double are less tha 50%. Mama, the owner and the staff are helpfull, competent and very friendly. On our pacific trip we returned 6 times back to Mama!!! It is a perfect place for a few days in Nadi or if you have to wait for your next flight.

If you are looking for the perfect beach and luxury you should go directly to one of the island resorts.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple