“Great relaxed place, excellent value for money”

Tropic of Capricorn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
London
“Great relaxed place, excellent value for money”
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I have been based out of Nadi intermittently for the last 2 months and after an initial stay at a slightly cheaper hostel, I have returned to the Tropic of Capricorn 4 times. The staff here are friendly and efficient, the new dorm rooms are great value with new bathrooms, hot water and comfortable bed. I opted for the dorm with fans when the weather has a little cooler, but the air con room was needed when the nights were too hot. There is plenty of space in both rooms. The swimming pool is a great addition, I think that Tropic is probably the cheapest place with a swimming pool in the backpacker area.

The breakfast of 3+ slices of toast with homemade guava jam is not to be missed. Good coffee to boot.

I would definitely recommend Tropic to anyone on a budget for the dorms and even those that money isn't such a big deal, should check out the private rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for the new dorm.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed January 11, 2011

you would be better off staying next door at Smugglers Cove or across the street at Bamboo. Located on the beach. has a pool but it was closed. internet. free breakfast which is white toast and tea or coffee (like most places in Fiji). the guy who sold me the private room said it was normally $150. I kept telling him that was too much. finally he settled on $60 which as it turns out is the published price.he said he would upgrade me to a beach front room. i had a room with a view of the construction next door. it was super loud and there were people able to see into my room all day. room was small but clean and had a balcony, to watch the construction, a tv with maybe 3 channels, and super cold AC..i went to the bar for happy hour and no one was there so when some people showed up i asked if it was still happy hour and could i get a drink. the man said yes which began a screaming argument about letting me have $1 off a drink between him and a woman. this lasted for entirely too long. i did not get a drink. i ordered dinner. after half hour i asked if it would be much longer. i had ordered toast and a salad. i was told not much longer. after almost an hour i was told that they had no lettuce and i could go next door if i wanted to eat.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank glaciergurl
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2011

As soon as we arrived we were greeted by Zelda whom checked us in really quickly. The room wasn't that big but it had a really nice balcony overlooking the beach & ocean which does have an amazing sunset. the bathroom had hot water with a great big shower suitable for 2 people. It had a fridge and a tv with only 2 channels. The aircon was perfect. The pool was really nice too. We had dinner at the hotel and the food was great & cheap too. The bed was really comfy too. the hotel has a few resident cats and a gorgeous dog, Lindsay. On the down side, we stayed for 9 nights and the room wasn't clean not even once. I changed my own sheets and replaced the rubbish. the inside of the cupboard, the drawer & the balcony had mice poo droppings wich i found to be disgusting. The beach is very dirty and we didnt go in it once but its nice to walk on the beach in the evening with the awesome sunset in the back. Nadi isnt the best place to stay for more then 2 nights. I reccomend going to the islands for longer. We regretted we didnt stay long & enjoy the real beauty of the Fiji Islands.

All in all a really pleasant stay and i do recomend it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank valerialeek
nz
Reviewed October 25, 2010

me and a friend stayed here for 7 nights and felt at home straight away. everyone is incredibly friendly and helpful, the food (especially the fijian fish) is great and compared to next door very cheap. there's a really relaxed atmosphere in the hotel. the beach is not the best but you can lie in the sun and go for a swim like anywhere else. i'm missing mama's tropic and all the staff already, can't wait to come back some day :-)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank liskon
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I had a great time and they were really good at looking after us. One huge problem; when time came to pay tried to pay with my credit card, was told this hadn't worked, tried with another card told same thing. Friend tried with hers, told the same. We ended up being taken by a member of staff to cash machine and paying with cash. Upon return home to the UK I discovered that both card transactions had worked, meaning I'd overpaid by £112. My friend had also been charged. I repeatedly contacted them through their website and was given no reply. In the end had to take action through the fraud department of my bank. I would suggest paying with cash to avoid such a situation. I know it doesn't feel safe to carry cash but there is a cash machine fairly close to the hostel at the junction with the main road. Otherwise I really enjoyed my stay; they were really helpful arranging my travel through the Mamanucas. Mama Selena and her niece Bella are truly lovely people and it was upsetting to feel like they had ripped me off. I would suggest book your first few nights accommodation in advance as arriving at Nadi airport can be a bit daunting. There are literally between 30-50 people trying to arrange your holiday plans. The system in Fiji is that the travel agent receives a percentage of the total amount of whatever they arrange for you - whether its hostels, boat trips, tours etc. Therefore everyone wants to be your travel agent and it can be intense and daunting. I really loved Fiji once I'd got away from Nadi. Whatever you do don't stay there too long, a stop over is really enough. Latauka is worth a visit for souvenirs.

All the best and have fun, Joanna

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank J_Tenrecs
NewZealand
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We spent the first three nights of a six week Fiji visit at Mama's. We got a decent rate, Mama and her staff were friendly and it was nice being right on the beach. Getting into Nadi Town was easy (and cheap) enough by way of a local bus which stopped just outside the hotel. We were in an older section of the hotel, though, on the first floor, and the accommodation wasn't great - old, not very well maintained, and not especially clean looking. We also got a lot of noise from people walking by on their way to a block of rooms on one side and in and out of the main entrance walkway to the hotel on the other. Mama's nephew was very friendly and took us out to a club one night - very fun.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I loved meeting Mama - the hostel was really friendly and she was so lovely, always trying to help me. I'll never forget Mama!

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
#12 of 25 in Nadi
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Tropic of Capricorn? Share your experiences!