“Very helpful people!”

Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Shropshire
“Very helpful people!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

Not much to do in that area, Bamboo, over the road, is a better place because it has free wifi and cheap food..even a $1 coke machine! Smugglers is pretty expensive for what it is but food is nice, staff friendly and kavaholics, a fijian band, are amazing. Some people had problems with water. That is just unfortunate and depends on each individual. If you think you might have a problem take purification tablets. simple. But there really is nothing wrong with it. It is all just rain water and I drunk it for the 2 months I was in Fiji and never had a single problem. If you are in Fiji for more than a few days, its not the best place to stay due to lack of activities and not the nicest beach in Fiji. Pacific coast is the nicest place to stay on the main land so any hotel along there and if your a back packer do the beachouse! amazing place!

Room Tip: I went in a 4 bed room. nicer than a dorm If you ever get a taxi, ask for it on the meter because...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Niccy_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed at Smugglers Cove three times over a 10 trip to Fiji, and i must say, i was pretty happy with the place. First day i arrived at 7am and they put me in a room straight away, even though check in isn't until 14.00. My first room was ok - bit shabby and old, but it was clean, had awesome aircon, a fridge and a clean bathroom (with towels).
My second visit was over two nights and was in a double room in the newer wing. Room was immaculate, massive bed, aircon and ceiling fan, fridge, big bathroom, clean towels. was very happy with this.
the staff are generally pretty helpful (although some are a bit vague, but it is Fiji after all), and i really liked the Ghost Ship bar and restaurant. Food was excellent and the waiting staff pretty efficient. Seems they have different nights at the place over the week, as i managed to see a couple of Kava ceremonies and a fire dance on different nights.
They have beach chairs and beds, but the beach isn't that brilliant - but then you go to the islands for the beaches, not Nadi.
definately a good place to start if you are doing the Yasawas. i didn't take any trips outside of the place, so can't comment on its location and facilities for travelling to Nadi. I was very happy to chill out here for a few days, and i'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank tonymunch
austin, texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

Local friends recommended this place. This is an excellent starting point. Many travelers, near the airport, easy to connect with all the tours and the rooms are clean, food is good and the staff are very helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank gary_sails
Nadi, Fiji
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

From reading the previous reviews Smugglers Cove sounds like one of the worst places but get real people first of all its Fiji and I think that as standards go it is brilliant. I have stayed in australia/NZ and most of the hostels there are much worst than this.

We have stayed here 5 different nights inbetween island hopping and to and from airport. Every single time in the 2 weeks of being here, the place has been clean and extremely tidy. Staff are genuine and always happy to help we have had no problems what so ever. We stayed n dorms and a double one night and both were immaculately clean and tidy. There is only 2 showers and 2 toilets in the dorm for females but there are other toilets in the main area so that was never a problem. I did find that there was no plug around the bed so we just charged it in the bathroom or outside, this was no big deal.

Breakfast was brilliant as there is a selection of fresh fruit with toast/jam/butter and cereals. Seriously what more would you want in the morning - I think you can pay for a cooked breakfast and that seems to be reasonable also. We ate here every night that we were here and the food is cheap it certainly isnt extortionate but it is of good quality.

We have been travelling the world on a tight budget and found that this place was reasonable in every respect. Also it is worth booking on hostel bookers instead of ringing up or just going in as it is $15 fijian dollars for one night in a dorm which i think is extremely reasonable however if you wanted to stay without booking and just turning up it was $28 fijian dollar which is nearly double. Double room we stayed in was nice size clean and had a good nights sleep also. Just for the moaners or the young travellers, DON'T stay here if you want to just get drunk off your head, its more about a stopover stay or to just chill by the beach.

Its worth mentioning that we took a taxi into Nadi and that was $8 and it was about 5-10 min drive and we took a taxi to the airport which cost $12.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kristyleeharrington
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We are 2 girls travelling around the world backbacking on a tiny budget. The free airport bus was great but it was all downhill from there! It is a hostel AND a hotel. Dorms at the front and hotel rooms at the back. Firstly, there are NO kitchen facilities, not even a kettle or microwave. The nearest supermarket is a taxi ride away or about 30 minute walk. So you are basically forced to order food at the bar and grill. The food prices were ridiculous! About 25 Fiji dollars for a standard meal. This is more than triple the price of the standard food you'll find in the town! To be fair the food is quite posh by Fijian standards but really unneccseary, it is clearly catering for the people in the hotel section. The free breakfast is pretty rubbish and limited. You get vouchers every morning. I asked why i couldnt just get the whole lot in one go to save me going to reception every morning and another staff member said I can and that the initial receptionist 'is too lazy too fill them all out'. If you want a tea you've got to pay for a pot. The wifi is a joke, you've got to buy cards. 4 Fiji dollars for half an hour. 8 for an hour. Was told I could log in and log out but this was wrong, you have to use in 15 minute intervals!!! Lost out on alot of net time. Had to keep ringing Internet people up with problems on my iPhone getting new serials to log in. Had a kava ceremony on our first night, tai and the kavaholics! They were ALOT of fun, I thought kava was alcohol I kept asking staff and the kava people what it was because you basically shot it like alcohol and they said it's just a traditional Fijian drink no alcohol! So I drank alot...everyone felt STONED after a while. People falling asleep I felt drunk!!! I went to bed afterwards and woke up vomitting non stop for hours I was bed bound for about 24 hours and also had diarea. Couldn't even keep water down never been so ill in my life! It was made up with tap water which probably did it but when I researched what it was I saw that it is a narcotic with sedative and anaesthetic properties!!!!!!!! I was furious! I had asked so many times what it was but they never said! The next day I heard alot of people got ill after kava and the locals said it was bad for people not used to it. When I asked a staff member why we weren't told what it was I was told 'you wouldn't have tried it if you knew!' had to go out and buy rehydration tablets! Also found out if you order drinks at the bar (you're not allowed your own!) they make fruit juices with tap water too! So that'll get you. Avoid at all costs! They refused to exchange my drink when I realised. Said it's not their problem I didn't know fruit juice was mixed with tap water! My friend decided to do the diving course they offer there, seeing as there really is nothing around apart from the beach! the man who runs it is actually lovely, made good friends with him. She paid for the course and was taken into the pool for scuba diving training (there was a dead crab in there!) all was fine until we left to beachcomber island for my birthday. She was in horrendous pain and I was still dodgy from the water, completely ruined my birthday!!! Turns out she had a horrendous ear infection from diving in the pool and paid to see a doctor who said the pool water gave it to her and went on antibiotics. We are now in Australia and the infection is so bad she's had to pay to see a dr here and has been given more antibiotics! Never saw them clean that pool in 5 days we were there, the dead crab was just pulled out. Had no problems with bed bugs and the fact the hotel/hostel is on the beach is nice but that's about it. 1 big bathroom for every single girl in the entire dorm! Staff kept walking in during the night with torches, no plug sockets!!!! Have to charge phone in toilet and watch it. Little shop is useless and man is rude. No communal lounge area or anything, dark dorm! No party atmosphere at all. So many disabled dogs walking around the beach and pool are. local Fijians throw rocks at them and break their legs I was told. Was heartbreaking to see!!! Local Drunks on the beach also. Would never ever come back here!!!!! We stayed at bamboo nearby and that was a million times better with free wifi, kitchens, friendly staff and half the price!!!!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank rebeccamarie86

Travelers are raving about these Nadi hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

We were looking for a good deal for 7 nights, as base for visiting friends. We had a nice balcony room overlooking the pool and sea. There was everything we needed. As were away each day it was nice to have resort experience in the evening, with the restaurant and the entertainment. Although it was sometimes very noisy we didn't mind as we were on holiday, and so tired could sleep through everything. It was modern and clean and the service in the restaurant and hotel very good, The food was good and the breakfast which was included in the price was good, with lots of fresh fruit, which was what we wanted. A nice time. It was so easy to hop on a bus to town, and later when had a car, we felt we had the best of both worlds.

Room Tip: If you want quiet don't take a front balcony
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aimtoplease
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had a private twin. Dorm doesn't look good. 2 nights was enough really. Good for meeting people

• Stayed November 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Aquarius On The Beach
Nadi Bay Resort Hotel
Mercure Nadi
Mercure Nadi
#10 of 26 in Nadi

Been to Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel? Share your experiences!