“Club Fiji Resort not a good choice”
Review of Club Fiji Resort

Club Fiji Resort
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here at the end of our trip for 4 nights from 31-Dec-2012. Overall we were very disappointed with our experience. The rooms were a very tatty for the price, and things went downhill from there.

First up there was no internet during our whole stay, something I notice other reviewers have noted, so the excuse that the cyclone was to blame is not believable. 6 other properties we stayed at had no such issues.

The fridge in the room was broken, and required 3 trips to the front desk to get fixed. It also had to be fixed in the middle of our dinner, so cold dinner was the price of a working fridge.

The air conditioner was so noisy it was only rivalled by the aircraft taking off at the nearby airport. Actually to be fair it was way noisier than the planes.

Bed sheets looked clean, but the towels were the oldest towels I have ever seen. Greying and threadbare. When you could get one that is, a couple of days there was only one to share. The face flannel had a brown stain so we elected not to use it.

The pool was cloudy and greenish looking so we did not use it, although others did. Generally the grounds were in poor condition, some of which would be cyclone damage.

Meals in the restaurant were OK, although very expensive compared to other places, and the included breakfast was good. The bar staff were excellent, very friendly and went out of their way to help us. Pity the management were not.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank darklightphotos
There are newer reviews for Club Fiji Resort

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have travelled the world (including many third world countries) and stayed in many places. As I have aged, I have upgraded my stays to mid-range levels and generally get what I pay for in facilities and services. But I was outraged with my experience at Club Fiji "Resort" and wish I had read more recent reviews before booking here for 2 nights Dec. 2012 whilst waiting for my flight home. I also stayed one night at the Tanoa on arrival in Fiji 2 weeks prior and was very pleased with that venue. Here are the reasons I do not recommend you stay at Club Fiji. The prices I cite below are Fiji dollars:

1. When I went to the front desk to tell them that my bure lacked a remote control for the Air Con that they told me it was becauyse I would have to pay a $18/night surcharge for AC to be given the remote control. This additional charge was not advertised on their website, nor included in my reservation information for my "ocean view bure." And was on top of the $140/night room price. A first in all my travels in mid-range accomodations.

2. Upon checkin, I was informed that a separate charge of $100 would be assessed to my credit card for approximately 1 month AFTER my stay to ensure that there was no damage or theft. Huh? A first in all my travels in mid-range accomodations.

3. Note that Club Fiji provides free shuttle service from the airport to ensure customers arrive. But there is a $15 fee to return you to the airport.

4. Bad location. You can't walk anywhere since there is nothing close by except a lover's point/garbage dump site at the beach. Signs are poset in your room and outside warning you to beware. We were told not to walk around at night. And they call it a "resort?"

5. Very expensive, bad food. And you have no choice since you can't walk anywhere else to eat. Example: $7 for a small pieces of fruit for breakfast. $18 for eggs.

6. Rather ugly beach. I decided to stay here our last night rather than going to back to the Tanoa since it was advertised as a beach resort and I wanted to enjoy the ocean one last time. However in hindsight the location next to the beach was not worth it at all.

This is not a backbacker level hotel. Their rates are on par with other hotels in the Nadi area (not Denereau) that are much better, such as the Tanoa where we stayed several weeks previous (no AC surcharges, no $100 retainer to be held for one month after our departure, free shuttle service to and from the airport, and safe location.)

Fellow travellors using tripadvisor have given me great tips. I rarely give negative feedback but hope that this helps forewarn others.

8  Thank travelbug169
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for a night while transitting.

I think the resort is in a lovely location but unfortunately, the beach is a letdown and would not fulfill travellers' dreams. This is why it is fgood or a night or so to get some energy before going to your next destination.

The bure is nicelly designed. apart from tv, you have everything you need . It seems like the property is a bit tired.

The reception and the main dinning area are nice and comfortable. We tried breakfast , lunch and dinner. It was ok and pricey.

The staff make the afford to help you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I and my wife stayed in Club Fiji for 8 days in October 2012. In our last night our room has been broken in. My wife’s passport, her jewelry, my wallet, credit cards, cell phones, cash… have been stolen. Early in the morning I ran to call the guardians who were sleeping in the lobby’s sofa. I have asked them to call the police or the manager, in vain. Only half hour later the hotel’s driver called the police. We have not received any support or help from the management, although my wife has missed her flight and we had to request a travel document in Australia for her.
People from Air New Zealand who helped were not surprised. In the police station the detective in charge confirmed that it is very unsafe and suggested me to go to another hotel until leaving Fiji.
The hotel has no fences in the back and anyone can get in. Guardians sleep in the night and I was told they had no credit in their cell phones to call the police.
The worse is the way the Hotel’s owner and its manager reacted. They do not take responsibility for the lack of security in their property.
This hotel is a black sheep in Fiji. I have traveled the world and this is the first time it happened to me. Club Fiji never more.

Room Tip: The entire hotel is unsafe
15  Thank Fred C
trvellingang, General Manager at Club Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Re Fred

As our normal procedure the matter was reported to police by our resort driver who was at the resort about 545am on that morning. When the police came to investigate Fred and his wife hesitated to be interviewed by them and have the room looked at but instead rushed off to airport saying they had to get in contact with the Brazilian consulate. Later in the day he and his wife were driven in the company vehicle to the airport to sort out travel documents and driven back to the resort. When the resort manager called the police to find out the progress into the report made they said there were no complaints about any robbery but Fred had a reported that some of his documents were misplaced somewhere. According to Fred he and his wife went to bed about 11.30pm and woke up about 5am. They said the y had locked the main door and the fly screen door. Upon thorough check there was no sign of a break in but Fred said that when he woke up he found the main door ajar. The bure has a wooden floor how could a robber open two doors walk on a wooden floor go through all bags etc while there are two people sleeping in the room. The resort was almost full during the mentioned period and the bure Fred and the wife stayed in is on the beachfront. There are two other rows of bures behind the beachfront bure bures. The back of the resort is fenced. There are over 20 security lights full on during the night with 3 security person ell patrolling the property from 6pm to 8am daily. Only upon a lot of persuasion by the manager Fred went to the police station to give his statement. They flew out next morning

Navin

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I travell around a world all my life I seen bed and great but never this bed is absolutly the worst place I ever stay!! I would deeply recomended to everyone DON'T GO IN CLUB FIJI RESORT !!!
Stuff are so unprofesionall no Good Morning,no How r ?!etc Main restoran same issues very poor service and also food is horrible ,this place doesn't deserve to be marked with no more then two stars.

9  Thank ranko d
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Having been to Fiji quite a few times this year, this was the first time I stayed at Club Fiji, and I would recommend it.

It's one of those nice quiet little places that is not overly fancy, great food and easy unwind and relax here.

ROOMS: we had a bure on the beach, bed was super comfy and sheets were clean and fresh. Shower had hot water, and plenty of towels were provided. There was a fan in the room, and an air on which when we asked reception how to use they said it would be an extra charge, so we didn't worry about it as the temperature was just nice anyway.

RECEPTION: this was their biggest downfall, and the only employee with a fake smile. Not very helpful on check in, and we're initially made to feel like intruders. We avoided reception as much as possible during our stay.

BAR and RESTAURANT: great bar, with great drinks, and staff were helpful and happy. I would always look forward to this part of the day! great place to meet new people, listen to some Fijian music, have a cocktail of the day....I couldn't wipe the smile off my face! There were a lot of items on the menu to choose from, the food was fresh and tasty, and it never seemed to take too long from ordering to eating.

GETTING THERE: it's a $15 FJD taxi fare from the airport, they have a shuttle from the airport but I opted for a local taxi as the shuttle left without me while I snuck into the car park for a ciggie. Once you go through Nadi, it appears like you are being hijacked as the car rolls along a very bumpy dirt road, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. But rest assured that most roads are not in good repair, and the damaged houses were from devastating floods at the beginning of the year, it has taken a long time to recover...and is still the topic of conversation with any taxi driver.

All in all, I would recommend for anyone looking for something a little less sterile than any five star resort. I know I will be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stuff the worst we ever seen except one guy Fay menager from pizza restoran he was a highlight of d resort !We been beeten by bed bugs omg rush all over my face and chest :(( Food horrible in d main restoran,stuff r so rude and unprofessional everything its so dirty and all resort falling in to the peaces !!! We will never be back and who ever we spoke in resort said d same ! Shame on you Mr.owner to let a such potential place to get in this poor condition ;(( !!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Solaja
trvellingang, Owner at Club Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

This review leaves me bewildered I continually get comments about my staff that they are extremely friendly and how much thay go out to help all nour guests ..they are never rude .
Being fijian they tend not respond when verbally abused and criticised
Comments that the Resort is falling to pieces is totally absurd i spend around $6000 a month maintening all buildings and all bures especially caring for all the timber
We do not have bed bugs,(why were we not informed /) we are extremely fussy with all linen towels matresses etc we would have been told by guests before or after this stay if there was a problem..In fiji there are many insects like mosquitoes , sea lice ,sand flies which can cause lumps rashes swelling these can be contacte any where.. Owner GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
Tropic of Capricorn
#3 of 25 in Nadi
Fiji Gateway Hotel
Tokatoka Resort Hotel

Been to Club Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!