“A budget level accommodation, needs renovating.”

Aquarius On The Beach
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
“A budget level accommodation, needs renovating.”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Conveniently located 15-20mins from the airport, this is mostly a backpackers hostel with a few ensuite rooms available. The bed linen didn't look fresh or ironed and we asked for them to be changed. One large towel each was provided (no hand towels). The whole place had a tired look, in need of fresh paint (especially the bedrooms) and a facelift. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially in lugging our suitcases up and down the stairs (no lift). The food was reasonable, and fair value, though the chef didn't seem to know what fried eggs were (we got scrambled and had to explain how to cook fried eggs!). Nice beachfront location with a pool that we didn't get a chance to try. We stayed on our way to the islands and so it was ok for one night but don't think we will be back (unless it's renovated!).

• Stayed November 2013
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We note your comments about the bed linen and have verified with our housekeepers that the linen was fresh but may not have been ironed to a high standard, which has been stressed to them. Our hotel is only two floors, so we don't have an elevator, but we're glad that our staff assisted you in moving your bags up and down the staircase. Thank you for noting our convenient beachfront location and the quality and value of our food. We can assure you that our chefs know how to cook fried eggs, and the issue could have perhaps been miscommunication or a wrongly written order. We are currently in the process of renovating (new doors and windows, new paint), and you may have seem some of this work the one day you were there. We hope we can host you on your next trip to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much).

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

i stayed at the Aquarius three times on my ten day trip to Nadi and I never left disappointed. The staff here are some of the best I have ever experienced in a cheaper hotel. I would reccommend staying here to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank fletchiekins
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Bula and many thanks for your great review! We're very happy that you had a good experience at our hotel. Your very positive comments about our staff go a long way to encouraging them to continue our tradition of providing great customer service. And we're also thankful to you for recommending our hotel to other travelers. We hope we can welcome you back on your next trip to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much)!
Nadi
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My 4 year old son and I flew in from Honolulu to Nadi, and spent 2 nights at the Aquarius. We stayed in the ocean view room, upstairs with a large lanai/balcony and an incredible view. I am a native Fijian, have spent 21 years abroad and I would have to say that I would be the first one to criticize bad customer service in Fiji if I see one. But,I was very satisfied and impressed with the gang at Aquarius and the level of customer service they provided for us. The complimentary breakfast was great, and the walk on the beach was awesome and safe for kids. My son, is an ocean baby-he played by himself on the beach as I sat from the restaurant and watched him. I love Paul and all the receptionist, and all the gang in the kitchen -you folks are awesome....good leadership from the manager!!! I just have to say- the shopkeeper in the the small store has to go...he is extremely rude to customers,has no manners at all, and he gives Aquarius a bad name.BTW for those who love to stand up paddle, you can walk next door and rent a sup for $10 an hour-great deal! I paddled in the bay and to Denarau-I would definitely recommend this place to friends and families !!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Egi D
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Many thanks for your lovely comments! Your compliments about our great staff and our high level of customer service goes a long way to encourage our team to continue their efforts to make our guests feel welcome and at home. Your positive comments on our food and our beachfront location also help future guests realise the great value our hotel offers. We have spoken to the shopkeeper in the hotel's gift shop about your comments on his behaviour. Please accept our apologies for any rudeness he may have shown you. We hope you make Aquarius On The Beach your home away from home again on your next trip to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I originally had a reservation at a nearby hotel but the service there was terrible and they tried to charge me 4x the rate I was originally quoted. After having a nice meal and conversation at Aquarius while trying to figure out what to do I decided to stay there instead. Not only was this hotel much nicer than the neighboring options, the staff was amazing and it only cost $5 more per night. I ended up staying there a few times during the rest of my trip on occasions where I needed to pass through Nadi and I can't say enough about how friendly and accommodating the entire staff was. Special thanks to Donna for helping me to plan (and book) my entire trip through the Yasawas and the Coral Coast. This was the best experience I have ever had with a hotel's staff.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Karl V
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thanks for your great review! Our staff are always extremely happy when a guest appreciates the extra effort they put in to make someone's stay enjoyable. Thanks also for recognising our great value and excellent location as a base for your exploration of Fiji's many beautiful islands and sights. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu! (thank you very much)
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We spent our last night in fiji here and it was a very good choice. A grand house that has been converted into a small boutique hotel. We had a seaview second floor room with shared balcony giving some great views over the property past the palms and out to sea. The room was clean and sparsely furnished and the ensuite small but adequate.
Although backpackers are accommodated here they are few in number and located toward the back of the property. The two larger backpacker resorts are located nearby and they tend to congregate there to party on etc.
The free breakfast is a bit of a con if you are expecting more than three nicely presented pancakes.
The small bar, lounge and dining area leading out to the pool, garden and beach are pleasant areas to spend time in. The lounges however could do with a bit of revamp as they were a bit grubby and let the place down.
While the beach looks great from the balcony on closer investigation you discover it is a mixture of sand and river silt as the hotel is located close to the harbour and river mouth and
any rough weather turns the sea into a grubby brown. This is not an area I would swim in.
As we were leaving late in the afternoon we were given free of charge bag storage and a use of a day room which we were very grateful for.
We had several meals and they were good quality and great value for money.
I would recommend this hotel to friends as a great value for money 3 star resort with a couple of reservations. The shared balcony is great providing your neighbours are compatible.
The stairwell outside your door tends to reverbrate noise up from the communal areas below. This was not a problem for us as there appeared to be few guests while we were there.
There are no supermarkets and limited dining in the area and it would be necessary to take a taxi if you wish to access these - not that expensive.
Ask for a detailed printed account on leaving, I don't like it when receptionists do their own tally and present you with a total amount to pay, especially when they make a mistake.
(In our case we booked through "bookings.com" but were charged their rack rate )

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kboldkart
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thanks for your review. We're very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the view and cleanliness of your Ocean view room. We're also happy that you enjoyed the quality and great value of your meals in our restaurant. We take note of your constructive comments on improvements we can make at our hotel. In fact, since you stayed here in August, the lounge furniture has all been completely recovered. We are also redoing all of the cushion covers and bed runners in our private rooms. We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to Fiji, and will enjoy even more the intimate, quality environment that makes Aquarius On The Beach special. Vinaka vakalevu! (Thank you very much).
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed in the ocean view room, upstairs with a large balcony and awesome views. An honest opinion of this property is that is was very clean but tired in areas. This does not mean it didn't function. I ordered Kakoda which was the best I had on my entire stay in Fiji and extremely well priced. The bar was definitely not expensive but the best plug I can give is for the staff. They were always friendly and attentive. A traveller must remember that many of the photos we see are of the island resorts with amazing beaches. The beach here is not an island resort but I swam, kayaked and walked it and it was absolutely lovely. I relaxed in one of the 5 massive hammocks and enjoyed sitting around the pool. If I was asked would I stay here again, the answer is absolutely! One thing that would've been handy is having a small fridge in the rooms.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms with sea views. Good storage, large shower, Big balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Spicekiwi
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Bula! And what a great review! Thank you for your positive comments on our hotel's features and the friendly and attentive staff that we have. They are our biggest asset. Your comment on the "tired" aspect of our hotel is being addressed on an ongoing basis. We are constantly working to upgrade and maintain our rooms and common areas, and have only this week completed the installation of new bi-fold doors and windows in our restaurant and bar areas. Your comment on having a fridge is also noted. We do have two fridges that we provide on request, but we are planning on introducing more in the near future. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to Aquarius and to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu! (Thank you very much)
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Pros:
- Very friendly staff
- Good service (for example laundry)
- You'll meet a bunch of other travellers as there are just hostels around

Cons:
- Extremely(!) squeaky bunk beds, not easy to sleep this way
- European prices for food and drinks (which applies also to all the other hostels in the area). As there is no supermarket nearby, all hostels seem to profit from this situation and charge a lot for food and drinks
- Ocean is not very attractive to swim

Tip: Staffs and guests from all the hostels in the area gather at the Bamboo to sing and play guitar together.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 0711master
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Bula and thanks for your comments. We're glad you appreciated our friendly staff, good service and the experience of meeting other travelers. Your comment on your squeaky dormitory bed has already been addressed since you stayed here in July. A lot of maintenance was done in August on our dormitory rooms. Our meal prices are competitive with any restaurant in Fiji. An average lunch at our hotel costs 5.5 Euros (US$7.50) which, for a beachfront hotel, is very good value for the high quality of our meals. It's unfortunate that the water in the ocean may not have been clear during your stay. We had a lot of rain in July as that was our wetter season. We hope you come back again to enjoy our friendly service and great holiday experience. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
#12 of 25 in Nadi
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Aquarius On The Beach? Share your experiences!