“Friendly staff, great location”

Aquarius On The Beach
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Brisbane, Australia
“Friendly staff, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My friend and I have just returned to Australia after spending 12 nights at Aquarius on the Beach. We had a wonderful time and really felt pampered by the friendly staff. As it is a budget hotel, we didn't expect too much, but we were well satisfied with our rooms (adjoining doubles with a shared balcony on the first floor overlooking the beach).

We were also pleasantly surprised by the fact that you can spend quiet evenings by the pool with not too many people around, which means that you can go out to other venues for clubbing etc, or just hang around the pool for a more relaxed evening.

The manager, David, is always willing to help, as are all the staff. They really made us feel at home! Before we left, we didn't plan any activities and booked them all from the hotel - waterfall trip, Mud Pool experience, a sailing adventure to Castaway Island aboard the Seaspray - everything was easy to arrange and hassle-free. Catching the local buses into Nadi is also fun and it's not very far.

It really is a lovely location too. The beach is not the best though, brown sand, shallow water for quite a way out and a bit muddy underfoot, but still great for lying around and working on that tan.

We found our rooms to be clean and comfortable and I recommend booking a 1st floor room with balcony overlooking the beach and if the room servicing is sometimes a bit haphazard, it's easily fixed with a word to the receptionist. A word of warning about noise from the reception area. Lots of people come and go in the wee hours and the sound tends to travel, so I recommend earplugs!

The food is also very nice, but there is not much Fijian food on the menu and if you're expecting lots of local fruit and veges I recommend buying them cheaply at the Nadi markets.

Finally, a big shout out to Donna, Paula, Joeli, Salote T and Salote M, Ini, Jit, Abo, Sarah and anyone I may have missed. You made our stay truly memorable and we'll be back again next year!

Room Tip: The first floor balcony rooms overlooking the beach are highly recommended (There are 4 double rooms...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christopher L
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Many thanks for your great review! You've pointed out some of the unique qualities of our hotel, one of which is the personal attention we as a smaller hotel can offer our guests. We have made a note of your comment on the noise level from the front desk. Flights in and out of Fiji don't always happen at convenient times, but we'll definitely work on making check ins and check outs quieter. And thanks for your appreciation of our staff and remembering their names! Everyone at the hotel is committed to ensuring our guests enjoy their stay with us and their time in our lovely islands. Vinaka vakalevu! (thank you very much)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night before heading to coral coast, we had the ocean deluxe room and the view was breath taking. Very friendly staffs.
Just short taxi ride to the sleeping giant garden and market in town. The beach is right few steps down from the resort.
On another note, if you have young baby that sleeps early then it could be a bit noisy as music playing until 9-10pm

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lanaus
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Many thanks for your great review! We're glad you enjoyed your ocean view room and our friendly staff. You also pointed out the convenient location of our hotel for those who want to see some of the local sights, laze on the beach just outside the hotel, or travel to other parts of the country. We're sorry if our music may have disturbed your young baby. Our rooms are usually known to be very well sound proofed. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much).
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Aquarius: lovely staff, extremely friendly and helpful. The room: I got a free upgrade from a dorm to a garden view, so I was thrilled.

I think they might have a bed bug problem, because 2 days later I was covered in bed bug bites. My bad, I should have used some insect repellent, because bed bugs are everywhere in Fiji!

I had a great night sleep, the hotel is clean, the food is fine, and the complimentary breakfast is just 2 pancakes, so upsize the complimentary breakfast in portion and my stay would have gotten a 5 star rating.

All in all, great stay for a great price, and excellent staff, extremely good service. I like the souvenir shop next to Aquarius as well!

Room Tip: Bring your own snacks- drinks are way cheaper than food!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bula and thanks for your review. We're glad you appreciated our service, our helpful and "extremely friendly" staff and the food. While our restaurant dishes are not as cheap as takeaway snacks (as you pointed out), we offer excellent value and quality in our restaurant. Many people come to our hotel just to dine at our restaurant, which we find very rewarding. And we're also glad you liked the souvenir shop! Vinaka vakalevu (thanks very much)!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had two nights in Nadi to wait for our international flight and I wanted to stay on the beach rather than in Nadi which I had heard was crowded, dirty and touristy. I chose Aquarius based on good reviews. Being older, my friend and I chose to get a "premium" room with a private bath. We paid around $100 a night USD. There were to be two beds and since I travelled with a friend, we wanted to sleep separately. However, there was one excellent king size bed and one set of bunk beds with a 1 1/2 inch mat over a sagging wire frame for the second bed...we shared the bed. Then we found our sliding glass entrance door wouldn't lock and there was no safe in the room. We told the manager and they sent up a person who was very agreeable and said it would be repaired immediately. And it did lock....as long as we opened and closed it very carefully because the latch was now held in place with bits of styrofoam cut wedged around it...So as long as any people who wished to break in were equally gentle and careful with it, we were set. The maid didn't service our room, again, it was fine...we were only there two nights and we just went down and picked up fresh towels...which we got only after waiting a couple of hours while the ones we turned in were washed and dried. We found the restaurant food to be very minimal and poor...and the beach and pool seating area was cramped and hot., no lounge chairs were available. However, we found Smuggler's Cove next door had a lovely large open air deck and an excellent restaurant, so we spent much of our time over there. As long as we bought our meals and an occasional drink, we could sit and enjoy the sea, or lounge on the beach chairs and no one complained. I checked their prices and their "premium rooms" were about equal in price so I'd stay there next time. We could live with all this and took it with a sense of humor...while keeping our money and passports on our person at all times. A few more highlights of this quirky establishment: when we realized that the water in the showers is apparently metered...so 3 minutes and the water stops...no matter if the shampoo isn't rinsed out...and it may be hours before it comes on again. And on our last day, we had a late flight, so put our luggage in their "luggage room" after checking out...a plywood door barely hanging on its hinges, a hasp barely hanging on the wood and a BIG strong padlock. Again, made for gentle burglars. And they said we could take a shower in the public hostel showers but we never found water there...even to wash our hands or brush our teeth. The staff was nice and friendly but supremely unhelpful. I am guessing the owners are Australian or Indian slumlords that are taking advantage of the youth hostel crowd by giving them as little as possible for their money. I am so glad I had two weeks in other resorts and sections of Fiji, which is a beautiful country with lovely people and some superb resorts... because Nadi is kind of the armpit of the country. Also, next time, I would stay next door at Smugglers if I had to stay there to wait for a flight.

Room Tip: Next door at Smuggler's Cove...and only if you MUST stay in Nadi at all to make airline connecti...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lizacat T
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
We are sorry that you were not satisfied with some aspects of your stay in our hotel. We found some of your comments to be exaggerated and unfair. The room you occupied would have cost you no more than US$76, not $100. Our apologies if the bed had not been configured to your requirements on checkin. If this was requested in advance, the splittable king bed would have been split and remade to your request. We also apologise if you had some difficulty with your door lock. Because you checked in on the maintenance man's day off, a temporary "fix" had to be found until he returned the next day to repair it. Our housekeepers service all of our rooms everyday, and these are checked. Your room may have not been serviced until the afternoon, but we are very strict that our rooms are serviced and checked daily. We are also sorry that you did not find our luggage room to your satisfaction. Although it is not a vault, it is a secure room with a strong padlock and is is usually in sight of our front desk staff. The luggage room is a free service we offer our guests. Our rates and our service are considered by many of our guests to be great value and of high quality. We are sorry your stay was not as positive as for most of our other guests. We do hope you return to Fiji and enjoy the unique hospitality and beauty of our country. Vinaka (thank you)
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at Aquarius for 2 nights - one either side of our trip to the islands. We were quite surprised when we arrived on sunset to our ocean view room - it's a truly beautiful spot and it was great to wake up to the sound of the waves on our first morning in Fiji. The standard of cleanliness and the facilities were of a high standard, especially for the price. Also the restaurant had decent food at a reasonable price. But what really sets this place apart is the people who are friendly, warm and kind. The customer service and character here far exceeds much of what you'll find in Denerau. Great value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jesseliz
Bula and thanks for your great comments! You've highlighted in your review some of the best aspects of staying at Aquarius On The Beach - our beautiful location on the beach, our high standard of cleanliness, the quality of our meals, our "great value for money" and of course our excellent customer service. It is reviews like yours that encourage our staff to continue to provide the highest level of friendliness and professional hospitality that makes our hotel so special. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much)!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I would have agreed with all other reviews on this site had my clothes not been stolen from my dorm room. I found the staff friendly and helpful on my first night. Id booked to stay all week and the lovely man at reception arranged for me to go to island for a couple of night's, it was so quick and easy and I was so happy as I hadnt planned very well. As I had paid for my dorm for the week I was told I could leave clothes I didnt need in my dorm room. Aquaruis staff suggested this and i knew of no lockers available. When I returned I was told despite paying for a six bed dorm I was being moved to a 12 bed because theyd booked a group in my dorm. This wouldnt have been a problem (even thou I wasnt offerered the differnce in price back) but my clothes had dissapeared - after speaking to other travellers it seems they went the day I left! The staff were very unhelpful and didnt seem interested in helping work out what had happened! In the 12 bed dorm the beds were noisy and the whole bunk moved every time someone moved! There were also huge cockroaches and ive come away covered in bites. A few clothes wouldnt have been a big deal but there was no apology/understanding/desire to work out what may have happened and I had to return home in a sarong and tshirt in 5degrees. There was also never any $5 internet cards - only ten.travelling on a budget was not possible fr me during this trip and as I was alone struggled not to feel deflated. The smugglers up the road handed my change in two dollar notes - it wasnt untill I got to the airport and tried to use them I found out theure no longer accepted.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank joeypritchard
We're very concerned about your comments regarding your stay with us. We apologise if our staff suggested it was alright to leave your clothes in the shared dormitory room while you went out to the islands. While we do have many controls in place for our own staff, we cannot monitor and control the behaviour of those sharing the dorm rooms with you. Our staff should have recommended that you store your valuables in our free storage locker. In regards to your stay in the 12 bed rather than the 6 bed dorm, these are the same price and we try and accommodate guests who travel in groups whenever possible. This is why you were asked to move to the larger dorm room, to which you agreed. In regards to the $5 internet cards, these were unfortunately sold out during your stay and we had yet to receive our new supply from the internet provider. We hope you return to Fiji and give us a chance to show why the majority of our reviews are good ones. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The service in this hotel is exceptional . All staff did everything they could to make our stay really enjoyable. They offered a truely personal service marked by kindness and consideration. The setting is lovely .. Relaxing and beautiful. The food in the evening was also of exceptional quality. We would love to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Great review! Thanks so much for your positive comments about the "exceptional" service our staff provided. These comments always help encourage them to maintain their great service which is a mix of both professionalism and genuine Fijian hospitality. Thanks also for your comments on our lovely setting and our food quality. We sincerely hope you stay with us again. Vinaka vakalevu! (thank you very much!)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
Nadi Bay Resort Hotel
Mercure Nadi
Mercure Nadi
#10 of 26 in Nadi

Been to Aquarius On The Beach? Share your experiences!