“Loved this little Gem in this Paradise of Fiji and will return to Mercure”
Review of Mercure Nadi

Mercure Nadi
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed November 18, 2006

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank scor

Reviewed October 26, 2006

This is a ok place if you're purely looking for a clean bed in a convenient location. The hotel staff was indifferent sometimes, and service was slow... Overall, it's ok.

Since the hotel is still refurbishing all their rooms, make sure to ask for a newly renovated room. We got stucked to an old one w/ a slightly smelled bathroom. Yikes!

• Stayed: October 2006
7  Thank butterfly168
Reviewed October 14, 2006

My husband and I were afraid at first what the hotel was like when we drove through Martintar (the neighborhood is a bit shabby), but once we stepped inside, we felt much more at ease. The grounds are well-kept and the rooms are clean, simple and modern. We couldn't check in right away because we arrived extremely early, but the staff stored our luggage and invited us to wait in the lobby (complete with sofas and a flat screen TV) or get breakfast in their restaurant. We did both, I actually ended up falling asleep in the lobby! The staff actually rushed to get our room ready even though we were early and we were able to check in hours before we were supposed to.

Our room was cleaned daily and we always received a smile and "Bula!" There were, of course, some staff members who weren't as friendly, but no one was downright rude. Besides, people are allowed to have bad days! The only confusing part was the way they keep track of your meals and payment. Our package included paid breakfasts. Some days they asked us to sign a bill, on other days we simply turned in our vouchers and that was it. We made sure to keep track of what we charged to the room. But when we checked out, everything on the final bill was correct.

My husband and I took survey of the other hotels in the area. We feel the Mercure was by far the best. One of the highlights was the Saturday night dinner buffet. For the main course, you choose your own ingredients and the chefs stir-fry them up right in front of you. There are also traditional Fijian dancers and singers who perform. If you do stay for dinner on other nights, however, don't order the Basil Marinated Scallops. They were terrible. But other items on the menu were good.

Another word of warning, make sure to cover the pool-side chairs with towels if you lay down on them. I ended up with a rash on my back. The pools themselves, however, are cleaned daily and are lovely. There is also a spa located pool-side should you need a massage (extra cost). There are also cushions, a hammock, benches and umbrella-covered areas near the pool, and a swing set and play area for children.

No place is perfect, but overall, this is a great hotel that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
15  Thank anonymousvacationer
Reviewed September 20, 2006

We stayed here for a couple of nights in June and were pleasantly surprised. At around $100 a night you can't expect much, but we found the place to be modern, clean, great rooms and great restaurant. The food and drinks were fairly expensive, but what you save on the room makes up for that, and you dont have to eat there all the time there are other restaurants just across the road and a bottle shop in the building.

To anyone who needs to stay a couple of nights in Nadi and dont want to spend too much I highly recommend the Mercure. We had friends stay at other hotels within the same price range and they were old and aweful! These rooms were great! I thought the staff looked after us very well, helping us arrange tours and travel into town, couldnt have been happier.

To the person who hated it, I am not sure what you expected for your $100 a night but I thought this was well worth the money (or lack of it!).

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends
13  Thank nellybly
Reviewed September 14, 2006

This is without a doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Cosmetically it is nice to look at and the rooms, pool etc are very nice. However, the staff were rude, obnoxious and unhelpful from start to finish. I have never been treated with such disrespect in a hotel.

When we first arrived it was early morning. The staff at the hotel told us to go and have breakfast etc. The second we sat down we were presented with a $40 bill for two of us without being asked if we wanted the buffet breakfast. I had a slice of toast and had to pay this amount for that and nothing else. When asking the staff why I was told 'do not touch anything without asking me' by the waitress. From that moment we were treated terribly be all other staff. So be warned, if you sit own for breakfast even if it is just a glass of juice you will be charged $20.

When I checked out they asked if we had anything charged to the room. 'No' we said and the receptionist subsequently accused me of lying even though we didn't charge the room or provide a credit card.

Additionally, when we ordered room service after getting food poisoning we were told that they didn't have change and if we wanted it we had to go to the restaurant. As we were both sick this was unreasonable.

Also - be careful if ordering drinks on a tab. The drinks are extremely expensive - aprox $14 a cocktail. There are not many places nearby either so most guests ended up staying in the hotel. The room prices are reasonable but you pay more when you get there. If I was to return to Fiji I would definitely book a resort and pay more outright rather than stay in a place like this one!

Overall, the worst hotel experience ever. I will never go to a Mercure again if the Nadi one is anything to go by!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
13  Thank ClareB12345
Reviewed August 9, 2006

This hotel is unassuming from the front, but once inside, terrific. NIce and outdoors feel to the restaurant and bar area which is what you want in Fiji! Pool area is good too for a dip after a day out and about. We just used this hotel between trips out to the island and sightseeing around Nadi town, and no complaints. Staff friendly. Internet to send emails when we got back in the afternoons, and even a big screen TV and lounges in the reception lounge so that we didn't have to miss out on what was happening during the World Cup (which is when we were travelling).

All in all a great little budget hotel.

Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank Frostabelle
Reviewed June 22, 2006

The hotel looked a little funny when we drove up, but once inside it was very nice. I have no complaints, but make sure you get an updated room- not all of them are done yet!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business