“2 visits march 2013”
Review of Fiji Gateway Hotel

Fiji Gateway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The reception on arrival was excellent & the room was beautiful and the overall convenience to the airport made it a winner for us. The pool was of interesting design & the bar was close by. The dining room was authentic fijian

Room Tip: room 201 was beautifull
5  Thank ronfromOzNewcastle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed a total of 2 nights, (arriving and departing). We have stayed several times in past years and always found the Gateway to be an excellent choice. In previous years, we have stayed at the Mocambo and the Tanoa, but the Gateway is cheaper and I consider better value for money. First night we stayed in room 201 which was good, 2nd night in 205 although slightly different we preferred this room. Both rooms were classified as executive and cost F$205 per night converted to Aust $116 at the conversion rate of the day.The cost in US would also be about $116.
Its not advisable to decide on the cheaper budget rooms as they are very small and not a good standard. The executive rooms are really small studio apartments not exactly the usual rooms. They are the way to go...a large swimming pool was just outside both our rooms and very tempting. Connected to the pool was a long water slide for those interested. Food was of an acceptable standard and certainly cheaper than what is available on the outer islands. We decided to eat our evening meals in the inside airconditioned restaurant for our last meal. I had been told previously that steak available in Fiji is as follows...if its from Australia its no good...if it's from New zealand it's no good, and if It's from Fiji it's road kill. Surprise the steak was actually great and very enjoyable; who knows maybe it came from the USA. A hotel courtesy vehicle is available to transport guests to and from the airport. The service is very prompt as the journey takes only several minutes. I would certainly recommend this as an excellent transit hotel which offers top large executive rooms at good value prices, and the rooms are very well maintained.Nothing negative to report.

Room Tip: room 205 was well placed, away from the entertainment area near the restaurant,where two hotel Fijia...
1  Thank musketBrisbane
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a great hotel for a quick stop in Nadi. A day room or one night is good, after that it would be time to move on - only because it is next to the airport (free shuttle or you could easily walk) and in the middle of nowhere. Busses do run into Nadi, but Nadi itself doesn't have much to offer. Rooms are clean, nice pool, food is fine. I booked through Hotel.com and didn't have any problems, I just sent the hotel our flight details and they picked us up. Best place to change money is Western Union, outside customs. Skip the banks, they aren't as generous. Also be aware that depending on where you go in Fiji that most shops are closed Sunday.

1  Thank Canberrayankee
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Raffles Gateway is a great place to get a day room in between flights to and from Fiji. The rate is reasonable and the room is as well. The food is wonderful and the staff very friendly. The pool is very nice and refreshing...just what we need to rest up for our long journey home.

1  Thank JackShanaRoberts
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

It's taken me a while to write this review due to the tragic circumstances surrounding this trip to Fiji in July 2012.
My father aged 73 years, daughter 20 years and I stayed at Raffles Gateway Nadi on 25th July 2012. It was booked through an agent as I wanted to be close to the airport and not travel from Suva to Nadi on the 26th July to board out 1.30pm flight to Sydney.
This seemed like the perfect and easiest soloution, wake leisurely and have a stress free morning before boarding our departing flight. On the morning of 26th July 2012, my perfectly fit and healthy father became ill at 4am in the morning with vomiting. This ceased. At this point I suspected food poisoning from fish he had eaten along the coral coast during our travel to Raffles.
At the time I thought it was 8am but have since learnt it was 7 am my daughter woke me to say that grandpa had pooed all over the floor. When I awoke I saw my father standing beside my daughters bed apologising profusely, shaking and weak. I immediately led him to a shower and ensured he was comfortable whilst my daughter and I attempted to clean the floor using the sheets from the beds. My daughter went and found a housekeeper and requested a mop. As the room reaked my daughter later went to the housekeeper and requested air freshner. In the mean time I was caring for my father. The housekeeper obviously curious came to inspect. I was in the process of making my father comfortable on the bed and had now rung family in Suva to tell them he was now ill and was concerned about flying. I was quite shaken and they informed me to go to the front desk and ask for a drs number saying he was a well known doctor. Failing that they said the hotel should be able to locate a doctor.
I went to the front desk and spoke to the manager on call informing them that my father was ill and that I needed a doctor as I had a 1.30pm flight but did not want to fly if he was too unwell. I asked for the doctors number suggested which they handed to me and I went back to my room and rang.
There was no answer. My family contacted me again and I told them there was no answer. They then gave me another name which I then looked up on the telephone book and rang. Dr sharmas receptionist told me that he was fully booked and could not see me. I went back to reception and explained what happened. I told her to try a doctor for me and she told me there was no doctor available. The front desk manager in a very laid back fashion offered me another phone number - this was dr Sharmas number. The housekeeper came to reception and said she was telling the hotel manager what was happening. My daughter and I spent the next few hours trying to locate a doctor. My daughter and I were both very distressed and crying. We were monitoring my father who we had made comfortable in the bed. I remembered reading that the hotels handbook had said 24hr medical assistance I told my daughter to go to the front desk and demand what they had advertised. My daughter argued with the front desk manager explaining that get grandpa was quite ill and needed a doctor only to be told again there was none.I rang my family in Suva who were in disbelief that I could not find a doctor. The front desk manager made no calls apart from the first call. She offered us no assistance. She did not come to the room at all to check on my fathers condition. The hotel manager knowing the situation did not come to the room to assess the situation or offer assistance. I was not offered any soloutions despite our obvious state of distress. We did not know what was wrong with dad other than that he may have food poisoning. We kept offering him fluids to keep him hydrated. The housekeeper stopped me to pray for him and hugged me telling me to be strong and that it would be okay. My family messaged me to tell me that I had missed check in for our flight. My daughter and I were frantic I called my husband in Australia, I called my colleagues in community services to determine what I should do, I was extremly frightened. Still no help from anyone in a managerial position. I called my family they could not believe the lack of professionalism by hotel staff but then stated "well this is typical fiji this is what we have to live with here". After hours of desperation I made the decision to take dad home where I knew I could get him medical care. I contacted my husband who was going to arrange ambulance upon our arrival. At this stage dad appeared weak there was no vomiting and no further diarrhoea. He knew what day it was but he was extremly weak.
My father walked into raffles gateway hotel on the 25th July carrying luggage and was wheeled out in a wheelchair the following day. I was so upset i didnt even think to contact my travel insurance. Fellow guests watched as we walked beside him struggling with half packed items and tears streaming down our face. The front desk manager just handed me my bill on check out - no remorse - no empathy - no assistance. They couldn't lift dad into the courtesy bus that takes hotel guests to the airport so we had to lift him into a taxi.
At the airport we explained that we had not been able to get a doctor all morning - they asked if he was okay to fly- we explained what had happened and that we had not been able to get a doctor all morning - a supervisor came abs said that he would have to see doctor. Again no doctor came.
My father died that day they had to turn the Air Pacific flight around and return to nadi because he became so ill aboard the flight. Even after 2 hours in the air and the pilot alerting the ground crew there was no doctor when the plane landed. There was an Australian paramedic and an Australian doctor on board the flight. They had made the decision to turn the plane around. After landing and i now know we were on board the plane for 45 minutes waiting for a medical crew to arrive and take dad to the hospital. They began CPR aboard the plane in front of all the passengers. my daughter heard and saw her grandfathers rubs break.They later dumped his body removing hom from the plane on a food catering truck. Nadi international airport had no procedures in place for an emergency landing. The events that followed were just as bad and can be read and listened to at ABC Australia. Sean Dorney journalist told our story in the hopes of saving other Australians. I later wrote to Raffles Gateway and numerous authorities and visited the Australian High Commission in Fiji. I learnt that Australians dying from poor emergency procedures or suffering from botched surgeries is a common problem in fiji. So why don't we know about this here in Australia? Raffles gateway manager Hari Singh responded with a letter with an underlying condescending tone. I wasn't at all sure that he actually read my letter because he was under the misconception that the hotel had helped me in every way possible despite me clearly stating that the hotel provided no medical assistance or any other help. On my return to Australia I googled hotels with 24hour medical care in fiji - raffles gateway is listed. Raffles gateway also states in its guest services that it provides 24hr medical assistance.
My family and I have suffered immeasurably as a result of Raffles Hotel failing to provide duty of care to us. They had a moral and ethical duty to assist us in every way possible and this did not happen.

Stayed: July 2012
32  Thank Clarivan93
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Set in the surroundings of lovely tended tropical gardens directly opposite the airport, we were surprised that there was no major jet noise, considering its location.
The rooms looked to have undergone a mini makeover recently. Being a family of 5, we had 2 rooms, both of which were very clean, of a good size and had everything we needed.
The pool was great and was a hit with our kids, (young and old).
We enjoyed a few drinks at the bar while enjoying the company of the barman (sorry I cant remember his name, but he was Fijian-Indian).
The restaurant was nice and clean. We had dinner and breakfast here and the food was great and very well priced.
All staff we encountered were very helpful, happy and seemed to be enjoying their jobs.
Our check-in/out was speedy and done with a smile. So lovely to see.
We have stayed at a few motels in Nadi on our visits and we wouldnt hesitate in staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank cricket123
Reviewed March 14, 2013

When they say this hotel is right opposite the airport - they're not wrong! It is literally a 4 minute walk from the front entrance of the hotel to the international terminal, I know because I timed myself walking! And for being that close to an airport - you can't hear a darn thing! I made reservations online for a Deluxe Family Room of 1 double bed & 2 singles for 3 adults and 2 toddlers and couldn't believe how cheap the price was - naturally I expected a really crappy room. Was really pleased with the size of the room and the cleanliness. I'd also requested a room on the ground floor and they were able to accommodate. We stayed for one night but had I known the rooms were this great I probably would've booked a couple more days. The staff were FANTASTIC in accommodating and entertaining my 2 over-active toddlers. The pool was perfect for family fun and just cooling off. Will definitely stay again - and longer this time! We were very impressed.
PROS:
- close to the airport
- great value for money
- very reasonable prices on the menu (comp to Denarau!!)
- lovely staff
- good sized and clean rooms
- complimentary shuttle
- very family friendly
CONS:
- I should have booked longer! - don't get me wrong, this is by no means a 5-star hotel, but it's convenient, fantastically priced, clean and family-friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DancingWave
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
2 mi away
Tropic of Capricorn
Tropic of Capricorn
#3 of 25 in Nadi
Nadi Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Fiji Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!