“Cockroach central”

Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Cockroach central”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My stay started alright with pleasant staff at reception, but then ran downhill rapidly. An unpleasant two nights with several families of cockroaches sharing my room. Meanwhile the air conditioning barely blew any cold air (probably so the cockroaches didn't get cold!) - it was set at 16C when I arrived and the room probably never went below 25C, about 2C less than outside. Also the flat screen TV may as well not have been there. The reception was abysmal and the selection of channels was terrible.

But the worst of all was the continental breakfast which consisted of some fruit from which I managed to pick up food poisoning, probably a water borne bug. Yes you guessed it, the dreaded Nadi version of Delhi belly! Just as well it was my first breakfast otherwise I would have been on the plane home when things erupted about 4.30pm that afternoon.

Being in a tender state that evening I was very mindful to choose carefully from the restaurant menu for something to eat. I thought the seafood chowder would be as filling as I could manage. It was the worst chowder I have ever had the misfortune to have served to me. It was a totally flavourless medium viscosity potato soup with a token couple of small bits of mussel thrown in. By adding salt and pepper I was able to improve it to taste salty and peppery!

All in all not a happy experience that I will never repeat. My advice, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a working air conditioner and take a book.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

After a Virgin Australia flight to Sydney had it's numbers cut, we were forced to find emergency accommodation near Nadi overnight. Novotel (which I stayed at during this same trip) and Mecure were both booked out, and I remembered people here had talked about Raffles before.

With suitcases in tow we trundled our bags from the International airport already feeling exhausted and dejected about being stuffed around for over and hour by Virgin.

We were greeted with a smile by a staff member, in the very traditional looking foyer. She asked "Can I help you", to which I replied "Gees I hope so". She smiled and said they had one room left, and I replied "we'll take it".

The room was one of the renovated Deluxe Rooms. The bed was absolutely superb and so comfy (pillows and bed were very supportive), and the flat screen tv on the wall a nice touch. It's an honest, well appointed room, with a nice bathroom. It reflects the hotels rating well.

Relaxing after a tedious and frustrating day we headed to dinner. The prices for fine dining " Bure Restaurant" where actually not too bad, so we ate there. For the type of hotel, the food was best described as honest meal with a "home cooked" feel. The presentation wasn't amazing, but the food quite tasty and a generous serving, and lets be honest, that's where it counts. The desert menu is simple, but the coconut ice cream was a nice finish to the meal.

Staff went above and beyond given we turned up looking wrecked from the days events. They were always courteous, understanding and made us feel well looked after.

For the Aussies out there, it has a very "Country Comfort" feel to the place.

All in all I'd certainly recommend Raffles to others.

We had stayed during this trip at Novotel Nadi, and feel that it is fair to compare both.

Novotels newly renovated rooms are better, but their older rooms are definitely second to Raffles.

Food at both places, Novotel was better presented, but Raffles nicer and better priced.

When you compare room prices though, and the location of Raffles (plus the pool), it's hard to go past recommending Raffles as the best stopover hotel in Nadi.

Room Tip: The renovated deluxe rooms are actually really nice.
3 Thank Mitch007
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The pool at this place rules. It's the perfect place to stop over before heading to the islands. Rooms have aircon, beds are large and comfy, showers warm with good pressure. I not gona rave about the restaurant menu, but its adequate and the Pina Coladas are really good. It's right opposite the airport, as in u can walk there! But u don't hear the planes. The only disadvantage is its the 2nd stop on pickup for Denerau, so u have an hour journey to pick up everyone else.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank susiecampgirl
Cle Elum, Washington
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I chose the Raffles Gateway because I had NO idea where to stay in Nadi and it had decent reviews. It proved to be quite nice with a great pool, comfy rooms, and courteous hotel staff. The restaurant was also quite acceptable and reasonable. Don't hesitate to stay here! The price was also good (about $100 USD). My next stay, however, will be at the First Landing. It is also close to the airport but very romantic and on a beautiful beach. It is also more expensive at just over $200 USD so the choice depends on your priorities. BEST ROOMS FOR RAFFLES: If you have kids that want to be close to the pool pick ground floor rooms facing the pool. If you want lots of quiet choose the ground floor rooms in the back facing lawn and flowers. The patios are very nice.

Room Tip: Ground floor by the pool for families, ground floor in the back with the patios facing the back.
1 Thank lakecleelum
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Had to stay a night here for next morning flight back home. Last year we stayed at Novotel. Was alright and this time we wanna try this given I would spend more time in the hotel while many said wonderful things about the pool.

The truth is the pool was indeed cool. The slide provided much fun even to adults like me. The hotel looked like some bug motels in the California with palm trees around. We didn't get the refurbished room that many got, which really torn down the score. It was a tiring room. It looked clean until i caught a roach: he might've sneaked in while i entered. The bed was aged as expected. Even it was clean the bedsheets felt like it were older than me (remember this hotel was dated 1969). I was given a third floor room, which required 2 stairs up. No elevators. The bellman "helped" me pull up our 2 suitcases to there, then unwilling to leave the room until I gave him tips: hey was I the one asking for a 3rd floor room?

So the pool didn't really make me feel any better when returned to the room, given I knew paying similar price I could've lived in a much modern room in Novotel.

Hotel dinner was reasonably priced and not bad. We didn't take the breakfast but heard from the group that took the airport shuttle with us that no hot stuff was offered at FJD13 pp.

Not Neil they claim all rooms are refurbished, you may test your luck.

Aurora, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was heading home to Canada from a business trip to Suva, and had to wait two days for my trip home. The pool area is fabulous, and very relaxing when the sun shines. The restaurant is good, with nice staff and good, reasonably priced food. The rooms are dated, and the TV fare is AWFUL. with poor quality and basically, only one channel (CNN) plus bollywood movies. This is a problem when it's raining, which was the case for one of my days.

Still, it is clean and the staff are very nice. The "day rate" - noon, to 6 pm, is pretty steep, at $FJ131, but I pretty well had to do it, as my flight home was at 10:30 pm -- would have been nice to have a longer stay at that rate.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the pool, which is the big attraction at this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The real selling point of this hotel is the pool. We stayed for one night pre island and then one night post island and all the kids wanted to do was go down the slide over and over and over...:-) It was no good for the big kids (parents!) though, not enough speed!
Rooms were modern and clean. We had a deluxe room with two queen size beds. Two small negatives: the tv position was an absolute pain in the butt. It is on the wall next to the kids bed yet it should have been on the wall in front of the main bed because once the kids were asleep we couldn't watch anymore even if we wanted to, weird setup! Also the rooms are really dark and need more lights, I could see sod all late at night when we finally got the kids out of the pool and had to use a torch to find stuff we needed out of the suitcase!
Staff were friendly and efficient. I had the most amazing chicken curry meal on the last night before flying back home, but unforunately by the time I got to Auckland airport I had a verrry upset tummy, ugg. To be fair it may not have been the curry but I only had toast to eat that day so hmmm... was a damn fine curry at the time though lol!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kiwiana4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Tropic of Capricorn
Tropic of Capricorn
#3 of 25 in Nadi
Aquarius On The Beach

Been to Fiji Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!