“OKAY”

Ranked #3 of 19 Nadi B&B and Inns
Suva, Fiji
“OKAY”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

its very cozy but not as clean as it should be. when we checked in, room wasn't ready and there was cockroaches everywhere. the pool is small but great for chilling. relaxng place good atmosphere.very convenient to all the shops. just okay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 001StephyBaby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bribie Island, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My first experience in Fiji was when I came alone and stayed at Sandalwood. Years later I am still coming back, despite staying over much of Fiji, Sandalwood is 'home'. Did not stay here last year, this place is so popular that often, my impulsive bookings find Sandalwood full! So this time I have booked my 2 Fiji trips acc already, ensuring that 'there is room in the Inn'.

I am aware changes are afoot and incredible shoes need to be filled. However, Sandalwood is a well oiled machine and I am sure the staff can do their jobs blindfolded and with hands tied behind their backs. Much of their loyalty I believe is due to the wonderful management/ownership that has been Angela and family - a lesson I am sure some could learn a heck of a lot from.

For the prices, these rooms are SO WELL equipped and spacious, with plenty of power points (now even more necessary for the technology we tend to carry these days). With the Jetpoint Supermarket around the corner, supplies are plentiful and for anyone staying for a while, a trip to Nadi or Namaka Fruit and Veg Market will give you supplies at an excellent price, much more so than the supermarkets. Take a taxi and ask them to wait or take the bus 70c and taxi back if you have a heavy load.

Eateries within walking distance include my new favourite 'Taste Fiji' heading to the airport on the right, the Japanese restaurant in the opposite direction, Tu's place, Anna's (best coffee in town) and The Bounty. In Nadi, Nadi New Farmers Union (behind Tappoos) and Mama's Pizza for when you are famished.

Good luck Sandalwood for the future, I am sure there will be changes but by keeping the fundamentals, I am sure all will be well :) Vinaka for the years of joy you have given me, so far. Oh and see you next month LOL!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank JubblyOnBribie
Australia
Reviewed December 21, 2013

At the last minute I had to book a flight and accommodation in Nadi. I emailed the Sandalwood, but I was informed they were having problems with their IT carrier. I called the front desk and made the booking and within the hour I had an email from the Manager, apologising for the confusion, confirming and providing details. No problems at all and everything was taken care of to my liking. My room was again upstairs in The Orchid wing. It was very spacious with a large balcony and a view of the hills and the pool. As I have already mentioned in previous reviews, I have often stayed at the Sandalwood over the years. I see that new items have been purchased for the room (e.g. mini-oven). The staff are always so helpful, friendly and caring and I have witnessed this with all guests. This time I particularly enjoyed seeing familiar faces at the staff Christmas party to which I was invited. The food and the kava were excellent. This is the friendliness of Fiji right here at this little lodge. There are different restaurants nearby and you can easily walk to them as Sandalwood does not serve meals. Again - I would recommend walking down the main road to Taste of Fiji Kitchen. Fresh organic produce is used and the staff there are very helpful. If you happen to be in Nadi town - try Saffron's for breakfast or lunch at the back of Jack's Handicrafts along the main street.
I cannot count the number of times I have stayed at the Lodge (or at the Inn - before this establishment) but my wife and I (as well as other friends) have always been treated very well. This is great value for the money particularly if you are on a budget or perhaps an expense account with a government agency. The front desk people are great and can easily arrange a taxi for you, or tours for that matter. My very best wishes to the Sandalwood Gang for the holiday season. Happy 2014 and I hope to see you again! (Just a small reminder to visitors in Fiji - many hotels do have a Christmas/year end fund to help the staff members. If you would like to leave funds for the staff - just ask at the front desk. The Sandalwood has such a system. It is a great idea to show your appreciation for good service at the hotel).

Room Tip: I like the upper level of the Orchid Wing at the back. Seems to be a little quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tevorolevu
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have been trying to make a reservation at the Sandalwood Lodge for 2014. This has been going on for months. I have sent emails, called them numerous times (at considerable cost to myself) with no reply from anyone there especially Angela who is the so-called Manager.

I have given upon this property and booked another hotel in Nadi. So I suggest to all Trip Advisor members or anyone else who is thinking about staying here, think again and give this second rate joint "the flick"

Room Tip: Don't go
Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BALIJUNKIE

Travelers are raving about these Nadi hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The Best Budget 5 Star accommodation in Nadi. The Lodge was recommended to me by a very great friend who works in the tourism industry. The Lodge rooms are so clean, as is it's surrounding gardens, makes you feel at home very cosy. The rooms are self-contained which is a bonus, you can do your own cooking if you don't feel like eating out. The Lodge is situated in a very nice place, walking distance to the busy main street and all eateries/nite clubs and the Beach. I would strongly recommend the Lodge to anyone stopping over in Nadi. Last but not least, the staff are so very helpful/friendly and always smiling no matter if it's raining or storming, thats why Fiji is called the Friendly Isles.

Room Tip: Please stay at The Sandalwood Lodge, the best budget accommodation in Nadi, money is nothing, it'...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank neveragain157
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Sandalwood Lodge is classified under B&B but they do not serve breakfast. This was not a problem as there are good places nearby such as Tu’s Place, which is about 150 metres up the road.

Sandalwood is a good, cheap place for a transit stay. It is not as close to the airport as you might think, but a free shuttle service is provided. It is located on a residential street off the main road, and is quiet.

Upon arrival in the evening, the walk along the upstairs outside corridor to our room was a bit disconcerting as there were cane toads along the way.
However, once you entered the room, all was good. The room we had was clean, had insect screens and security grills. It had a kitchenette so you could self-cater.

The bedspread was a bit old and worn out; but I was reassured once I pulled it back to find fresh, clean, fairly new bedsheets. The bed was comfortable.

The lady at reception was helpful and recommended places to eat. The shuttle bus driver drove us to Tu’s Place which we found to be at a walkable distance. The food was good (see separate review) so we also went there for breakfast.

We did not use the other facilities but the pool and gardens looked nice and well-maintained.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Louise C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a basic clean budget accommodation but what makes it so wonderful are the friendly staff. They get to know your name and always take the time to talk to you and make you feel welcome. The cleaning staff, especially Emily are terrific, Joe the pool/garden guy, Sisi, Nancy and Rebeka at the front desk, even the night staff are ready with a welcoming smile asking how your day was. This is a terrific place to transit if you are spending a night or two in the Nadi area.

Room Tip: We were in the Orchid rooms at the back which might be quieter than the ones nearer the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank socwal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Nadi Bay Resort Hotel
Aquarius On The Beach
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hotel Oasis? Share your experiences!