“Tokatoka an underestimated gem.”

Tokatoka Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
suva
“Tokatoka an underestimated gem.”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I live in Fiji and have traveled extensively and stayed in many local hotels & resorts and Tokatoka is one of my favourites. For dollar value this place is unbeatable. Its only a few mins from the airport, though you wouldn't know it as there is no overhead airline noise. Last week I flew into Nadi after a horrible flight from Wgton, walked out of the international arrivals and was met by a smiling face who whisked me off to Tokatoka in their shuttle bus. My room was a little worn from wear but clean, spacious and with a comfortable bed. The restaurant menu was quite good and well priced and I could see the cooks preparing my delicious toasties from the cocktail bar. The staff seemed genuinely happy in their employment. I'll be back to Tokatoka in a couple of days and I highly recommend it...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank r_chambersSuva
Jack S, General Manager at Tokatoka Resort Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Greetings from Tokatoka Resort!!!
Thank you so much for providing comments on your recent trip to our resort! We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Since the Warwick International Hotels acquired the hotel on 21 April 2012, we are doing our utmost best to upgrade the standard and service and to be the airport hotel of choice in the not too distant future. Your feedback will enable us to better serve you when you next decide to come to our beautiful islands and visit our Hotel.
We do look forward to seeing you again soon with a revamped hotel atmosphere and with the true Bula Spirit.
VInaka and regards
Jack Stark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Korean first
New Zealand

First night (arrival).

Proximity to the airport was the reason for choosing this hotel. Minutes before we departed Auckland a complementary shuttle pick up was confirmed only to find no such vehicle on our arrival but we five found our own way there only to be greeted by sombre staff (not just one but three of them!) but we were given a glass of juice. A mumbled reason was given as to why there was no pick up, we had to ask half way through the book in (since no apology was forthcoming) so I could only assume the attitude of front desk staff immediately on arrival is the norm, heaven forbid. Our tweens tore off to the pool, we ate then wanted to retire early for our next adventure first thing in the morning but not before we had to request the roller bed organised at the initial booking, yet again. Most roller beds come with a pillow (no others in the unit), send off for another pillow then more waiting, said pillow arrives the sheet is pulled back and there’s not a semblance of a blanket (not even a thin one on the bed or in the room) just two sheets not enough for the cooler very early morning Fijian winter. Forget it, by now it’s almost 11 pm but I’m refusing to let this little hick up puncture my excitement or that of my family, still it was not an advantageous beginning. A cursory glance is all I had given the room before the lights went out.

Second night (departure).

Where on earth do I start? The second night superseded the first! Still no smile from the front desk. On arriving in our room, we had no roll-a-way bed – again! We waited until we could wait no longer and sent a reminder with the lady who brought us more towels (there were only two for a five member family) there were four dinner plates, three bread plates, two glasses…I won’t bother with the rest, you get the picture. At least this time the roller bed arrived with a pillow but still no blanket and we waited yet again for pillows for the two couch-come-beds in the living area. No compendium (none the first night either come to think of it) no mini bar but there were teas/coffees/sugars but no milk. The rooms were spacious though with air conditioning in the bedroom and fans in the living area. There were no plugs in any of the sinks, the hissing and dripping toilet was eventually fixed. My boisterous crew enjoyed the food at the eatery by the pool and of course the pool itself. They paid a visit to the internet café $5Fijian for half an hour though I did see over our stay a number of laptops being used at the pool eatery. I’ve made a brief mention of the unit but the photos I took tell a story of their own (these are from the second night).

I could not wait to get out of the place early the next morning. How Tokatoka is surviving their modus operandi is completely beyond me, needless to say nothing will ever persuade me to stay there again, I’ll take my brood and hie off next door to Raffles instead and nothing, nothing (not even to keep the peace) will ever stop me from checking out trip advisor in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank joynz_10
Jack S, General Manager at Tokatoka Resort Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Bula and greetings to you.
We thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our Hotel.
Please accept our sincere apology for not providing you the service you expected.
We are addressing the issues you have raised to improve our services to our valuable guests.
Since the Warwick International Hotels acquired the hotel on 21 April 2012, we are doing our utmost best to upgrade the standard and service and to be the airport hotel of choice in the not too distant future. Your constructive feedback will enable us to better serve you when you next decide to come to our beautiful islands and visit our Hotel.
Vinaka and warm regards
Kansas City, USA
Reviewed June 27, 2012

As a convenient overnight stop at the airport in Nadi, Tokatoka is adequate but it is not a resort. It is a long way from the sea and the only thing interesting within walking distance are other hotels and the airport. Don't expect a pick up from the airport. They have transport and claim to do free pickups but though I sent them my flight schedule and asked for a pickup they didn't make it. No big deal since it is a 10 minute walk and I had no big bags but for a family that could be a major hassle. Hint: if you can get someone at the airport to call them, they will come so before going write down their phone number. Staff were pleasant and there were no hassles checking in for my one week stay on business. The room I got included a gas cook stove and electric water boiler -- but the cupboards and drawers had zero food preparation equipment. No pots and pans, no knives, nothing. So there could be no cooking despite the nice stove. On arrival there were no towels -- fortunately I looked before showering -- but a call to the front desk got me some fairly quickly. There were two separate rooms (I gather the room i had is their "family" room), one with a wardrobe and bed and the other with the unuseable kitchen and two smaller beds poorly disguised as couches. Only the main bedroom has an air conditioner -- an underpowered one that barely kept the room comfortable even though the outside temperatures were not all that hot. At least both rooms have ceiling fans. The bath has a nice fluorescent light over the sink but so mounted that the top of my head was always in shadow so to comb my hair I had to squat down; bad design, typical of the hotel overall, things are almost right but not quite. Buffet breakfasts were adequate but with limited uninspiring options and I avoided eating any other meals there. Instead I went next door to Raffles where they have consistently good food. For kids there is a huge pool with a water slide (though sometimes you will have to ask the front desk to have the water turned on as they leave it off much of the time to save electricity). The one thing that struck me as the very symbol of the hotel's inadequate management was a brick walkway that goes from the lobby to the pool area -- but stops two meters before the walk joins the concrete around the pool. For that last two meters you are on bare (and sometimes muddy) earth. it is not under construction, obviously it has been like that for years. The hotel is almost good. The facilities look great but are poorly maintained and the room interiors are basic and kind of depressing. The hotel has been bought by the Warwick group recently and hopefully they will make the few important changes needed to make it a genuinely pleasant place for its guests. So if you want a lower cost hotel very convenient to the airport for an overnight stay, no problems but if you are looking for a place to stay for a while that has the amenities of a true resort, the TokaToka is not it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sunnyguy61
Vinaka and regards
Nadi, Fiji
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This hotel doesnt supply towels and the rooms are not clean. When checking out of the hotel, they charge $60 for missing towels when in the first place they dont supply towels in the room, so check your rooms for towels because they will charge you $60-$100 for missing towels. Also the receptionist was very grumpy and not helpful or professional. There is a lot of noise at night of people laughing and talking real loud. If you want to have a shower and have a relaxingn holiday then dont go to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Penelope B
Loata K, Public Relations Manager at Tokatoka Resort Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Vinaka and kind regards
Loata Koroi
Area PR Manager - Warwick Group Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Fiji Gateway Hotel
Tropic of Capricorn
Tropic of Capricorn
#3 of 25 in Nadi
Aquarius On The Beach

Been to Tokatoka Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!