“Disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Auckland
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This was the second time I had stayed here, the first time was pretty good, we got a a nice executive room with a huge bed and was clean too, but there was little to no soundproofing and the connecting doors didn't help that either, however we were overall satisfied with our stay in 2009.

This time around it was completely different. We got no local prices or any breakfast included, we got stuck with a well below 4-star standard room and was just a bad night stay there. Though we had notified them we were a couple, and I had told them I was 6'3" tall and needed a larger bed, we got stuck with a double room, with 2 small double sized beds where my feet hung over the edge and the pillows were rock hard, the cushions on the sofa were better. The room was also very poorly lit and had a sort of damp smell, which you kinda get used to, so its not exactly overpowering. The Air con had no settings, so it was just freezing everytime it was left on for 10 minutes.

On the plus side, the room had a nice 32inch LCD TV with adequate channels and the bathroom was relatively clean. The swimming pool was pretty good, the spa thing didn't work though, but the pool was nice for a midnight dip. Service was slow as usual, but it usually is in Fiji, just have to be a bit patient. the hotel has its own taxi service, so thats very convenient.

Overall disappointed with tanoa, will probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeekingNomad
Tanoahoteltih, General Manager at Tanoa International Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2011
Bula SeekingNomad

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

All feedback is important to us. It is disappointing to hear that you could not find an accommodation package that included breakfast.

In regards to the "musty" smell, could I ask that you email me, or message me via Trip Advisor, so I can find out what room number you were in.

Matthew Gillespie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stay here regularly, by company choice, not mine. Good points are friendly staff, and free shuttle bus to the airport, less than 5 minutes away.

Bad points. Mainly the restaurant. Overpriced and poor quality. If you were staying here with a family the expenses would soon mount up. The deal you get on the room will pale into insignificance compared to your restaurant bill. Had the Roast Dinner tonight. Meat dry and tough, no apple sauce for Pork or Mint sauce for Lamb. Was told there was gravy for beef but couldn't find it. The prices were put up because Restaurant was not making money. Solution - better food. No alternative within walking distance. Best bet is a $4-$5 cab ride into Namaka & go to LC's.

Dead cockroaches in room quite common. Otherwise quite clean. May have been an "International Hotel" in the past but is tending towards a "Local" one these days.

Location is good for access to the airport but far from anything else.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tambaranman
Bula Tambaranman,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

It is disappointing to read that you food experiences are not what you expect. I have addressed this with the Chef.

As you state you are a regular guest at the hotel, may I ask that you make contact with me so we can discuss these issues in greater detail.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed overnight for our flight back and they had a special which we booked over the phone. The room was presented exactly as described and the reception were fantastic. Good quality beds and high quality bathroom which was what we wanted. Great swimming pool and the bar worked perfectly. Free transfers to the airport.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank the_don_11
Tanoahoteltih, General Manager at Tanoa International Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Bula the_don_11

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the Tanoa International Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fiji in the future.

General Manager.
Reviewed December 30, 2010

After a cancelled flight, I stayed at this hotel thinking it was a 4 star...

My room stank of tobacco, I had mould in my bathroom and then all of the cockroaches arrived...

We counted 20+ in the bathroom alone, and after staying at 2 hotels in Fiji that had no cockroaches this was a shock to the system...

Then on sleeping I felt 2 run over my face and switched the lamp on to find more roaches on the bed.

This was a horrific experience, and everything felt dirty after that.. Especially when you look at the open air buffet where they serve food... Ours was curry only, and Delhi belly in Fiji was not what we were after.

Good if you want to stay near the airport, yet everything is cheap and close anyway in Nadi...

• Stayed December 2010
3 Thank Miapeders83
Bula Miapeders83

I have sent you a message asking for some further details, but as yet have not reciebved a response.

Obviously your experience from your review was not what anyone would expect, however I cannot comment any further until I have these further details from you.

Matthew Gillespie

Travelers are raving about these Nadi hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Contacting the hotel directly can get you a better deal, or a special no doubt, and this is really where the 'special' for this place stopped. The room was basic, for an 'international' beds were not bad however the floor was not especially clean, there was a dying/dead spider in our bathroom for the two days were were there - the room was serviced in that time.
The food in the restaurant for dinner was average to good however breakfast was over priced and over cooked.
Location to the airport is great as a one night stop over to catch a plane. The location to towns, Nadi, and Port Denaru, are ok by taxi, transfers or public bus, anything else is a bit or a hike in the warm/wet weather.
Staff were generally warm friendly and helpful with our needs. I would only recommend it if you were in need of a one night stop over before flying in or out, before meeting other transfers. They did however offer complementary transfer to the airport for every flight each day.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank n33d2travel
Bula 2wongsascuba

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I am glad that in general you were happy with you stay.

I will address your comments regarding breakfast with the Kitchen team.

United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Our cruise line, Noble Caledonia, booked its Clipper Odyssey passengers, including this writer, into the Tanoa. It is not the place we would have chosen to kill a day before a long flight to London but the Tanoa proved to be an agreeable place. Sure the food at our group buffet was terrible, where everything had gone cold and slabs of grey meat looked like a stomach upset waiting to happen, but we liked the smiling and obliging staff, the lush gardens, the decent pool, the convivial bar area and the spacious if rather plain accommodation. Our room, 110, had a functional, slightly grubby bathroom, lots of storage space, flatscreen TV, two queen-size beds and a terrace. The wifi internet for our laptop cost roughly US$6 an hour and was very fast. There’s also a good gift shop on the premises. I’d say it was good value and only a five minute ride to Nadi airport.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Tanoahoteltih, General Manager at Tanoa International Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2010
Bula Pausanias

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

All feedback, both positive and negative is important to us. Your comments regarding the lunch at the hotel are cornerning and I will address these with the Chef and his team. Your overall comments about the property are pleasing and I will share these with the team at our next staff meeting.

I hope we can welcome you back to Fiji in the future.

Regards and Vinaka

Tea Gardens, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2010

My wife and I stayed for two nights en-route to Mana Island. The rooms were very clean, spacious and check-in was quick. Perhaps the porter could have spent a little time indicating where the various switches in the room were located. Dinner in the restaurant was fine. We had breakfast on our return and whilst the food was fine there were a few small service problems ie. no cereal bowls and when a member of the staff was asked for one he had to take one from a table that had not been cleared and take it to the kitchen to be washed. There was no marmalade, no coffee cups on the table and we had to asked for coffee to be served. Whilst these are minor points one expects better in an international hotel.; However, it is a very good hotel for a stopover and we will certainly return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Tanoahoteltih, General Manager at Tanoa International Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Bula manaregular

Thank you for taking the tome to write this review.

I am pleased that overall you were happy with your stay at the Tanoa International Hotel.

I am however disappointed to read of your experience at breakfast. This is not to our usual standards and I will address this with the Restaurant Team.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Fiji in the near future.

Regards and Vinaka

Tanoa International Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Fiji Gateway Hotel
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel

Been to Tanoa International Hotel? Share your experiences!