“Location is good close to the airport.”

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here for 8 nights - everything was lovely but the service in the restaurant - food great - service as slow as a turtle - particularly the breakfast service - also the three piece singing songs around the yagona bowl - get some new songs or better yet stop putting everyone to sleep.. And stop playing.. Apart from that everything else was decent ... Would I stay here again though probably not... Reception and bar staff were great!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Iris N
Tanoahoteltih, General Manager at Tanoa International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Bula Iris N

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is disappointing to read your feedback about the service in the Garden Court Restaurant. I have discussed this with the team there, and we will work towards improving this.

Your comments regarding the Band Boys are interesting, and quite different from what we normally receive. I thank you for making them.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The best thing about this Tanoa is proximity to the Airport, and the food. The breakfast was terrific, and the dinner was great, the fresh rocket grown locally was to die for, also had a Gourmet Pizza and it was excellent!

Room Tip: Get a room on the Ground Floor opening onto the lawn.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Bula Robyn R

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is very pleasing to read your positive comments regarding your stay with us, and about our Food offerings in particular. This has been an area of strong focus in recent times, and it is great to see that the work has not been in vain.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Staying here for work . There is two different sections :The new one is really good well maintained and definitely a worth mentioning one.The Old one is run down a little bit.Try to get the new one. I already love the place .Only minus the location. I recently found out that the only small market in the hotel close down so get supplies from New World Super down the street.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Bula OVERLANDDIARIES

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is pleasing to read that you enjoy your stays with us.

I note your comments regarding different areas of the hotel. We are currently working towards a comprehensive refurbishment of all rooms, with a view to commence work later this year.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I only stayed for 2 days, but I did enjoy the time I spent there. Comfortable and clean rooms with very attentive staff. I enjoyed a great sleep in their very comfortable beds! Complimentary shuttle to/from the airport made the stay less hectic. If you're looking for a luxury resort in Fiji, this isn't it, but if you want a clean, comfortable, convenient place to stay, this is IT. The breakfast buffet was wonderful and I enjoyed having the swimming pool to myself while everyone else watched the football match in the sports bar. The best part was being able to float about in the pool while still being able to hear the announcer (and the cheering, good natured crowd) for the rugby game.
I did buy access to the internet and if you're used to having free wi-fi, you must not travel in the Pacific very much. I received all the access I paid for and found it to be comparable to internet cafes around town. There was an option to buy internet access with the price of the room, but that wasn't why I stayed at this location. The housekeeping staff was very attentive and it was obvious they did a fine job cleaning in my room and the hallway. All in all, a good value for the price and location.....certainly less expensive than the luxury "resorts" in Port Denaru.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Bula Teresa877

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Tonoa exceeded expectation. Friendly staff, clean rooms, a Japanese restaurant and an extremely long driveway. Very convenient to the airport and a short bus ride or taxi to the city. centre. Taxi drivers will always drop you at Jacks of Fiji, I think there's some kind of incentive for them to do this. Good stayover as a gateway to other parts of Fiji.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tanoahoteltih, General Manager at Tanoa International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Bula Anitamorgan13

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is great to read that the hotel and the team exceeded your expectations!

If any particular staff member stood out, and you can remember their name, please do email me via gm.tih@tanoahotels.com as we have a strong Employee Recognition programme and I would love to be able to get them recognised through this.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I spent two days at this hotel while adjusting to the time change and waiting to board a scuba diving boat (Nai'a) for a 10 day dive trip. This hotel was recommended and booked by the Nai'a folks in Fiji for me. However after reading the significant number of negative reviews (1 &2 stars) on TA, I seriously considering canceling and moving to a more expensive, but better rated hotel. Here's what I found.

There was no evidence of any bug infestation in my room or throughout the parts of the hotel that I used. Upon check in, I checked my room very carefully for evidence of bed bugs or other pests. Found nothing. I stayed in a Building 3 room on the upper floor and did not have any bug problems throughout my stay. The hallway was clean and the maid service appeared to be doing an excellent job of cleaning. I also spoke with a fellow who comes here from the states frequently on business and usually stays at the Tanoa. He had never seen or heard of the bug problems that have been discussed on TA. This is the tropics after all and there will be bugs, just not in the rooms as far as I saw.

The pool area, which has taken some hits in many reviews, was clean and welcoming. The spa pool (hot tub?) was closed for repairs. The pool water was clean and appeared to be chlorinated. The pool was cleaned every morning.

The Internet access was criticized as relatively expensive and it was. I'm used to free access at an upscale hotel. However, I looked at other options in town and they were not cheap either. They offer a nice computer room near the main lobby with three desktops equipped for Skype. I purchased one hour tickets for about $4.00 USD and used three for my 48 hour stay. All I did was Skype a couple times a day and check my email twice a day. I'm not the type that needs to be connected 24/7. Besides I was on holiday. I used my iPad without problem both in my room and throughout the hotel ? The signal strength was excellent everywhere. The trick is to make sure that you log off to stop the clock when you finish. Make sure that you understand how each type of Internet access is charged, so you don't overpay.

Food: Food was expensive also. The breakfast buffet was about $16 USD as I recall. It was decent, but not great. I ate it the first day as I arrived at 6 am. That was the only meal that I ate at the hotel. On my second day, I developed a minor case of traveler's diarrhea from something that I ate on the first day either at the hotel or my lunch out in town. Since I was not sure where the bug came from, from there on, I did not use the hotel food service. My guess would be that it came from my lunch in town, but I did not want to take any chances. There is a market (Newworld)about a 10 minute walk from the hotel, I bought food there that I was reasonably sure was safe for me. The water in Fiji is from artesian wells and is claimed to be OK, but I stuck with bottled water or juice while at the hotel just in case.

As others have commented, this hotel isn't close to much except the airport. I would not consider it for a holiday in Fiji, but for me to recharge for the upcoming dive trip, it was fine. It appeared to be used mostly for conferences, business travelers and for quick access to the airport. Also airlines use it for the crews. I also stayed there in a day room for about 12 hours when I was leaving.

There are at least two Tonoa hotels in the Nadi area. If you elect to use one, make sure that you get the right one for your purposes.

In summary, I did not experience any of the problems discussed in many of the negative reviews. Either the hotel has cleaned up their act or .......

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Bula divengolf

Thank you for taking the time to write your very detailed review.

I am glad that the hotel overall met your expectations, and that you have taken the time to detail your stay comprehensively.

I do hope your stomach upset did not overly affect your stay. As you rightly state it can be difficult to determine where these things come from. The water supply is town supply and is certified "potable" water, but different water in different places can affect you.

Internet pricing is always a challenge. Unfortunately the cost of internet in a small island nation with a low population base is quite high.

I do hope you return to Fiji to dive again in the future and that we can have the opportunity to assist with your accommodation needs in Nadi again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

1. We were waiting for an hour when asked the receptionist to bring us two towels(because housekeeper did NOT leave us any
2. We stayed in the hotel for 5 nights and noone ever bothered to mop the floor in our room
3.when we were having the dinner in their restaurant I asked 3 times for a cup of tea. I got it in the end...when I finished my dinner!!!
Overall the hotel is nice, might stay there next time

• Stayed: June 2013

Bula Natts1991

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Your feedback regarding some service aspects of your stay are quite disappointing. I apologise for these and have already discussed this with the team here at the hotel.