“terrible stay”

Tanoa Skylodge Hotel
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed January 21, 2013

the staff at the front desk was so rude and un helpful. I stayed for 4nights and each was a battle with towels wich was taken from about 10am and not returned by 3-4pm, I found the towles fresh but still had brown marks on them and they were also ripped. The first room was full of cockroaches and it was not my original booking. Finally got the room but without a spare bed which i had paid for but got charged for it.. Really bad bad service and they are not helpful or very welcoming should I say.

Room Tip: read and print off what you booked as it is so different to what you will get when you get there.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Skymanager, Manager at Tanoa Skylodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Bula,
Thank you very much for taking time to write this review. All feed back either good or bad is very important to us so that we can improve on our services and facilities . I do apologize for the defects in our services and at no point we at Skylodge Hotel intend to provide the poor service as mentioned. For the room , you were booked for the standard room which have configuration of one double bed and the Duty Manager tried to help you in arranging another room. Your extra bed for the room was charged and refunded again .All the above comments has being shared with the staff concerned and please do visit us again in future when you are travelling ourway and we would definitely look after you.

There are newer reviews for Tanoa Skylodge Hotel

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here twice in November 2012. It was an excellent place to stay in Nadi, and I'd definitely come back again.

First up, the staff were gorgeous. It was the warm 'bula' welcome that Fiji is famous for, and I felt like I was genuinely welcome. The staff go out of their way to help, and by the time I left I'd made some good friends :-)

The location is excellent. They have a complimentary airport shuttle in both directions (ask the airport info desk to call the hotel to send the shuttle if you haven't pre-arranged it to meet your flight), and it's under 10mins drive to the airport. A taxi would be very inexpensive too.

My first preference had been to stay in Nadi itself, but in the end I was glad I was at Skylodge as Nadi is seedy after dusk. Skylodge is a bit out of Nadi town, but its only 3-5mins walk (towards the airport) from another shopping area, Namaka, which had some nice places to eat and felt safer in the evening. I had a great, inexpensive dinner at the Indian restaurant in Namaka. Namaka also has a vibrant fruit/veg market that was nice to see in the daytime, and some supermarkets, a pharmacy, and ATM machines.

To get into the centre of Nadi, walk across the road to the bus stop and hail a bus. There are buses and minibuses that run into town every ten mins or so during the day, and they're cheap (from memory, 80c for a bus and $1 for a minibus). My favourite buses were the ones without glass in the windows -- built in, natural aircon!! It's about 15mins by bus into town, and you'll know when you're there because the bus crosses a river and immediately turns left. Get off (with just about everyone else) at the stop just after it turns left after the bridge. Going back to the hotel from town, catch the bus from opposite the Prouds store and pull the cord to get off when you see the high wall of Skylodge on the left -- they'll drop you either at the stop near the hotel pool, or at the front gate -- your choice.

For my first stay at Tanoa (one night) I was in a cabin, which I didn't like so much. The cabins are stand-alone buildings in attractive park-like grounds, each with several rooms off a central corridor. They have balcony doors opening onto little sitting areas, and were quite pleasant. If I'd been travelling with a partner, I'd have liked it. Travelling alone, I didn't feel so secure and would have preferred to have been in the main building. This might have been because there were some abnormally loud people in the next room, still being boisterous around 2am, which was a bit disconcerting. I was also a bit spooked by the giant cockroach running around the ceiling all night, but this IS the tropics so one has to expect such 'company', and the room was spotlessly clean so I don't blame the hotel.

The second time I was in a motel room for three nights, which was great. It was a normal motel-style room with a comfy bed, a minibar, a TV, and a little ensuite toilet/shower. It was very clean, and less 'tired-looking' than my earlier room in the cabin. My motel room was close to the restaurant/bar area and pool, but it wasn't noisy. Staff said it can be noisy on Friday and Saturday nights when there's a band, but otherwise nice and quiet. They were doing hammering and banging doing renovations down the hall when I was there. This was a bit disruptive to early morning sleep or a midday siesta, though the reception staff did their best to make the workmen considerate of guests. No doubt the renovations are complete by now.

Tanoa has park-like grounds surrounded by a high brick wall, and a security guard on the front gate. There's a pool, a small shop with souvenirs and some basic travel stuff, and a restaurant/bar. I didn't eat there but the menu looked good.

Wifi was available at a price, but I didn't use it as it was a hassle to buy access. I'd recommend management install free wifi in the rooms so guests have access as/when they want it, rather than having to hike to reception to buy a card and use the wifi there. Wifi is increasingly a rather basic 'essential' for hotels in this day and age of smartphones and tablet computers, and Tanoa could definitely add-value and attract guests if it offered this basic service free.

I'd also recommend management improve the tour desk, which was a bit lame. I went into town to book tours (the Robinson Crusoe Island night show was fabulous, with a pick up and drop off at the hotel) and it would have been nice if Tanoa's own tour desk had had more info and options.

Overall, I really liked it here. It was a good place to start/end a Fiji holiday, and it had a lovely, relaxed, friendly vibe. I'm looking forward to my next visit :-))

Room Tip: Solo women might feel safer in a motel room, closer to the reception area, rather than one in a stan...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Skymanager, Manager at Tanoa Skylodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Bula ,
Thank you for taking your time to write this review. It is so rewarding to see that you really enjoyed your stay with us. All customer feed back is very important to us and all, good and bad are taken seriously. Yes indeed Tanoa Skylode is very centrally located where our guest have access to all around amenities. We will definitely improve on our services as mentioned . Your positive comments has being shared with the staff concerned. Please do visit us again when you are passing our way we will provide you with the same Fijian Hospitality and if you know of any one coming ourway, please feel free to introduce them to us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms but certainly nothing special. Pool area was nice though and staff was friendly. Low price results in great value for hotel near airport. Would stay here again for first or last night in fiji.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank cotraveler82
Skymanager, Manager at Tanoa Skylodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Bula,
Thank you for taking time to write this review. It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. All customer feedback is very important to us and all, good and bad are taken seriously. Yes indeed Tanoa Skylodge is a budget accommodation provider, centrally located and we do provide quality service to our customers who intend to be our returnee customers. Your positive comments has being shared with the staff concerned. Please do visit us again when you are passing our way we will provide you with the same Fijian Hospitality and if you know of any one coming ourway, please feel free to introduce them to us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

The Staff were as friendly as I've ever encountered. The atmosphere in the hotel was great and the band was excellent. The bar staff fostered an environment where people would meet and share stories on a nightly basis.My only fault was the slipperyness of the stairs during the rain.

• Stayed: December 2011

Bula,
Thank you for taking your time to write this review. It is so rewarding to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. All customer feedback is very important to us and all, good and bad are taken seriously. It is unfortunate to hear that the stairs were found to be slippery and we do have signs out on rainy days to alert our guests , and we have relooked into this for any further incidence of this nature. all your positive comments has being shared with staff concerned. Please do visit us again when you are passing our way we will still provide you with the same Fijian Hospitality and if you know of any one coming ourway , please feel free to introduce them to us.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed o/night before heading elsewhere in Fiji the next day. We had one of the best curries we had throughout Fiji for dinner and slept well, in small but clean room. Good value and free airport transfer great. All staff very helpful without inquiries about transportation to other parts of Fiji.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Skymanager, Manager at Tanoa Skylodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Bula,
Thank you very much for taking time to write this review. It is so rewarding that you really enjoyed your stay with us. All customer feedback is very important to us and all, good and bad are taken seriously. Your positive comments will be shared with the staff concerned. Please do visit us again when you are passing by our way, we will still provide you with the same Fijian Hospitality and if you know of anyone coming our way, please feel free to introduce them to us.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Only 7 minute drive from airport. Rooms are old and in need of upgrade. Booked an executive room on the internet showing 2 double beds but ended up getting 1 double and a single bed. Beddings looked old but clean. Rooms detached from the main reception center. OK for the money paid

Room Tip: Rooms next to the reception center can be noisy with the band playing in the evening.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Bula,
Thank you for taking your time to write this review. All feedback either good or bad is very important to us so that we can improve on our services and facilities. I do apologise for the defects in our services . For rooms we do not have executive , however I believe you meant a superior room. Superior rooms we do have configuration of either two doubles or one single and one double and Iam at a loss why this was not offered to you. Also the the moment Tanoa Skylodge is undergoing major renovation from rooms to other facilities to meet up the demands of our different customers though we are classes as budget accommodation provider and seen the level of customers using Skylodge as pre- post which they find very convenient.
All the above comments will be shared with the staff concerned and please do visit us again in future when you are travelling ourway to see what changes we have made and definitely would be happy to look after you.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My god.....the bed bug infestation!!!! for two consecuetive nights woke up for a very serious dose of scratching and anger..was absolutely pissed off about this..i heard read a review and also saw those photos and i thought it would be way past that guys horrible experience..

had to get up and take a shower..put some repellent and prayed it would not start all over again..

too bad it was there...on the third day had to give up and move to Grand Melanisian

For many of you who may ask why didnt we complain....ah wellllll...just too damn tired of going up and down

Overall the experience was very good..same type of rooms in Suva will cost you around 130+ but it was just half the price for "Tanoa Hotels" like i said in suva..

Pool was nice..lacked night lights which was a bummer as went out for a afternoon swim..

Staff are good....and ahhhh yes...the towels.....took them an hour after we checked in to get only one....

Location is great...close to namaka town..food shopping everything is available just on the road and at the end of the day it was a good winding down at the LC's restuarant for the two of us.

Room Tip: Ask for room which may not have cases of bed bugs
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Skymanager, Manager at Tanoa Skylodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Bula ,
Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review. It's also great to see that you enjoyed your stay. All customer feed back is very important to us so that we could improve on the service and facilities of the hotel.Yes indeed Tanoa Skylodge is very centrally located to all amenities which our guest like and in turn we have seen increase in our return customers. For the rooms we do have maintenance program in place and just recently we have upgraded the bathroom facilities to this property in all rooms including new set of shower cubical's in all rooms. All your comments will be shared with the staff concerned and please do visit us again when travelling our side to see what more changes this property has gone through.

Kind Regards