“AWESOME! Nalesutale Village full day trip w Mud Pool & Hot Springs”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fiji Eco Tours

Full-Day Waterfall and Medicinal Trail Tour
Ranked #19 of 43 Tours in Nadi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We understand that you probably don't have much time to get to see all of Fiji - culture, history and activities. Fiji Eco Tours provides a unique real Fijian tours. Experience with our various nature-based activities, wedding reception the Fijian way. Fiji Eco Tours features sites which are of cultural significance to the people of Fiji with a rich history portrayed in traditional daily activities. Take the trek through the Garden of The Sleeping Giants and discover some of the best waterfalls Fiji has to offer.The trek begins at the village of Nalesutale where guests are treated to a traditional KAVA ceremony by the chief. Paint yourself from head to toe in mud from our TIFAJEK mud pool to enjoy the therapeutic effects of this legendary attraction. Then immerse yourself in a natural hot spa and feel completely refreshed.The real Fiji -culture, history and adventure. We want you to travel like a local. We'll travel with you to Fiji's biggest highlights and incredible significant places that even people of Fiji does not know that it exist. If you're an adventure junkie and a culture historical seeker or have come cause you have heard, read or watch them on TV the most amazing islands of the Pacific has to offer, Fiji Eco Tours is the trip of an unforgettable lifetime! You couldn't have a bad experience if you tried.
Port Stephens, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“AWESOME! Nalesutale Village full day trip w Mud Pool & Hot Springs”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

BULA!!! :-D

OUR ADVICE: highly recommended! (See below for more info)
WOULD WE DO IT AGAIN: most definitely!

VINAKA Fiji Eco Tours! This was one of the top 3 highlights of our honeymoon! :-D

FIJI ECO TOURS: NALESUTALE VILLAGE FULL DAY TRIP w MUD POOL
- rainforest/waterfall nature hike and swim
- relaxing genuine village experience
- yummy traditional lunch in host's bure
- therapeutic mud pool & hot spring soak

WHAT TO EXPECT:
I've always been a firm believer in treating others how I would like to be treated and in all of my travels, this has resulted in great experiences... but in Fiji, we had a TRULY wonderful experience!

* We booked easily through our hotel booking desk
* We were picked up from our hotel efficiently & on time
* Iliesa - our driver - was very warm & friendly, excellent to chat with :-)
* Our hike guide was helpful, informative & kind (chief's son)
* Our lunch host was generous & accommodating (chief's sister)
* The traditional lunch was delicious & filling (I want the recipes!)
* Transport to the mud pool was very comfortable too
* Mud pool guide was funny, helpful & informative (big smiles!)
* Hot spring was decadent - I've found a new addiction! Lol!
* You can also have a traditional relaxing massage for a small fee
* We were returned to our hotel feeling relaxed, entertained & happy!

WHAT TO WEAR/ BRING:
* Travel light for the hike up to the waterfall - a small backpack is good
* A camera to capture the stunning beauty of nature you'll see
* Swimmers/bathers for swimming at the waterfall
* A small towel to dry off - microfiber ones are excellent!
* Insect repellant and sunscreen
* Wear closed in footwear for the hike - dah! you are hiking through nature, after all - after rain it can be quite muddy & a bit wet but well worth it! Anyone who hikes through a rainforest in thongs/flip-flops/slippers needs to recheck their common-sense-meter! So pack your flip-flops in your bag until you come back to the village. NB:- don't wear your best Nikes either! I wore "disposable" rubber soled lace-up canvas casuals because Australian Customs & Immigration is extremely strict on soil/dirt being brought back into the country ( I couldn't be bothered scrubbing my shoes like hubby did ;-)
* A sulu/sarong to sit on in the shade of the big mango tree back in the village

VILLAGE ETIQUETTE - not compulsory, but really appreciated:
* The people are very friendly and understanding, but if you can remember a few of these small things, it's returned with big smiles & very generous hospitality
* Do not wear hats or anything on top of your head - only the chief has this privilege - this is the main one to remember.
* Modesty - everyone, keep your shoulders & chest covered in the village - a short sleeved t-shirt is fine. Ladies also, shorts or skirt to just below the knees is nice (I wore one of my long fiji sulu/sarongs)
* If you meet the chief, please be respectful, it's truly a privilege to be welcomed as a guest into his village :-) we felt welcomed & honoured to be there.
* When welcomed into their bure/home, take your shoes off before entering and you can also show a little thanks/respect by bending forward a little with your head down as you step inside - our host responded with a huge smile :-D she was lovely!

NALESUTALE VILLAGE:
My hubby and I love hiking, nature, history, traditional stories & learning about other people's cultures, so this earthy tour was exactly what we were looking for! We are unsure as to the toilet facilities because neither of us needed to use the bathroom while there.
* we were lucky enough to have the chief's son as a tour guide - he was very knowledgable, helpful & friendly - we asked many questions & were delightfully surprised with his knowledge of the land & the history of his people.
* being a herbalist, I was interested in traditional medicine plants and was treated to lots of interesting inside knowledge on the medicinal plants here.
* experience village life & traditional food - lunch was cooked for us by the chief's sister - it was delicious & plentiful... Our favourite was the rou-rou! It was fun to sit on the woven mat and chat while we ate too. Afterwards, we were so full that we were glad to have some rest time in the shade of the mango tree :-) LOL!
* My hubby was lucky enough to catch a fish the traditional way in the river after lunch!
* I enjoyed a little ride on their horse - I love horses & haven't done that in years!
* We were also taught the basics of weaving leaves to make mats etc before our driver came to pick us up & head to the mud pool.

MUD POOL & HOT SPRING:
- we both loved this experience and I've found my new obsession! *chuckle*
- the guide shows you what to do & tells you some of the history of the pools
- after changing & using the toilets, he stowed our bags/shoes etc for us
- he helps you coat yourself in the therapeutic, soothing mud - I swear it took the redness out of my minor sunburn too!
- you bake the mud in the sun to almost dry then swim in the mud pool
- after the majority is washed off, it's time to soak lavishly in the hot spring! This was my favourite part and the warm, mineral-rich water soothes any aches while deeply relaxing your muscles... I've decided that I'll seek out thermal mud and springs in all future travels!

We truly had an amazing day with wonderful people and fantastic weather!!!
VINAKA VAKA LEVU!!!

Visited October 2012
14 Thank Jo E
Susan C, Public Relations Manager at Fiji Eco Tours, responded to this review, February 11, 2015
Bula Jo E,

Thank you booking and touring with Fiji Eco Tours,

Our humble apologies for the delay in response towards Review.

Thank you again and hope that you will come back and visit.

Have a blessed Weekend.

Cincinnati, Ohio
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Disappointing & Bad Business Policies”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We had had a tour booked for Saturday morning, and we had sent them an email from the US to let them know our flight had been delayed. They had a 100% cancellation fee, but we hoped they would be understanding considering the circumstances were entirely beyond our control and we had just lost a day of vacation. We also talked with one of the representatives from PacificIslands.com with whom we had scheduled our flights and 3-day stopover in Fiji. She said that she would get in contact with Eco Tours and see if she could reschedule us. She said she would leave a message at the front desk of the hotel for us since we would pretty much be out of contact once we were out of the country. There were no messages waiting when we arrived.
In the morning, our phone rang. I answered, and she said “Good morning. Your pick-up for your day tour is here.” I was kind of stunned since we didn’t think we had a tour, so I told her we would be right there. We hurriedly finished getting ready then stuffed some things in a bag to take with us. We got to the lobby and apologized to the driver, letting him know that we didn’t even think we had a tour for today. We tried to explain the circumstances to him, and he said that some lady had called his boss yesterday and scheduled a tour for Sunday. So, they thought we were completely aware of everything. He started driving somewhere, and we thought maybe we could ask him to stop for breakfast somewhere. He turned around and headed toward Nadi Town and stopped at Hot Bread Kitchen. When we got back to the mini-bus, we got further clarification from the driver that we still needed to pay for today’s tour. We weren’t getting any credit for the tour that had been scheduled for the previous day. However, we were getting a discount in the price as we were now scheduled for a full-day tour at the half-day tour price (so it would cost us $110 FJD instead of $165). I was very much not thrilled to learn that. I didn’t know what to do at that point. We didn’t have $220 FJD on us and their office was closed so we couldn’t pay by credit card. We ended up going to a currency exchange so we could buy more FJD. We then went to do a little souvenir shopping at Jack’s of Fiji. Actually, we first might have stopped at the Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple to take a couple of pictures.
We headed over to the Tifajek Mud Baths and Hot Springs. We were greeted by a child named Abraham who showed us the source of the springs and the mud bath. He waited for us to change, then took us to play in the mud bath. It was weird and squishy. Then we caked ourselves in mud, which is supposed to have healing properties, and waited for it to dry before hopping back in the bath. After that we went over to the hot springs. We weren’t there for too long. The next stop was the Nalesutale village where we were to have lunch. We were greeted by a Fijian guy – I wasn’t quite sure of his name. He took us to our resting spot until lunch was ready then we sat down to indulge in our traditional Fijian buffet lunch. Which consisted of a creamed spinach and onion dish, pineapples, bananas, and a fruit called kosava. Some feast, huh? We’re vegetarians, but we still expected something a little more substantial than this. After eating, we headed off on a hike to a waterfall. This was by far not worth the trip. This was a good half-hour hike through the forest to see an unremarkable waterfall. We have probably just been spoiled by some of the magnificent waterfalls we have seen in our travels – all of which had been much easier to get to. So, we marveled in the majesty of the waterfall for two minutes then headed back. Next on the agenda was the kava ceremony. We headed into a big hut to sit with about a dozen people from the village. They passed me a coconut shell filled with the kava drink, so I drank it all down. It kind of tasted like dirt – like a slight gritty drink. You were supposed to clap before you drank and say Bula and then others would clap three times. They demonstrated to us how they made the drink, which was not very sanitary at all, so we declined any offerings of having another drink. Next they told us our horses were ready, so we headed outside. I’ve never been horseback riding before, so now I can say my first time was in a Fijian village. We were waiting for the driver to return and then we were offered some lemon leaf tea that was pretty good-tasting for tea. Then we were invited into one of the houses to try mat weaving. So, I weaved a few rows. I was very impatiently waiting for the driver to return and finally he got there. Our guide gave us his email address – I guess so we could email him copies of the pics or something. A long bumpy ride back finally got us returned to Novotel Nadi.

Visited May 2012
7 Thank rockon0630
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fun”
Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Good walk through the rainforest and to the waterfall .. Fair walk but good .. Just remember to stop and have a look up to take it all in because the guides do walk through fast :) very good guides that will happily take photos for you on your camera. Just think before you do a half day as you might take longer because you have to wait and drive the whole day people around before returning

4 Thank Anita B
Bula Anita,

Thank you for Booking and Touring with Fiji Eco Tours.

Our humble apologies for the delay in acknowledgement due to the change in transition of ownership of the Trip Advisor page which was initially managed by a previous staff employed by Fiji Eco Tour.

Nevertheless, we prioritize each individual traveller that take the time to write a review on their experience with the Tour.

Have a blessed and Productive Day.
nadi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Mud-pools and Hot Springs experience”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

THE REAL FIJIAN EXPERIENCE! The waterfalls were magnificent and the mud pools and hot springs were just fantastic. I really enjoyed my trip and I'm definitely recommending this tour for people who just want to get out and have fun exploring the real Fijian lifestyle and what Fiji has to offer.

Visited April 2012
6 Thank irava c
Susan C, Owner at Fiji Eco Tours, responded to this review, February 11, 2015

Our apologies for the huge delay in response but nevertheless, we prioritize individual travelers that had book and taken a tour with Fiji Eco Tour.

On behalf of the management and Team here at Fiji Eco Tours, we extend our warmest and Big 'Vinaka Vakalevu' for experiencing the real Fijian tour with Fiji Eco Tours.

Have a Blessed Day.