“No idea, why you should choose some other hostel nearby...”
Review of Bamboo Hostel

Bamboo Hostel
Ranked #1 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Nadi
“No idea, why you should choose some other hostel nearby...”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed in this hostel twice and it was a good experience in both times. There is absolutely nothing to complain about.
In the second time I couldn't find my cellphone shortly after I arrived. The staff was so lovely and caring. They really tried everything, to cheer me up and to help me in every way they could :). Thanks a lot for this!
I spend a lot of extraordinary moments in this place and I couldn't have hoped for a better last Fiji night, it was just perfect :).

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Parttimekiwi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The room was decent and clean enough (double was $60). However, the staff are very pushy, trying to sell their tours, and then hit on all the female guests at night. It's quite a club med 18-30 feel, not the relaxed Fijian atmosphere we were hoping for. There are nicer hotels round the corner, for the same budget, with a much better atmosphere and food.

What most annoyed me was that, as we were not sure how long we were going to stay we initially said we would stay just one night. After a long flight we decided to stay another night and sleep in the next morning (checkout is 10am). Instead of assuming we were to stay another night however, two of the staff woke us up by banging on the door. I answered to tell them that no, we'd like to stay another night. Five minutes later we were woken again by loud bangs on the door and a guy telling us one of us had to go to reception.

Don't go to this place expecting to be treated like an adult. You'll be treated like a child and told what to do and where to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Annika W
the_fiji_islander, Manager at Bamboo Hostel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Bula vinaka and thanks for the review. Your feedback is much appreciated and our team will look to improve our hostel experience accordingly. We have designed our hostel especially for budget travellers as a fun and friendly base for the islands of Fiji. It is unusual that you found our spot to be like Club Med and we believe that you must have stayed with us on a night when we had a big birthday party bash. Our hostel normally has a laid back island-style atmosphere.

Our Activities Team are awesome and offer a variety of in-house adventure day trips and tours to see the best and most beautiful areas surrounding Nadi, on a budget. We are sorry that you felt pushed to participate and will meet with our Activities Team to ensure this issue is addressed.

We are also very concerned that you felt our staff were hitting on our guests. We have had an emergency staff meeting about this issue and after a general discussion are 100% sure that you have mistaken one of our staff for one of our local Fijian F & B guests (our bar and restaurant is open to the general public). This is an issue that we take very seriously and have zero tolerance for. If our security team ever see any inappropriate behaviour towards our female guests, they will step in and sort it out. Our team are a very friendly bunch and often make close friends with our guests and always take proper care of our guests at all times.

As for your check out issue, we have a 10:00am check out time and a hostel policy that all guests wishing to extend must arrange this @ the front desk. We are sorry that you felt that we delivered the message abruptly and will target improvement in future.

Our hostel wishes to attract guests with a simple Fiji-style expectation for accomodation in Nadi. For those seeking a flashpacker style hostel we recommend Aquarius or Nadi Bay. For those seeking a fun, friendly and atmospheric hostel, we highly recommend choosing Bamboo! Cheers and happy travels. The Bamboo Tribe.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just take a look at my photos and you'll see that the staff here take pride in their hostel. But it is just that, don't book a double room and think you'll get hotel treatment because you won't.

Advantages
Cheap (by Fijian standards)
Clean - so important in hot climates and always reassuring to get crisp white sheets
Close to the beach - you can reach the beach with a less that 30m walk and have access to a sister hotel's beach front bar and pool.
Lovely staff - the guys and girls take the time to learn your name and find out what you like doing. They'll play volleyball with you or happily invite you to join them while they play guitar and drink kava. They're a real asset to the hostel.

Disadvantages
Noise, Noise, Noise - this really got to us, from road noise to the tattoo artist on the otherside of the wall to simply the staff talking when they arrived for work around sunrise. You'll need ear plugs if you want a good night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingTurtles
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is an excellent hostel.
The dorm beds are cheap as chips and included breakfast. I stayed here 3 nights and every night had some nice music and cava. The food is also excellent. Try the hamburger.
There are plenty of free activities and the staff are excellent. They must get a few hundred people through there each week but they managed to make you feel special with many of the staff remembering you.

Room Tip: If there are 4 of you book a 4 bed dorm same price but private. Pre book as they sell out
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Basel
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Hostel is pretty decent for the price. Stayed before at another hostel around the corner for double the price.
Rooms are oke. Clean, and come with hit shower.
Bar on the beach is ok aswell.
The pool is quite dirty.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Schmeichel
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I found Bamboo via Trip Advisor and I decided to give them a shot before I started my Feejee Experience tour. When I arrived (whilst enduring some jet lag) I felt the place looked a little un-organised and mis-matched, but my opinion quickly changed when I started meeting the people who worked there.

The moment I turned up they treated me like an old friend and made me feel welcomed in a country where I didn't know anyone which was a huge relief since this was my first trip out of Australia. They take a genuine interest in their guests well being and will help you in any way should one find themselves in a less than impressive situation.

The place has an inviting atmosphere, beds were soft and the food was nice (best banana pancakes I've ever had). Not all of the showers have hot water however but this wasn't a huge factor for me. Upon leaving they'll wave you off like you're the only guest there which I think adds more to the place. They'll treat everyone like an individual. Will definitely return to Bamboo in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 2 story building opposite reception (with the view of the beach). I found the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Brian S
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've been to Fiji 3 times in 3 years and have stayed at bamboo every time the most recent time which was July 2013 the hostel has recently expanded meaning there is now a fully stocked bar ad beach side swimming pool making the hostel an even better place to stay whilst in Nadi.

The staff will make you feel extremely welcome from the moment you are picked up from the airport to the thoroughly enjoyable kava sessions where you can get to know your fellow travelers and make some really good friends. The hostel runs amazing day trips where you can visit the natural mud pools or go spear fishing. The latter is what i done whilst there going to different spots seeing amazing reefs and many many fish with Pa and Sydney making sure we had the best days that we could whilst out on these trips!

Cannot recommend this hostel highly enough cheap and a guaranteed Fiji experience which will make you want to go back again and again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
Fiji Gateway Hotel
Bluewater Lodge
Bluewater Lodge
#12 of 25 in Nadi

Been to Bamboo Hostel? Share your experiences!