“Incredible value and a spectacular staff!”
Review of Bamboo Hostel

Bamboo Hostel
Ranked #1 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Nadi
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I arrived at Bamboo on the recommendation of a companion who testified that the friends/staff were the nicest people in Fiji. After arriving without a reservation we met Samu and he easily put us into the dorms for the surprising price of 12$ Fijian for each of us. Immediately we connected to the other backpackers who put out a friendly and unaggressive vibe. Although there is a lockbox at the reception we felt very secure leaving our belongings in our room unattended as we spent the night drinking kava and counting stars. The staff joined in educating new arrivals on Fijian customs and generally made it a great experience for the newbies and even myself who had expeirenced a few village stays before. All was quiet at night and I had a great sleep on a clean and comfortable bed, incredible bang for a 12$ buck. If you're still reading this lengthy narrative, this is where it became an amazing experience. After waking up early and getting a great 5$ French toast breakfast I caught the bus to Nadi for a few hours, when I returned to Bamboo I sought out Samu because I had a feeling he'd know how to help me out for organizing a trip the following day. Not only did he get to know me a bit first and spent the time asking me what Id want to do he then Organized an entire days shark diving and encouraged me to do more things for my last few days in Fiji. All in all Bamboo is a top notch hostel that attracts a specific type of backpacker that woshes to get to know Fiji and not waste money in a pretenious resort. in my opinion makes this the number one hostel near Nadi and even in Fiji. Vinaka vaka levu Bamboo!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank flowmotion920

Reviewed January 16, 2013

AWESOME hostel with AMAZING staff!! They truly make you feel welcome & at home. Atmosphere here is great & the nightly kava sessions bring everyone together. Bamboo was my base in Fiji as I traveled to different islands over 3 weeks. They can help you arrange travel & tours to any other islands. They do free airport pickups at anytime of the day too. When I arrived in Fiji I lost my bag & took 1 hr to get out of the arrivals area. The driver sent to pick me up was still there waiting for me! I've been traveling around the world for the past 17 months and this hostel is definitely in my top 3 :)

Room Tip: Stayed in a 6 bed female dorm. It had a good amount of space and AC was really nice!! Ensuite bathro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank eppstar
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We arrived at Nadi just after Cyclone Evan. There was no power, so no electric light. Also our reservation had not been registered because of this.

However, the staff arranged everything so that we could stay for the night, and gave us a great experience. The Fijian vibe was fantastic.

Not only that, but they also gave us very good guidance that allowed us to plan our holiday elsewhere in Fiji.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent two nights here before leaving Fiji. I'll admit that our first impressions weren't great, but we actually warmed to it quite quickly. We stayed in a private double room with en-suite and while it wasn't the most comfortable bed or the nicest looking room, our aircon worked well and it was clean. The man on reception helped us book on a tour for the next day and even took us to the airport in a taxi so that we could pay and finalise the booking, which is above and beyond the service we usually get! Overall Bamboo is a cheap hostel aimed at backpackers, but as a place to rest your head for the night it served our purposes well.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We initially booked into BAMBOO after reading Tripadvisor reviews and Im so glad we did. We arrived into Fiji and stayed our first night (with a 5 day tour planned afterwards) and were immediately in love. The location, the price, the staff, the vibe and the entertainment are all huge advantages of staying here, but what made BAMBOO incredible for me was the extraordinary way in which they later were to prepare for and react to Cyclone Evan.

After all the smaller Fijian islands were evacuated tourists flooded Nadi hoping for a bed somewhere, anywhere. Without question we chose BAMBOO. While Acquarius and Smugglers on the same street do have swimming pools and extensive restaurant menus (overpriced & bad service) BAMBOO remained noticably cheaper than the rest. They went out of their way to accommodate everyone, even shoving extra beds into rooms where they could. They transformed one of the back dorms into a Tv/Games room which acted as a base for everyone to hide out and be together until the cyclone passed. The entertainment staff had the guitars out singing for over 12 hours straight, just to take peoples minds off what was happening outside.

They provided candles & matches for all the rooms, provided dinner of roast chicken and lamb stew to all despite the electricity being down. How they managed it I dont know. (The staff literally ran back and forth from the kitchens outside in the middle of the cyclone risking their lives for everyone) Someone even stayed up right throughout the night keeping the candles lit in the halls for those going to the toilet.

I dont know what her name is but the cleaner in BAMBOO is an incredibly wonderful woman ensuring we were all ok right through the day and night. I absolutely love the staff there! Even the next morning they were all up at 7am surveying the damage and starting the clean up with huge smiles on their faces despite their island being destroyed. Their positivity and eternal happiness is incredibly infectious. The rest of the world could learn so much from them.

I was devastated to leave Fiji, and only wish they recover soon from the destruction soon. In short, there is a reason why Bamboo has been rated No. 1 in Nadi. We will be back.

Vinaka vaka levu!!!!!! Alex, Ireland x

Room Tip: There are $6 or $9 (oz dollars) dorms available which are both fine if you are just looking for some...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is one of the best hostels of Fiji. Still, there were a couple of problems to me. One is, they don't have "change" of money. When I checked in, I put out $50 and $10 bills to pay $54. They didn't have $6 change and they didn't give it to me until I claimed much later. One day, I tried to buy coke from the vending machine in their restaurant. I didn't have one dollar coin, so I asked a worker in the restaurant to break my $2 bill. (The vending machine accepts only $1 coins!) They didn't have $1 coins and I was told to go to the reception. However, the reception didn't have either, so I had to give up coke. Another day, I went to the restaurant for breakfast. I put out $5 bill to buy $2 meal, but they didn't have change again. They told me to go to the reception, but I didn't, because I knew it would be a waste time. (I bought $5 meal.) The other problem is, their Wifi is slow and hard to catch even in the Wifi area. This may not be the hostel's fault and probably we should not expect good wifi connection in Fiji. In spite of these problems, I rated this hostel as 5 stars. Some staff were very friendly and rooms were always clean. The room rates were reasonable. Especially the fire dance show (not every night) was a lot of fun. If I go back to Nadi, I may stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Bula My friends:)

bamboo hostel is the best hostel i've ever stayed by far. staff are so welcoming and they make you feel at home. great vibe, good location, fire dancing every 2nd night. bus stop is 1 minutes from the hostel, 2 minutes walk from the beach, great night life, cheap rooms, good food etc.....i could go on forever about how good this hostel is.....

if you are looking for good time and on budget this place is perfect for you my friends. i have stayed here for almost 4 weeks and i don't even want to go home( you would loose yourself in FIJI TIME:)
hope you choose this hostel so you know what i am talking about.

Room Tip: all the rooms are good but if you are travelling with your partner then i recommend the private roo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Tropic of Capricorn
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Nadi Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Bamboo Hostel? Share your experiences!