“Good, clean, cheap resort in Nadi” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wailoaloa Beach Resort Fiji

Wailoaloa Beach Resort Fiji
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Good, clean, cheap resort in Nadi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with this resort. We weren't expecting luxury because of how cheap the resort was but our room was absolutely MASSIVE, it had a TV with a few english channels, and although it was only a fan room (air con is available at an additional charge) this was ok,it was hot but not too hot. The room itself was very clean and we didn't see any bugs or cockroaches. We were right by the swimming pool as well.

The swimming pool area itself is good, it could do with a few more sun loungers as I think there were only about 7 which isn't a lot but the swimming pool is clean, the stairs are a big dangerous to get into the pool so these could do with being replaced.

All of the staff are very friendly at the resort and the bar and food are reasonably priced and the food is very nice. The breakfast which is included is a bit weird, it seemed to change every day and we never really knew what we were getting and apart from the cold baked beans it was good, I would have quite liked to just have cereal rather than a cooked breakfast but it was good for being included in the cost!

If you are just looking for a place to stay close to the airport before either leaving Fiji or going off on a island hopping adventure I would definitely recommend Wailoaloa Beach Resort as it's a fab little resort.

On a side note the actual beach is DISGUSTING, it is honestly one of the worst beaches I have ever seen in my life, so if you are do fancy going to the beach I wouldn't recommend Wailoaloa!

3 Thank Lucy Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

i would definately reccomend this place...value for money doesnt even cover it......i paid 8 aud a
nite for a bunk in a 4 bed unit with ensuite...thats about a tenner in english and that was with breakfast.........basic but good...5 minutes to the beach and a few lively local and tourist beach bars and eateries...perfect

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jimmorris510
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I wanted to like the Wailoaloa Beach Resort in Nadi, Fiji. The idea of a reasonably-priced, comfortable hotel that could cater to both backpackers and families, in light of the outrageous prices charged by the luxury resorts on nearby Denarau Island, attracted me. As it turned out the place has its plusses but five nights were too much. We were attending a wedding near Nadi and only had time for one day-trip to a smaller island, and we didn't want to pay upwards of $350 (US) a night for a five-star hotel. But even with the reasonable price ($47 a night through Agoda) I think we could have had a better experience somewhere else for not too much more money. Two other couples attending the wedding, who had been to Fiji before, rented a two-bedroom apartment with cooking facilities and split the $200 a night tab.

First the positives: the staff is very friendly and tries to be helpful; the grounds are well kept and colorful, with flowers everywhere; the private rooms with AC are reasonably priced, comfortable enough (especially the mattresses), and mostly clean; the free breakfast is ample, and in fact the coffee, toast and eggs were not bad. We didn't use the pool but it looked clean. We also didn't use the free airport shuttle but we saw that some did and we didn't hear any complaints.

Now the negatives: Room was not made up until 4 o'clock. Even allowing for the famous "Fiji Time" mentality, this was not acceptable. (The attendent, who was a lovely, cheery lady who worked hard, said they were understaffed.) One day the room was not made up at all, which we found out on arriving late at night, because the desk clerk said we didn't leave our key. This necessity was not communicated, since there was no orientation or policy sheet given at check-in. While I didn't expect luxury, the room furniture was very worn and drab. And while the room was mostly clean, the shower stall had more than a little mold and needed a renovation. The bathroom sink faucet was loose. We had to ask three times over three days for more hangers than the three provided. While the mattress was comfortable, the pillows were tiny. And while breakfast was OK, dinner was a disaster. We were the only ones in the restaurant area the one night we decided to eat in, and there was a reason for that. We waited 45 minutes while being bitten by mosquitoes in the open restaurant area (the waitress eventually brought a lighted coil) before finally getting fish curry (for my wife) and lamb fried rice (for me.) Both were awful. The fish curry was with tuna (never heard of that before) and the lamb curry had very small bits of lamb, which were tough. Seems to me the reason people eat lamb rather than sheep is that lamb is supposed to be tender. On our island tour we talked to another couple we recognized from the hotel and we both agreed never again.

The "animal house" chaos my wife was apprehensive about from backpackers never materialized. There were actually few backpackers in evidence while we were there and they were couples who kept to themselves. If anything the place was too quiet. We were the only ones at "happy hour," and the reservation clerk had to open the bar area to serve us. Maybe it was out of season for New Zealanders.

Other points: No phones, even in the "deluxe" rooms, although the desk clerk came to get us when relatives called. The computers were 15 minutes free for checking emails, and in fairness they didn't enforce the 15 minutes if no one was waiting. But usually two of the four pc's were out of order and they were very slow. As has been said in other reviews, don't be fooled by the "beach resort" name. They say the beach is a five minute walk away, but it was 15 for us via a fairly busy public road. We're not lie-on-the-beach people, but if we were, we would have been really mad after that walk. The "beach" is a stretch of black sand pounded down by vehicles, with litter all around. Close to the airport can be positive and negative. The airport noise is there, at a predictable 6 AM and 10;30 PM, but didn't bother us because we were awake at those times. As has been said, luckily the air traffic in Nadi is light. And yes, there are insects, which you can't escape in the tropics. We saw about one roach a night and frequent ants around the loose faucet. Didn't freak us out but there shouldn't be that many sightings.

In summary, if you've been island-hopping in Fiji and want a low-cost night near the airport for your final night, it's not a horrible experience. If you're staying more than two days, you'll probably feel better elsewhere, even if it costs a bit more. I can see couples spending money on the plush hotels if it's a honeymoon or romantic holiday, but that wasn't the reason we came. With the cost of the air fare from NY, we felt we should save some on the accommodations, and we did. Still, there were just two many negatives to rate this a three-star.

Room Tip: You can get a good price on a "deluxe" room with air conditioning, through booking service...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Nadi hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here on two separate occasions both for one night before and after our island hopping exploits. Both stays were eventful in there own right. Firstly value for money in this place is excellent with a private room costing approx £20. Being so cheap we were not expecting royal treatment and for what you pay the facilities are reasonable. The pool was excellent and you also get free wifi. The free wifi however only applies to your own computers and is located only in the bar, not all areas of the hotel which their website states. Breakfast is cold toast and cold baked beans and occasionally cold eggs. Breakfast certainly incorporates Fiji time so if you have a transfer, make sure you get to breakfast with an hour to spare. Staff were polite and the free airport transfer was also good. The location also isn’t bad being a 15 minute walk to smugglers cover and other restaurants and a 6 Fijian Dollar taxi ride to Nadi centre.

Our first room was reasonable in size however our bathroom door kept literally locking itself. We had to ask a member of staff on Fijian time to break into our toilet on numerous occasions with a huge knife practically destroying the door. In the end we conceded and propped the bathroom door open.

Our second stay was far more eventful and could rival a chapter from the jungle book. The room was the same size but unfortunately for us had a family of geckos living in the there. With this in mind we decided to sleep with the small light on, slightly later in the night we woke and spotted a spider the size of a fist on the wall, after we lept out of bed the spider sprinted across the wall and then fell off onto the pillow and crawled behind the bed. As we were searching for something to catch this spider with we went into the bathroom to find a toad merrily jumping around. I appreciate there are lots of wildlife in Fiji and I guess this kind of thing can be expected but it certainly wasn’t fun at 5 in the morning catching spiders and ushering out toads.

All in all we didn’t pay a lot for this place and a few strange events were undoubtedly going to occur, if your on a tight budget this isn’t a bad place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
nadi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

i would recommend this hotel to anyone coz its just perfect staying here. the staffs food and rooms are all up to expectation. the only thing that disappointed me was that when i was having my breakfast i saw the chef in his uniform smoking near the dinig area.being a chef myself i think this kind of behaviour is totaly unhygienic.but anyways thanx for the lovely stay

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

I booked this place because they did free transfers, had free wifi and I could book my transfer boat to Musket Cove through them cheaper than with Musket Cove.
First mistake, there was nobody at the airport to meet me. Then when they turned up they took some other people before me (and I had been waiting longer-I was NOT happy). So after over an HOUR of waiting at the airport (after a 28hour flight from London) they finally picked me up and sped to the resort. My room was average. Tired looking. Definitely not as nice as in the pictures.The bathroom was not so nice, and there was building work going on right next to my room, so I didnt get much sleep. Breakfast was average, and options often unavailable. I was too tired to have dinner so cant comment on that.
Even the other guests were not very friendly, probably because they were all equally as pissed off as I was.
The next morning I was waiting for my transfer to the port for the boat, and after 30 mins of waiting they come out to tell me that it hadnt been booked correctly and no one was coming to get me.
I threw a bit of a tantrum, and because by then there wasnt even enough time to get a taxi and I was going to miss the boat. They ended up driving me to the port just in time to make my boat. But then I had to pay the more expensive rate. (and I only stayed with Wailoaloa because they could save me money, and in the end all they did was make me wait and not save anything anyway!)
The wifi is slow, can check emails but thats about it.

Went for a walk and ended up hiring some bikes at Smugglers Cove. The staff there seemed much more competent, and much nicer setting. I would NEVER stay at Wailoaloa again. I had wished that I had stayed there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank julzinlondon
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed here actually two nights! The experience didn´t start well. We emailed them asking to please pick us up and now one replied.. after 3 more emails still nothing..
but when we arrive to the airport they were there. So we thought they were reliable!

We made the awful mistake to stay again with them! before we left fiji. We had dinner the food is just horrible!!! the menu is so poor and there is nothing around there so save you from that nasty food. Even a banana split is horrible! How can you screw something that simple!

But the worst was in the morning with our transfer to the airport. On the day before we told them 3 times our departure time and they told us we could have breakfast and after we go.
What happen breakfast took ages so we just gave up and ask for the transfer at the hour we had agreed after telling them 3 times the day before and twice in the morning....

guess what!! the car was not there they had just taken some one else... and didn´t even bother to ask if we wanted to go as well......

we had to change our tone to a bit more stressed and explain that the plane doesn´t leave on FIJI time!!! then they finally took us to the airport! When we arrived the check in was closing in 10min! and we had planned to be there 2 hours before if they had taken us at the time we told them many times!

really do not stay here! pay a little bit more and have a reliable service! is not worth the stress you get handling with these people.

Room Tip: truest the advice of people giving terrible to this place and do not stay here! unless you like be...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple