“OK for a night before some island activity”

Horizon Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Nadi
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night before heading out to the islands and that was enough for me. The place is fine, just not somewhere you would want to spend too much of your holiday time.

The dorm rooms are ok, the bathrooms and decidedly average, the breakfast was tea or instant coffee and white bread toast with jam. I can't remember how much we paid (we book a night there at the airport) but apparently it's cheaper if you just arrive there.

if you do stay here, or any other place in Nadi beach area, I would recommend getting a taxi to town for dinner at Small Plates chinese restaurant, it was cheaper than eating at the hostels and much nicer, and it's only a $5 taxi ride in. You can also pop to the super market to stock up on water, alcohol, snacks and anything else that costs 5 times as mcuh once you're off the mainland - actually, buy your booze at the airport on arrival as it is considerably cheaper than Nadi town, and miles cheaper than the islands

Another potentially useful tip is to get the speed boat from the beach at Smuggler's to one of the Mamanuca islands before picking up singles on the Yasawa Flyer rather than buying a Bula Pass. We visited 5 or 6 islands in 2 weeks and it worked out a bit cheaper for us. Just check with the people at Smuggler's, they are very helpful and honest.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 16, 2012

As a Flipino, I know all about "cheap places," after my culture makes an industry out of it! However, this place is actually pretty high for being "cheap," and the service offered is little to nothing. They will come get you from the airport (to get money from you) but once they have the money, you can get your own way back to the airport. Bad ethics.

Room Tip: No good. Dont stay on New Beach. They all suck.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This is a cheap backpackers place that is a good value if you have nothing to be stolen. We stayed here for a week and while we were away for the day on a boat someone stole $200USD from my wallet. I was 100% certain the money was there the morning I left and gone the night we returned. The room was locked but there were no safes in the room for me to lock up my money. Just glad that was all that was taken as we had good camera equipment and a computer. This is clearly not the first time as we just read a previous review of the same problem. Very sad because its a great location and not bad for the price - that is if you don't get $$ stolen ;(

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you have valuables you are guarding. I was totally ripped off!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrvlTrth
Reviewed August 17, 2011

After 7 months travelling Horizon was my last stop before home and I stayed there for 4 weeks and loved every second.
Yes its basic - but its clean, the staff were fantastic - some even invited me to their homes -if you make the effort to speak to them the kindness is more than repaid. I felt like Horizon was my home and was really sad to leave it.

Having had worse service at hotels which cost an awful lot more I'm glad to recommend Horizon -as other people have mentioned you get to use Smugglers Cove facilities and the dorms are actually more spacious and cheaper than those at Smugglers Cove. Its also cheaper to eat there as some of the food at Smugglers is prepared at Horizon anyway.

Its not the most glamourous place I've ever seen but I couldnt ask more for the price and really miss the staff and people I met there. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank evoluptua
Reviewed January 10, 2011

sorry, this actually happened in 2006..we were picked up from the airport and taken in the middle of the night to this place..the guy checked us in and walked us thru what seemed like a maze of rooms and corridors..we went into a dark room obviously full of people and he kicked 2 people out of bed and told us there are your beds..the people worked there and they did not change the sheets after getting up..the AC made noise but did not make cold air..terrible...BUT..I met a medical student staying there in Dec 2010 and he was there for 6 weeks and said it was fine..and super cheap..so maybe it is better now.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2010

We were a last minute booking, booked a standard double room (which includes double bed, en suite bathroom/toilet, small fridge, kettle, a ceiling fan, and and most times, a tv) the staff were helpful, sent the courtesy van to pick us up from the airport.
Whenever you meet any staff member at Horizon, you'll always be greeted with a smile, and a friendly 'Bula!' .
We also stayed in one of their double rooms with aircon, and they're great too ($5 or $10FJD extra) but we found even the ones with just ceiling fans to be fine.
The facilities that are available to use next door at Smugglers cove are great, there are nightly cultural performances with music and fire performances.
There is a help yourself style breakfast included in the price and is served on the patio next to the pool every morning.

We found that while Horizon is very basic, they do what they are there to do very well. It would suit confident travellers really well, but still be fine for first timers as well.
There are many taxi's that hang around there, and barter your way with them for a good price into Nadi town (my partner usually managed it for $5FJD, I settled for about 6 or 7, but if someone is not willing to go for the price you want, keep trying someone else, because there is ALWAYS someone who will take it)

And if there are none around, the staff are more than happy to help you out by calling one. No problems getting to sleep either as Horizon is situated at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, no real party spots too close to bother you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Becca_Sophie
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We (4 female friends - 22-53) stayed here for 4 nights, we weren't really expecting too much, and had a family room with aircon. It is an older building, nothing flash. However we had an absolute ball, the staff were wonderful, and even went to the trouble of looking after us when we wanted to go to the nearby night club. One of the guys on the desk and one of the security guards came with us and made sure we got back safely. For one of the girls in our party it was her first o/s trip and she wasn't sure if it was safe on our own. These two employees had finished their shifts and really helped us and made us feel safe. Thank you Luke and Claudius. However management fired one of them, and the other guy didn't turn up to work on his next shift (we think he may have been fired too).
We are absolutely devastated, and disgusted with the management of Horizon and Smugglers.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends