“a little piece of paradise”
Review of Bluewater Lodge

Bluewater Lodge
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed June 30, 2009

A brilliant place to stay, I didn't want to leave. Booked it because of the glowing reviews and it surpassed my expectations and I've done alot of travelling. The staff could not have been friendlier and they immediately made us feel like part of the family. Well done to Fiona, Mike and all the staff. You could not have been more attentive, kind and good fun to be with. The food was out of this world, masterchef quality and the entertainment was spontaniously shared with staff and fellow travellers. The place was spotlessly clean, comfy beds, spacious hot showers and beautiful grounds made this a truely memoriable stay. I'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank buitraveller
There are newer reviews for Bluewater Lodge

Reviewed June 26, 2009

Loved this place, very clean and tidy! We stayed a total of 3 nights. 2 at the start of our trip to look around Nadi and one night between travelling to another island.

The food was one of the best we had while in FIJI, the service was great and the room was very clean and new. We stayed in a room that had it's own bathroom. It was only $95 FJD per night...... with bfast ...cheap!

If you are after a 5 star resort, with a great beach and ready to party with other guests... this is probably not the right place to stay... but we loved it... it was a great place to stop over.

We cant fault this lodge for a few nights and the price we paid!!

We also stayed at Botaira Resort( best of all) , Coconut grove and Sherton- all were great- see other reviews.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Mike and Fiona are amazing hosts. They go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. It is a cozy and intimate guest house with only a few rooms, so I would suggest booking early as this place is no longer a secret. I was stranded in Nadi for several days during severe rains. I was lucky to be at the Blue Water Lodge during this time. I spent my days swimming during rainstorms in the beautiful pool, watching the DVD's available at the desk, and hanging out with new friends made at the lodge. Even in rough conditions, during a national disaster, we were entertained with live music on several evenings. Thank you John for serenading us with your beautiful voice and magic guitar playing. When it was raining too hard for us to step out for lunch, Fiona cooked us a special meal. She is an amazing chef and I would highly recommend dinner. The staff were smiling and helpful even though some days they had to swim through the streets to get to work! When the rains cleared up Mike spent an afternoon taking us out in his car to show us the area and surrounding towns. Their hospitality is incredible. Blue water lodge and its staff will always have a special place in my heart.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Bluwater lodge is a very special guesthouse and Mike and Fiona ( the owners) should be very proud.
Its got a nice outdoor pool with wooden decking, spacious and spotless dorms ( only 3 bed as well ) huge showers also spotless and absolutely amazing food. I need to say that again so it really sinks in ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FOOD!.
Mike and Fiona are really acommodating and friendly and seriously every body knows your name and uses it - even after 1 night. Even after 1 hour!
At the moment it has no credit card facilities although I believe that is being fixed shortly. ( and Mike kindly drove me to a atm to fix this up)
There was also no internet while I was there- no major problem- 5 minutes down the road at Smugglers cove they charge you 4FJD for 1/2 hour. I also believe this is being fixed as well.
My only suggestions possibly would be reading lights in the dorm and perhaps mosquito nets- I am a magnet for mosquitos and I did get bitten ( although I think another guest in the dorm left a window open perhaps thats why)
I'm no longer someone who ever stays in a dorm ( my partner and I prefer our own space) we waived that to come here based on the trip advisor recommendations and im very glad we did. This place was my last stop on my trip to Fiji and it left me with a really great impression.
There are 2 private doubles available if you are lucky enough to get the space.
This place comes highly recommended and I am already planning to send my parents to stay here in the future.
Thanks to Mike and Fiona for letting us stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2009

This place is just awesome! The staff, food, entertainment are all just great! Really nice chilled atmosphere that will leave you feeling really relaxed. The rooms were very and clean and comfy as well. Will definately be back!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2009

When looking for a places to stay on the mainland of Fiji, we were disapointed in the lack of choice. We eventually settled for the Bluewater Lodge as it was rated highly in the reviews. However, the rating is a little misleading. If you are back packing, it would probably be considered ideal. It has a nice pool, good food, clean rooms at a reasonable price, however, we found it lacking.

As we aren't backpackers, but middle aged tourists, we tend to expect most things to be laid on, but you don't get that here. There was no food available during the day, no TV, no hairdryer, no glasses in the room and no loungers round the pool (you have to lay on the timber flooring!) When we asked were we could buy an inflatable lilo, we told that you couldn't buy them locally, but they would get a couple for us in town. However, that never happened.

At night we were disturbed several times by dogs barking. They were in the property across the road and went mad every time someone went by.

There is not a great deal to do in the area. No shops, just a few local backpacker hotels & hostels. A couple of hotels called 'Smugglers Cove' & 'Aquarius' were OK and gave us a change of scenery. The beach was a bit grubby but OK. Bluewater Lodge did have evening entertainment of some local guys with guitars most evenings that we were there, which was nice. It did become a bit 'samey' each evening, but maybe I'm just difficult to please.

We booked the room through Hostel.com and found out on our arrival that we had booked two rooms, not one! The way the booking form was laid out showed 1 bed for 1 person at the rate of $90 (£31-57) a night. We assumed that just that, but it actually meant, 1 bed for 2 persons! Compared to the cost of hotels we normaly stay at, it's quite cheap to stay here, so we accepted the cost. We agreed with the owner that we would honour our agreement and pay for both rooms, but if he could let the spare room, he would reimburse us. When people started to use the room, we thought great, we haven't got to pay for it now, but when it came to paying, we were told that he had let the people who had booked the dormitory, use it for a few dollars extra, so we ended up only getting a small discount. This left a bad taste in our mouths and we felt that we had been ripped off. What made it worse was that we were never asked if that would be acceptable.

All in all, it is not somewhere we would ever consider staying at again. It was an experience, but not a great one.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I stayed here on three separate occasions when arriving into Fiji late at night en route to Pacific Harbor based on Trip Advisor recommendations. I booked one of the two private bedrooms with ensuite facilities and was very pleased with my choice. The room is a bit small but it’s like staying at an upmarket friend’s house with nice, modern furnishings.

I had trouble getting an e-mail response so I booked via Hostelcom. The only problem with booking that way is that you can’t advise the Lodge of your flight arrival time for pick up. I kept sending them e-mails, and finally got a response back. Apparently, Yahoo and Hotmail were bouncing e-mails from the Lodge’s Internet service provider but the problem is now fixed. They were, however, having a problem with their credit card machine, so check that this is working when they pick you up. Mike is quite happy to stop at an ATM machine on the way to the Lodge if you need cash. If you book via Hostelcom remember to have them deduct your deposit from the room bill!

Mike was there to pick me up once late at night. However, on one occasion there was a mix up by the taxi and I had to call to get a pick up. They sent someone from the lodge with the taxi driver to apologize and make up for it though.

There’s a friendly restaurant with some live music over a deck by the pool area that seems popular, although I never ate there as I always arrived late at night and left early in the morning. However, some regulars tell me they stay here because they like the food and quiet ambience so much. One of the owners’ family also makes quality wood carvings which are displayed near the restaurant and popular with guests.

Quality for price is very good and I’d happily stay here again and have recommended it to others needing an overnight place to stay in Nadi.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo