“Paradise found in the shadow of a Sleeping Giant.”
Review of Stoney Creek

Stoney Creek
Ranked #19 of 52 Viti Levu B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stoney Creek feels like a mountain oasis, and it is only an eight minute drive from Nadi airport. The cooler temperature and lush green surrounds offer a stark contrast to the Viti Levu coast.

Michelle and Gary have perfected indoor outdoor living, with the gentle curves of the pool melding into the Resort’s restaurant and bar area. As I read my book pool side, my eyes were repeatedly drawn across the landscaped gardens, sugar cane fields to the sleeping giants face etched in ridge line. Like most guests I desperately wanted to stay an extra night, in my state of exhaustion I was beyond grateful that Fiji has saved one of my best accommodation experiences for my last night.

For those who have a bit more cash and want something more than a dormitory, or a basic ‘love shack’ try a ‘bure’, it’s worth it. The spa bath set in the corner of the room became my happy place after a hectic ten days. The two room bure was immaculately clean, could sleep up to three people, and so relaxing it was almost surreal.

Michelle is an amazing host. She has the ability to welcome you, make you feel totally relaxed and emotionally disarmed...with just a smile. She and her kitchen team prepare all the food fresh and on site, the menu has different specials every night, and yes, the food is YUMMY.

If you feel like doing something a little adventurous, the Sabeto Valley has more hidden treasures to be discovered beyond Stoney Creek. My facial pores can highly recommend the nearby mud-baths and hot pools, and I discovered that October is the perfect time to visit the Valley of the Sleeping Giants orchid gardens.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Blondini006

Reviewed November 10, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of our trip to Fiji and for one night at the end of our trip.

Upon our arrival in Fiji at 5 am, we took a taxi from the airport which the hotel paid for. Even though we arrived very early we were able to get into our rooms which allowed us to take a nap after a long plane ride. Prior to arriving Michell'e, the owner, had emailed me detailed instructions on what to expect at the airport and how to arrange transportation to her hotel, where to change money, a description of her boutique resort and what to do while staying there. She mentioned her friendly dogs which she rescues and they were indeed friendly.

Our room was comfortable with fresh flowers laid about every day. Thankfully we did not need to use the mosquito net provided. The meals were good and the bar well stocked. All the staff were extremely nice and helpful. We were there just before the busy season so enjoyed the relaxed ambiance of the mountain retreat. There are various levels of accomodations so we were able to meet honeymooners in private bures and young travelers staying in a dorm like building. There is a pool table, pingpong table, pool, darts, etc and a miniture golf course under constuction.

The hotel/resort is about 20 minutes from Nadi but taxis can be called. We enjoyed walking about the area and enjoying the locals. We went to mud pools and an orchid garden founded by Raymond Burr ie Perry Mason.

Gary, Michell'e's husband, happened to be our pilot on our flight back from New Zealand to Fiji. He's a great guy with lots of energy and lots of stories.

So, as you can tell, I liked this hotel/resort mostly because of the people we met and the rural area where it is situated. If you want nightlife, you will have to take a taxi to find it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FilomenaMenloPark_CA
Reviewed October 28, 2010

This is a great place to stay before or after the islands and when you get tired of the sand. It is surrounded by the mountains and the views are excellent. You can also stay here instead of one of the hotels in Nadi if you are flying out the next day.
Walking around, the villagers are very, very friendly. Don't be alarmed if you come across people with machetes - this is normal for cutting the sugar cane! As are the small fires everywhere.
You get a sense that you are staying at people's home here, and you are. The owners like to socialise with guests.
You must love dogs and cats - there are 7 of each, and the dogs are very friendly.
The food was good, too.
The first night I didn't sleep, but after adjusting sleep was fine.
You can walk to the hot springs from here. The Garden of the Sleeping Giant may require a taxi though. You can also walk in the mountains or take the bus to the local village.
A good place to have a 'holiday within a holiday' if you are on a longer trip.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travels2010C
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Great hotel with extremely helpful staff. Beautiful grounds with a rustic Fijian feel. Highly recomend

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Stoney Creek Resort, Fiji

I had a great time at Stoney Creek Resort in Fiji, and if I had to stay in Nadi again for a night, I’d certainly choose this isolated little place again.

Stoney Creek Resort is not the picture postcard setting that many would imagine thinking of Fiji - it’s not in a secluded bay, it’s not even by the beach, and it’s doesn’t provide Fijian dancing or other ceremonies that are omnipresent in many a resort on the outlying islands.

It is, instead, a unique place in the mountains, but only a short (albeit sometimes adventurous) taxi ride out of Nadi, that allows you to avoid many an overpriced sub-standard hotel near the airport.

The atmosphere is quiet and relaxed, there’s a big pool, it’s set up nicely and oddly has a wild west theme going on here and there. It’s not overdone to the point where you’d wish you were in Mexico though, but this oddity makes it all the more charming.

That is also the word for the owner Michelle. We were the only guests during the first night of our stay, and were welcomed at the gate, where she berated the taxi driver for wanting to charge us more than the normal fare. She was extremely friendly, welcoming and helpful and made us custom dinners the same night. There was no menu, she just asked what we liked and she and her staff would make it for us.

The service was wonderful throughout the three days we stayed. Even before we arrived she replied quickly to our emails, and during our stay she took calls from our relatives and took messages, and she also sat down with us for a meal, a drink or just a chat. It is certainly one of the most personal, professional and pleasant customer service I have experienced.

Our bure was small but very nicely decorated. Remember that this is not a 4 or 5 star resort on a secluded island, and it doesn’t pretend to be. Everything's pretty new, nicely done but not flashy or luxurious, rather down-to-earth. It’s a gem just a bit outside of Nadi (which is not so nice), and we were surprised the hotel/resort did not have more customers at that time. It’s really inexpensive, very good value for money.

All in all, very clean, very pleasant, great service and very likable staff that really make an effort to host you, not to just provide you with a room and a meal and a quick bula before you head off to the Yasawa Flyer. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stumbled on a Stoney Creek brochure and decided to take a chance on it. We were very happy we did. The photos in the brochures did not do it justice. We stayed in Room 2 and it was huge with hot water and a massive King sized bed. Michelle and Gary make every effort to continually improve the resort and were half way through some ambitious plans for a 36 hole mini golf course. One slight warning, if you hate cats and dogs this is not the place for you but Michelle's 'Babies' are gorgeous and if you are lucky you might be able to go walkies down to the river (wear something dirty!!).GREAT FOOD AS WELL!

If you want a place near Nadi airport to chill and relax before a flight elsewhere this is the place for you! Thanks Michelle and Gary! "Let's go!!!"

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2010

This is the perfect place for those after some peace and relaxation away from all the crowds. The resort is nestled among stunning hills and the silence is amazing.

I am a 28 year old female and I was travelling solo on my way to meet up with a group of uni students as I study tourism. I wanted a few days to explore and wind down and slip into "Fiji time" and this was the perfect place to do so.

I had paid just for a dorm bed but upon seeing I was on my own Michelle kindly upgraded me to a private room at no extra cost. She also invited me to go with her to see the local market and she is an amazing cook.

I will remember this place forever and vow to return!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo