“Must do in Raro”

Tamarind House Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Avarua
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The exclusive, romantic and private restaurant venue on the island with delicious and world-renowned Pacific cuisine. Away from the crowds and the public eye, a fine dining evening with your loved ones or a wedding at Tamarind House is an extra special experience. Whether your requirements are large or small, we are eager to accommodate you with an event that you will long remember. Tamarind House is a versatile venue offering five different areas to suit any occasion. Tamarind House Restaurant on the island of Rarotonga in the Cook Islands is situated on a large oceanfront property, with it's stately beautifully restored historic colonial house, huge verandas and french doors, and a lovely garden shaded by coconut palms and green lawns sweeping down to the ocean. It is just a 3 minute drive from the town centre, and the round the island bus stops just by the entrance. You can enjoy a feeling of nostalgia for a bygone era in the peaceful seclusion of our truly unique tropical setting..
Napier, New Zealand
“Must do in Raro”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

We just have returned from having our wedding reception at Tamarind House. It was amazing. The staff at Tamarind are all welcoming and professional and the food was outstanding. Sue made the whole experiance stress free and very easy. It really is a special spot. Weather you are planning a wedding or just a fantastic meal out you will not be disappointed if you choose Tamarind House. Can't wait to go back!!

1 Thank Vikki007

Houston, Texas
“Amazing find in a remote place”
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I came here to celebrate my birthday after reading the reviews and viewing the website. I was very surprised at the quality of the cuisine and the cooking based on where in the world I was. I ordered the Baked Bried in Filo on papaya, cashews, salad greens with tropical fruit sauce and chutney for an appetizer and it was really excellent. For the main course, I ordered Chicken breast with papaya, apricot, coconut, cream cheese, cashew nuts, wrapped in bacon with risotto. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten. I loved it so much I purchased the cookbook and had Sue Caruthers sign it for me.

Christchurch, NZ
“Good food in great setting”
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We had been recommended this place for our anniversary dinner but as we were staying further round the island we opted for a casual lunch the day after as we didn't like driving at night. We sat outside where it was rather breezy but very welcome on a scorcher of a day. I had fish and chips which was parrot fish (from Palmerston apparantly) and my husband had smoked chicken salad. The fish was done in a light beer batter and accompanied by a generous and welcome serve of tartare sauce, chips and salad. My husband was in raptures over his very full plate and managed to polish everything off. I had a glass of Tamarind House Sav blanc (Lawson's Dry Hills) which was comparable in price to a NZ restaurant. The atmosphere and surroundings are very pleasant even though it is not the nicest beach front on the island. The main was satisfying but what is it with not offering extra drinks and dessert? Most places we went to never came back to see if everything was okay, if we wanted extra drinks or dessert. We finally managed to grab a passing waiter and order dessert. We shared a creme brulee and it was the first time we received fruit other than paw paw. The accompanying apple, grapes and passionfruit pulp were a pleasant change. The price is along the same lines as most other restaurants with lunch mains between $20-30 and dessert around $11.

nz
“Not as good as hoped for”
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Should really do better with the setting they have. Menu is FAR to big (which always sounds an alarm). Do fewer things and do them well would be a better motto. Very bad starter - really poor (overcooked wontons - methinks cooked much earlier, held and then served). Much, much better effort on mains - chicken coconut curry for me, fish curry for wife. Very good house pinot gris (Lawsons Dry Hills), excellent value - as with all Rarotongan restaurants we could not get them to serve us tapwater (its the tropics, water should be free, especially as it falls from the heavens so often!) so you get charged for bottled water. We drank tapwater all week on the island, its perfectly safe, so this is just a con - and as a developing nation with a landfill problem they really should not be forcing bottled water on clients.

wellington,
“best seafood platter ever!”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

well thats what my partner said, who loves seafood. i had a vegetarian dish which i was very happy to find, it was a eggplant stack and it was amazingly lovely and tasty. My partners seafood platter was huge and he loved everything on it. Unfortuneately we had no room for dessert, we will definately be visiting again on our future visits. Looks like and amazing place to get married too. Beautiful surroundings and the restaurant itself is lovely. the lawn and the sea view, looks like it would make the perfect wedding venue.