“Very good”

Tamarind House Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Avarua
Cuisines: Seafood, European, New Zealand, Polynesian
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The exclusive, romantic and private restaurant venue on the island with delicious and world-renowned Pacific cuisine. Away from the crowds and the public eye, a fine dining evening with your loved ones or a wedding at Tamarind House is an extra special experience. Whether your requirements are large or small, we are eager to accommodate you with an event that you will long remember. Tamarind House is a versatile venue offering five different areas to suit any occasion. Tamarind House Restaurant on the island of Rarotonga in the Cook Islands is situated on a large oceanfront property, with it's stately beautifully restored historic colonial house, huge verandas and french doors, and a lovely garden shaded by coconut palms and green lawns sweeping down to the ocean. It is just a 3 minute drive from the town centre, and the round the island bus stops just by the entrance. You can enjoy a feeling of nostalgia for a bygone era in the peaceful seclusion of our truly unique tropical setting..
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very good”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Excellent choice of food with lots of seafood on the menu and good drinks menu too. Setting is excellent, food very tasty and service fast and friendly. Definitely worth a visit!

• Visited June 2012

Gisborne, New Zealand
“Magical setting and amazing food!”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had dinner here last week. The setting is right on the beach and we had booked at 6pm so that the sun would be setting....it was stunning! The menu is exciting and varied with a large 'specials' board as well as a la carte.The menu shows a good mix of cuisines from the Pacific with Asian influences. if i had to choose a location for a wedding.... this would be it, it's very romantic with quiet, efficient service. I would recommend anyone who enjoys good food to book a table at Tamarind House.

• Visited June 2012
Nowra, Australia
“Wedding Lunch”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My new husband and I experienced our wedding lunch at Tamarind House. We had eloped and it was only the two of us. They made our lunch very private and decorated our table with red and white linen to match our attire. The food was absolutely beautiful. Thank you Tamarind House for making our wedding lunch very memorable.

Hamilton, New Zealand
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Went here for lunch on a wet and windy day - nice to sit inside but still see the sea from the restaurant. Took a while to decide what to have as too many things on the menu we both liked!
I had the Ocean Catch of the Day: Char-grilled and served on Smoked Salmon Mash, Taro Leaves and Lemon Hollandaise - very very nice. I am struggling to remember what the other half had (he eats fast so its not on his plate as long as mine, he he) but I think it was the fish sandwich. Both - really enjoyed our meals and the fish was beautifully cooked, I ate fish every day of our holiday - didn't realize how much I loved it! I had ice cream and lovely fresh fruit salad. A very enjoyable lunch and I would recommend it :)

Bay of Plenty
“Best place on the island for lunch”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

we dined here twice for lunch and both times were very good - the second time I was happy to see the fish curry as the special - I had it there last year - it was the best curry I had on the island - a lovely place to dine - highly recommend it