“Dissappointed”
Review of The Islander Hotel

The Islander Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Avarua
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I walked into my room and I know it was a budget hotel, I really had a problem. I am not complaining for me, but I am letting you know so that you dont send anyone else there!!! I dont think the bathroom/toilet floor had ever been washed, had to put a towel down on the floor, there was a massive fungis growing on the corner of the shower on the roof. The shower constantly dripped. The tap on the vanity was not fixed to the vanity and there was no plug. The pictures in the lounge were all growing something, the carpet needed a really good clean. The suitcase holder was so rusted. Only one of the four lights above the beds were working, they were very rusted. There were lamps missing. No air con but there was a fan,which you had to turn off at night, because it squeaked at every turn!! My room was only serviced once and that was the day I was leaving. The night before I left the whole curtain and rods fell completely off the wall and I had no curtains at all! Now I did go see them and they were very polite, but nothing was done. They said there was no-one there to fix things. They knew the curtains fall off in rooms three (my room) and five. I laughed so hard and then sat down and had a cry. Only three nights to endure. I must say the food there was fantastic and the linen and the bed was clean and comfortable. I know I paid for budget, but I did expect clean and I have attached some pictures so you can see I am not exaggerating

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank SusanjaneRotorua

Reviewed September 14, 2011

Great place to stay when you have an early morning arrival/departure from Raro airport. Stayed in a dorm for two nights at the begining and end of a holiday in Aitutaki. Was a cost effective place to stay. The dorm and bathrooms were clean and tidy and I was quite comfortable staying there. The bar, restaurant, pool, outdoor tables loungers etc were all great. Nice view of the reef and sea, nice place to have a few beers anticipating/reflecting on your holiday. Friendly staff, 2 minutes walk to the airport, nothing to fault really other than the price to use the internet. Recommended

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Matt38
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Our flight from Auckland arrived 1:00 am and we were departing on a 10:30 am flight to Aitutaki so we booked 2 rooms at the Aquarius and arranged airport pick-up. When we arrived they were waiting for us. Although the airport is within easy walking distance, I figured it was late and we would be tired. We walked back to the airport in the morning.

The rooms are clean and basic. There is no AC but it was a cool, breezy night so we had no trouble sleeping. The breakfast is very simple, just coffee, tea, juice, toast and fruit but it was adequate.

We left our luggage with them during our 4 night stay in Aitutaki for $5 per bag. When we came back to the airport, Pacific Resort Rarotonga picked us up and swung around to the Aquarius and we jumped out and picked up our bags.

The staff all seem to be hard-working and try hard to make your stay pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LynnDB
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The Aquarius serves a great purpose for back packers and budget-conscious travelers. More importantly, it offers a comfortable place for those in transition to relax, grab a bite, or a cocktail before a long international flight. It is within walking distance of the airport and offers a restaurant and full bar. There is no air conditioning in the private rooms BUT this is indeed stated in the brochure and on their web site. For the convenience and price the Aquarius is worth it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cabotoy
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We dropped in for an early breakfast last week on our way to Aitutaki, our flight was early and they weren't ready for breakfast but Ben told us to sit down and relax while he turned the coffee machine on and the kitchen fired up.

When it came the coffee was decent, and our breakfast of bacon and eggs was very tasty and quite cheap, I think only NZ$23 in total for 2 of us.

As an added bonus a mother whale and her calf were breaching just past the reef, no more than 200 meters from where we were sitting. The swam backwards and forwards for an hour or so, what a great way to start our Cook Islands holiday.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed here for one night after arriving from a late flight on our way to Aitutaki. Given the proximity of the hotel to the airport as well as the fairly cheap rate make this a good option for a quick night stay or for someone on more of a budget. Rooms are fairly bare bones but are decent size. The hotel is right on the beach and has an outdoor area with a pool and tables. Quite adequate for a quick stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Aquarius is right across the road from the only airport on Rarotonga. You can easily walk the 80 metres from the terminal to your room. (Leave terminal, turn RIGHT, keep walking)
Rooms are nice, tidy and spacious with a good ensuite.
The bed was king-size but not that comfy.
No T.V.
The internet was expensive and slow.
We stayed 2 nights and I thought I'd be woken by planes but this never happened. I was however, woken by other guests and the light in the hallway. Both can be blamed on the louvre windows above the room door which have no curtains (why?!?) The pool area looked nice and the hammocks were comfy. I ate in the restaurant which was pretty terrible (reviewed seperatly) and the included breakfast was as minimal as it could possible be.
As a 1 or 2 nighter for airport purposes you could do far worse.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.