“No Wonder Its So Popular”

Airport Motel - Tiare Village
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Tiare Village is a little jewel in a tropical garden - conveniently located close to Rarotonga Airport and within a reasonable walk of the town centre, it is a warm, funky, comfortable place with a relaxed casual atmosphere. I stayed in a single-room unit which was really good value for money and more than adequate for my needs. The whole place is managed by Adrienne who is as friendly, helpful and efficient as legend would have it. If my experience is typical then no wonder that Tiare Village is so popular and wins so many awards. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed in a shared dorm room. Maria ran the place while Adrienne was on holiday, and had a hard time coping (even though there were hardly any guests as she was turning people away so she wouldn’t have to do so much). Alot of her time was spent sitting around smoking, and moaning to guests about how she wasn’t getting enough sleep (from having to pick guests up during the night); how she was not being paid for doing this job; all the things she’d like to change about the place (turn it into a café/gallery), and/or how she was going to have the place closed down. I certainly wasn’t looking to have my “hand held” or anything, but as a first-time visitor to Raro and travelling alone, I did have some occasional questions. I don’t care how cheap a place is – as a customer I should NOT be made to feel like I am being bothersome for being proactive and making simple, standard requests (you’ll notice in positive reviews, what people value most is the friendliness and helpfulness of their host – you don’t need to stay at a resort to get this!). My holiday was intended to be half relaxing at my chosen accommodation (and meeting new people there), and half getting out and about. Both were made difficult here and I felt like I was “walking on eggshells” as Maria had decided to take all her frustrations out on me on my second day here (I accidentally locked myself out of the dorm room – heaven forbid!). I was very shocked and upset to be treated this way, and don’t feel anything I did justified such a reaction. I’ve stayed at many backpackers throughout NZ and Australia and NEVER come across an attitude like this before. What a huge favour she did asking me to leave later (I’d asked to leave after the first bout of rudeness but she’d apologized and insisted I stayed). All I did this time was finally pluck up the courage to ask her to book a tour for me (and a new friend staying there) but as expected, it was too much trouble for her and I was verbally abused again and ordered to leave. She did me a huge favour - I went to a dorm room at Rarotonga Backpackers and what a difference - I was welcomed by a friendly host who was happy to give advice/book tours; a vibrant atmosphere and fun people to hang out with (always someone around); a great location right on the beach; a cooler dorm room with no mosquitoes; way less noise from roosters and dogs here in comparison (no they’re not so noisy all over the island!); free filtered water (Tiare’s is not safe to drink) and local calls available free of charge. So stay here at your own risk, because judging by some other reviews, if Adrienne (or in my case Maria) decides for any reason they dislike you, you’re in for a very unpleasant time. I now look forward to the usual defensive reply at any negative reviews…

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank purplesmurf1
Tiarevillage, Manager at Airport Motel - Tiare Village, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Kia Orana Andrea
Tiare Village pride ourselves in the ability to provide a clean, hospitable, informative and relaxing environment. As a Backpacker Accommodator for almost 12 years for Tiare Village I have had the privilege to meet and enjoy the company of literally hundreds of “incredible people from all over the world”. Many originally booked for 2 days and ended up staying for a month.. The weddings held here because this is where the couple met. Or those guests returning after 10 years with their partners, or the guests returning because their parents advised this is where they stayed 20 years ago.. Or the regular yearly returnee guests.. Or the English headmaster turned Author and wrote a book on his travels naming “Tiare Village” and his return stays here with us over the years, or the artist that painted his view of the village.. and so many many others.. BUT alas, there are the very very few (I am pleased to say) that one just cannot seem to do enough for and it ends in a review such as this.
I have chosen not to reply to your accusations as this is of your opinion. However, your opinion is not the same of the other guests staying at Tiare Village at the time you were here.
Manager

Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you are looking to have your hand held and 24/7 support, go and pay resort prices!

I had a fantastic stay with Maria. I stayed in a double dorm which was basic, clean and comfortable and offered unbelievable value for money. I was out and about every day walking, hiking, swimming, snorkelling and sunbathing and Tiare was a great base set back from the hullabaloo in a peaceful garden plot to return to.

I felt Tiare offered me the perfect blend of low cost, good cooking, washing, bathroom, sleeping facilities and will definitely look to return on my next visit
Thanks Maria & Bob the Tour Guide :-p

Room Tip: If you have a little extra money go stay poolside :-)
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We loved our stay at Tiare Village. We were greeted by Adrienne at the airport with a welcoming friendly smile. Our pool unit was clean and private. We were given an extra unit free of charge!!. Thank you to Adrienne for being a very approachable and helpful host, we met some great people staying here as well which was one of the bonuses of being at a place like Tiare Village. We were very sad to leave and will definitely come back in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We felt at home instantly. Adrienne was AMAZING!!! She was extremely helpful and nothing was ever too big for her. She went above and beyond for us and we felt so comfortable we didn't want to leave!! Tiare village is a beautiful place. We stayed in the pool side units and they were immaculate and spacious. The lounge area is a great place to meet other residents and we have made awesome new friends.The atmosphere is relaxing,the setting tranquil and the people you meet are absolutely lovely :) Adrienne you are Tiare village. It is generous and wonderful individuals like you that make first time travellers like myself want to come back. Tiare village will always hold a special place in our hearts :)

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Arrived at lovely Tiare Village enjoyed the stay had a room by the pool nice outlay in the room beds soft and comfortable. Great accomadation fantastic value for money. Adriene a great host and very helpful and knowledge of the island and places to see wouldn't hesitate to go back again with husband and kids.

Room Tip: Loved staying by the pool, some can choose the chalets or rooms inside all still handy to the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The worst place one could stay. We were not informed that we had to stay in the bus. When we arrived she denied and said she made it clear when we booked. She charged a 2percent on credit card without informing us. The showers were cold. The beds were dirty and had bed bugs. We asked if we could have a different room and she lied to us saying it was fully booked. The village was empty. The swimming pool was dirty. She gave us the bicycle for free and insisted I put this in my review that she had been generous to offer me the hazardous bicycles. Please stay somewhere else as you can pay cheaper or just the same thing some where else.

• Stayed: June 2013
8  Thank otagosurfer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avarua
The Islander Hotel
#4 of 5 in Avarua
Paradise Inn
Paradise Inn
#6 of 7 in Avarua

Been to Airport Motel - Tiare Village? Share your experiences!