All reviews anchorage restaurant beach front drumbeat bar beachfront room reef shoes onsite restaurant bbq night happy hour palm trees cook islands our honeymoon smaller pool restaurants within walking distance come home yogurt road noise sunday night
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was a reasonably solid hotel but I could not find anything special about it. It was not bad either and the food was quite ok. I found it a bit expensive for what it offered.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank PopeyeCalifornia
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Just got home from 7 nights at the Sunset Resort which we were very happy with.  Its handy to eating places that are only a short walk from the resort and the on site restruant is also good to eat at.  The beach is lovely with good snokelling right at your front door.  We had a poolside studio which was lovely and clean had everything you would want in the kitchen, that is if you wanted to cook.  The pools were clean and a good size and cocktail hour was fun.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HillBill2
Reviewed June 3, 2009

After two weeks in Rarotonga and Aitutaki, I had an opportunity to stay at the Sunset Resort for three nights before headin back to Vancouver.

I was tired and ready to come home, to be honest. But when I got to the Sunset Resort, my mood changed and I was so pleasantly surprised at this great accommodation!

All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Right from the driver that picks you up at the airport, to the restaurant and/or bar staff, to the chambermaids, to the reception desk workers.

I stayed at an Ocean View room and I'm not kidding... it was DEFINITELY an ocean view room all to myself! Great patio set up with comfortable loungers and chairs - you really didn't even need to hit the sand on the beach because the ocean view rooms were so close!

The rooms were immaculate and super clean. Did I ever get good nights of sleep there - no bugs, no noise, and a very quiet air conditioning unit. The kitchen was well-equipped and I would take away my food (that comes in huge sizes) and put it in my fridge for later.

Hammocks and loungers abound on their private beach and I saw many people snorkelling - the coral reef was quite close so the waves were quite audible and soothing.

There are several local resident kitties at this property. Friendly if you show them you're an animal lover. Chester, an orange and white tabby, in particular was even polite and would gently tap your knee first to see if it was okay to jump on your lap and curl up and purr away! They were all special cats and well-behaved... spoiled, too, I imagine! I would leave them little bowls of milk on the patio - I think that's the only time I had to break up a territorial milk fight! ;-)

They have a Happy Hour at the Drum Beat Bar. Anna was EXCEPTIONAL and even though the posted list may seem small, Anna will mix you whatever you want - your own creation - and was extremely welcoming, making you feel like you were part of the group (I was travelling solo). I met several people during Happy Hours - all of us from different places - and had engaging conversations that were stimulating. I'm glad Anna made me come to these.

The restaurant was awesome (The Anchorage). Daily specials and events posted regularly. I'm a vegetarian and was pleased to see many options for me. Even a vegetarian pizza, which I have to say, is one of the best I've had in my travels around the world. It even had pumpkin in it - superb.

I would highly recommend this property. It was also relatively close to downtown Rarotonga, so it was a short bus ride if you wanted to go shopping, etc. Great location - close enough to town, but far enough away to be secluded.

Thank you to all the Sunset Resort staff for making my last stop in the Cook Islands such a pleasant experience! :-)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
8  Thank Yvette11
Reviewed May 27, 2009

we have recently returned from our 10 day vacation where we stayed at the sunset resort our last visit was 2 years ago when it had not long been reopened.over that period the grounds and gardens have all matured and made the resort a very attractive and quiet place to stay.the poolside bar is great with the extra space that has been created and with a good onsite restaurant offering good food and service we had a very relaxing and enjoyable time

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chergray
Reviewed May 9, 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights on our 4th trip to Raratonga and found it to be the best yet. We stayed in a beachfront room which was large, clean and the kitchenette well equipped, the shower was good. Whilst the continental breakfast lacked variety it was sufficient for our needs, we dined several times at the restaurant during our stay and the meals were beautifully prepared. The service at the restaurant was excellent. It was a shame there were not more patrons. I think everywhere on the island was fairly quiet this time. The snorkelling equipment was in good repair and though the lagoon was fairly shallow here it was adequate and the weather for the most part was great. The gardens the resort is set in were lovely.

The reception staff were efficient in booking and checkout and helpful if we had any questions.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple