All reviewsanchorage restaurantbeach frontdrumbeat barbeachfront roomreef shoesonsite restaurantbbq nighthappy hourpalm treescook islandsour honeymoonsmaller poolrestaurants within walking distancecome homeyogurtroad noisesunday night
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I travelled to Rarotonga with 3 friends for my 40th Birthday and stayed at the Sunset Resort. We stayed in a pool view room which was very spacious for the 4 of us and we didn't feel like we were on top of each other. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and really quiet at night which made for a good nights sleep. The reason we stayed there was because of the "no kids" policy. It was also in a good location as we walked to restaurants every evening and tried something different every night. Thankyou to the staff for making this a comfortable and memorable trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We arrived in the middle of the night and were a little nervous as to what to expect... but come dawn we were delighted. Beautiful, clean, modern accommodation at a very affordable price.

The rooms are large and modern with lovely light bright decor. The tv is on an odd angle in the lounge and doesn't seem to move, but we hardly watched it as we were out and about or snoozing on the comfy couches in the lounge.

The pools had a few flowers and leaves early in the morning blown in from the tropical low, but all clean and fresh by afternoon. The hammocks at the beach were divine. LOVED THEM!!!! And the snorkelling was great from the beach out front.

The Anchorage serves great food. A nice continental breakfast, with delicious lunch and dinner options. I especially recommend the rack of lamb with garlic potato mash... YUMMMMMMM!!!! Sonny looked after us in the restaurant and is a real treasure. All the staff were great!!!

The bus stops right outside and its only $4 for a trip around the island. Worthwhile to get your bearings then hire a car or bike and enjoy. We drove around the island at least 5 times and discovered new things each time.

Do the markets on Sat morning from 9-12. Food is not as expensive as fellow NZers told us. We thought restaurant prices were very fair and supermarkets/dairies too.

All in all Sunset Resort was a lovely resort and we were very happy here. We did move on to see the other side of the island for 5 more days, but both resorts were excellent.

Thank you Sunset for your lovely hospitality :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle B
ParadiseRarotonga, Manager at Sunset Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Kia Orana Michelle

Thank you for taking the time to write your review . We do think that the Anchorage offers good quality food at a reasonable price. We are really pleased that you took the opportunity to get around the Island as this is something we encourage all our guests to do . Then you feel like you have had a taste of what the Cook Island culture can really offer . I still enjoy going to the markets every Saturday ! We look forward to having you stay with us again
Meitaki Maata

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Nice layout, but the infrastructure is crumbling and none of the staff seems to care.

During our week beginning at the end of October, we tried on four consecutive days to get our air conditioning fixed. Never happened. Fortunately, the weather turned cool, and the unbearable became tolerable. And yes, having spent time in Guam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, and the Middle East, we kept the doors and windows shut while running the aircon.

The shower drain was slow; a couple of days later became very slow. As with the air conditioning, the front desk staff dutifully noted the problem. As with the air conditioning, nothing happened.

Doesn't this property have a trouble-call log? Does management ever bother to look at it? Do we have to cut short our explorations of the island so we can track management down and tell them what their front-line staff already knows?

There are two swimming pools. The smaller one, adjacent to an outdoor bar, was dirty (cloudy water, grit on the bottom of the pool). Signs told us that guests couldn't use the pool after 10pm. The signs were unnecessary. The pool was unusable after sunset since the lights were never turned on.

Most annoying was the transfer to the airport at the end of our stay. Thanks to Reservations Manager Kaiei, we were generously allowed a late (2pm) check-out. My wife and I wanted to go to to the airport at 2pm and make use of the airline's air-conditioned, wi-fi-equipped lounge, and maybe have a snack before our flight. No problem, the front-desk lady told us. Our transfer was arranged for 2pm and we'd be departing then. When we appeared at the front desk at 2pm we were told our 2pm transfer would be at 3:30. When I asked why, I was told that their driver was scheduled to show up at 3:30. I asked why we were promised a 2pm transfer; the response was a shrug. Then another lady told me that a 3:30 departure would get us to the airport in time for our flight, that we didn't need to leave any earlier. When I said we'd rather sit in the airline lounge for the extra 90 minutes as opposed to their lobby, I got another shrug. I asked to have the transfer fee removed from our bill and a taxi called instead. Too difficult, I was told, because taxis are thin on the ground on Sundays in the Cook Islands. I knew that, but I wanted to try anyway. I asked one of the ladies to phone a taxi operator and see if they could pick us up. They didn't bother. I wonder why. Were they afraid a taxi would be available and they'd lose their transfer fee?

On the positive side: Our room was very clean when we checked in, and it remained that way throughout our stay. With the exception of the pool noted above, the grounds were kept clean. Staff were polite, even when they were fobbing us off.

But for the price, I expect better. Management needs to be proactive. Management needs to check with their guests to find out if things like the air conditioning and plumbing faults reported to the front desk have been fixed; it's not the guests' job to track management down and repeat to them what's already been told (and told and told) to their front-line staff.

As the title of our review says, management needs to start managing.

Our recommendation: Read all of the recent reviews before you make a decision on whether or not to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Grundoon
ParadiseRarotonga, Manager at Sunset Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Not sure why this comment has been repeated but it has been responded to.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Sunset Resort has been rebuilt recently so most of the rooms are up to a fine standard.

It has a great location on the western side of the island and two pools, one with a bar. The beach is a lovely place to drink cocktails while watching the sun go down and the resturant on site is better than I expected.

I can't wait to go back and will definately be telling all my friends what a great place it was.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here with a large group, spread in different rooms across the resort.
We stayed in a 2bdrm pool front room, ground floor, back corner.
Cannot fault the lovely service here, had absolutely no issues during our trip.
Food was excellent, for a great price (I preferred the tropical breakfast here over the $114 dinner at The Pacific!). Rooms are very clean, modern and well kept (so are the grounds/pools in general). Great outdoor furniture outside room. Could not fault this resort at all.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family