“Fantastic value, friendly and clean”

Aremango Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 1 Avarua B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fantastic value, friendly and clean”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Absolutely loved it here, became our 'home away from home' very quickly. The place was super clean, Brendan came regularly to check on everyone and the housekeeper was friendly and helpful. The kitchen was very well equipped, and there's a great convenience store only 1 minute walk for your essentials.

The guests were also great, and our room was amazing - the private outdoor shower was worth every penny and the private hammock was a nice touch - the beds were comfortable, the rooms were very secure and very spacious.

Room Tip: Outdoor shower is a winner.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Luluzz

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Very nice guesthouse with reasonable prices. Tidy, clean, very well taken care of. Beautiful rooms with small garden units an outside shower.
Great location in Muri Beach (despite 60 m walk to beach. When it gets windy there, no wind at Aremango, perfect evenings)
Friendly and very helpful staff. Free snorkeling gear and push bikes (qualities vary!!!).
Great cooking facilities...
Highlight: Class A Barbecue Grill. Best way to cook the delicious fresh fish.
Thank you for a great time.

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank timsteini
Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a great place! You feel welcomed, comfortable and completely taken care of and safe. Close to a nice beach and some good restaurants. Try booking a room that has a private garden with outdoor shower, they are really lovely.

Great communal kitchen and good facilities all around. I would imagine that it would be a bit difficult to not communicate with the other guests if you want your peace, as everything is centered around the communal areas and there is always someone hanging out there. I didn't find this disturbing though.

There's all kinds of lovely fruit growing in the garden. Fruit of passion, papaya, avocado (even in the communal outdoor showers!), coconut etc etc.

On the downside: hammocks were so dirty/mouldy that you couldn't lay in them. The free bicycles were all broken.

Snorkling on Raro was a dissapointment in general, but that has nothing to do with Aremango of course.

I also stayed a few nights at Rarotonga Backpackers and paid much more than at Aremango and that place was so dirty and uncomfortable in comparison.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a private garden - they're lovely!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Sofia O
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2012

When I arrived for the first time, it felt like I was visiting old friends, as I felt very warmly welcomed. There was a sign on the front door with my name on it, welcoming me and directing me to the room I was assigned to. I settled into "island time" in no time. Meeting the other guests on the first night made it even more special, and Ross (the owner) who happened to be there, invited a few of the guests to the night market.

Kelly and Brendan are the hosts and I think they are lovely too. They create the peaceful environment of the guesthouse. My first room was near the TV room, but I was so in need of stress relief that I fell asleep the first night, only to find myself wake up at 11.30am the next morning. That's evidence of how relaxing it was there, as I am usually a light sleeper.

I was so grateful that the other guests were very respectful of each other. It creates a harmonious living environment, and that's what you want on a holiday, right....

My holiday was enriched not only by the comfortable living conditions, but especially by the friendliness, hospitality and diversity of the other guests.

I want to take my family/friends there, and show them what a great place Aremango is, and of course the beautiful and stunning Cook Islands.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper then you may want to request a room thats not next to the kitchen area.
Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank gogirlnyc
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Well first of all ill start with the positives, location is perfect, it's a 30 second walk to the beach, and it's in the main 'beachy area of Muri. It's extremely cheap so you cannot moan at value for money, being a Brit we just aren't close to this sort of paradise our side of the world, it has a shop next door and a few more a few mins walk the other way. The cleaner was efficient and very friendly and happy to chat to you about all sorts. We also had a superb time even when the weather wasn't perfect as the island has so much culture and excitement. The kayaks and snorkelling kit was just a few dollars a day to hire which provided me with days of fun so thankyou for making this affordable. They did have an in depth knowledge of the island and happy to share that with you.

You may think perfect? BUT as I've seen a few people mention and is very true the managers complaining about noise. On the 1st night we were there we went to bed well before midnight (not an unreasonable time whilst on holiday I don't think?) my partner woke up in the night needing the toilet (quite normal) she went came back and got into bed. The next day the older chap asked us to keep the noise down when closing the doors at night. The other guests we got friendly with also received the same comments. Their door closing was not even noticed by us and we were opposite their room. One night they all stayed up drinking we watched a film in the communiall tv room (nice feature I forgot to mention with some free DVDs) and the few other guests joined them, again it got to around 10pm and they were asked to keep the noise down and asked to think about going to bed. Their would have maybe been some reasoning to this if a guest had complained but everyone was up, it was purely the management. In such a stunning resort which is well maintained and feels safe it left a real spur taste in our mouth.

The final straw was our final night me and my partner (who were travelling) had a flight booked to L.A, this flight happened once a week so we played it safe and asked Kelly and brendon who had taken over from Kelly's parents to book us the minibus in plenty of time. We waited 30 mins before it was due to pick us up and before we knew it, it was 30mins late. They had gone out and with no emergency line we had no way of contacting them. The bus went round the island once an hour so we had missed this waiting for our booked coach. No sign and no Kelly or brendon. Obviously with this one weekly flight to L.A fast approaching we called a taxi who quoted us $60 for the 15 minute drive!! We booked it and just after that the bus came, early on its route, we jumped on and got to the airport with minutes to spare. Lucky Rarotonga runs on 'island time' and all were very relaxed checking us in as if we had hours to spare when really it was minutes.

Also whilst I think his name was Ross was happy to do little maintenance jobs which is brilliant, the cleanliness of the showers and toilets was sometimes secondary to this which to me should be the other way around. Don't picture run down blocked toilets though they aren't awful just seem to not get as much attention as the maintenance of the kayaks or roof.

The people are brilliant and real characters, a real reflection of the island which is as close to utopia as I've seen and I've seen a fair few countries. And whilst I don't want to be too harsh on the Aremango as it was good value and was quite charming the owners / managers Definately aren't cut out for hospitality! Quite strict although at times showed a softer and more sociable side but this was too infrequent and they let themselves down with some basics which naturally overrides any positive memories.

By all means give it a go BUT don't be surprised if you chat in the garden at 10pm with a glass of wine and told you're too loud and to go to bed. And get the bus early and don't rely on them booking the coach.

This is also backed up in lonely planet!

• Stayed October 2011
6 Thank Yers2012
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here for almost 2 weeks in Aug/Sep 2012. Was really good value for money especially compared to the prices of a lot of resorts. Loved the communal areas and eating meals etc with other guests. As a solo traveller it was great to chat with others and find out the different places to go and what to do. The guesthouse was always clean and tidy and staff were always helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Pauline C
Russell, New Zealand
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 weeks at the beginning of August. We stayed in a double room with private courtyard for most of the time but had to move for the last 3 days to a standard double room as our room had already been pre booked by another couple. Both equally as good as each other but worth the bit extra money for the courtyard with hammock and outside shower.
Kelly-Rose was excellent and the owner Ross happened to be there also doing some work around the place. Very helpful and friendly staff with clean rooms, and communal areas. The shared bathrooms and cooking areas are excellent for this value and could not complain. The large deck area is fantastic for eating meals, having a drink, or two, with other guests. Only a 1 minute walk to the beach, the bust stop right outside, close to a convenience store and restaurants, who could ask for more.
Great way to meet people and make new friends. We will definitely be going back again next year :-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KiwiCouple21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avarua
Muri Beach Club Hotel
Rumours Luxury Villas and Spa
Club Raro
Club Raro
#3 of 5 in Avarua

Been to Aremango Guesthouse? Share your experiences!