“Superb lunch and exquisite service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Estrecho

Estrecho
Ranked #3 of 935 Restaurants in Montevideo
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Cash Only, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Ciudad Vieja
Stockholm, Sweden
“Superb lunch and exquisite service”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Once you understand that this restaurant only opens for weekday lunch(12:00-16:00),you should save your appetite because the food is truly outstanding! My wife ordered the fish of the day and I opted for the chicken salad. Both were made with the freshest of ingredients right in front of your eyes since seating is at a long lunch counter. We also shared a delicious passion fruit flan. This was nicely paired with an Argentinian Pinot Gris. All of this for about 1000 pesos. Magnifique!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Rick Y

Biddeford Pool, Maine
“Terrific find”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We used Tripadvisor to find this highly rated restaurant and we were not disappointed.

It is a simple counter in a small space on the main street of Montevideo's Old Town area--so unobtrusive we walked past it three times before finding it. But keep looking and do.not let the outward appearance put you off.

We started with tomato guspacho, which may be the best I ever had--we thought for sure it was cream-based but it was not. One of the chefs, who had worked in the US for four years, said they use bread to give it a cream-like texture. It was terrific and is served every day.

I had the fresh fish of the day, which was caramelized in a cast iron skillet and very moist and flavorful. My brother had a filet mignon which he loved.

For desert, they had made, believe it or not, a pecan pie which our mother would be proud of. The owner came by and said he had picked up the recipe in Ireland, where it is a favorite, after I had told him it was very popular in the southeast United States. I have to say that was a most unexpected and delicious find.

The servers were extremely welcoming and the service very professional. They have a fixed price menu for about $15.

Be aware they only serve lunch. The chef said not enough people wander the Old Town area at night to justify remaining open for dinner.

I would not hesitate to go back and highly recommend a visit.

• Visited January 2014
Uruguay
“Parfait”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

As the name suggest it is narrow; but it is a beautiful place with a very warm ambience. The food is delicious and the presentation is beautiful. You can go with your friends, colleagues just about anyone and you will certainly have a memorable experience. I can not wait to revisit Estrecho. Thanks for the memories.

Montevideo, Uruguay
“Outstanding food”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Even though the place is tiny, the food is amazing and the staff is super friendly and nice.
Their menu is not so long but what they offer is outstanding, not only because it's well seasoned and delicious but also because of the way they present their dishes.
Something different in MVD for a chance. Really nice place.

• Visited November 2013
Bronx, New York
“Best lunch I had in Montevideo”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

What can I say that hasn't been said before. This gem in the old city in Montevideo serves only lunch. Its easy to miss as its very narrow. It's counter service only. I didn't bring cash so I had to run out to get some cash for the ATM. The place was packed for lunch, with business types packing this place for lunch. Everything is there to see behind the counter. Once I got seated I received the menu. Asked about the soup of the day, Tomato Gazpacho, and a Thai style fish soup. I chose the latter and wasn't disappointed. The broth was a creamy coconut style, with a little kick and soft fish chunks. I thoroughly enjoyed it and contemplated taking a sample back to my room. Once i cleaned up the soup, I had the salmon Baguette. The presentation was good, and the taste was great. The Baguette had avocado and Wasabi Mayo which was a good combination. All in all it was a delicious lunch. Service was excellent, as they made sure you were being serviced and all the courses came out on time. since they have a busy lunch they seem to keep everything moving along without sacrificing quality. You see your food being made in front of you so theres no mystery behind it. Just quality food and service. The price was reasonable for the quality and taste. Definitely make this a lunch date when you're in Montevideo, you won't regret it.

• Visited October 2013