“Fairly grim hotel”
Review of Hispano Hotel

Hispano Hotel
Ranked #81 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed here for one night. It's centrally located and to be honest, I'm struggling to think of any other redeming features.

Rooms could be doing with the kind of redecorating that can only be achieved by a bulldozer. Used the lift once and decided it was safer to stick to the stairs. We could only lock and unlock the room door from the inside by means of a masonic handshake type manouver, a speedy exit if required certainly wasn't going to happen.

We didn't even bother going for breakfast. It may have been awesome, but I have my suspicions the time was better spent in bed (trying not to touch any of the bedding.)

Plus or minus point (depending on your preferences) - there's a sex shop next door.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bilbodotcom

Reviewed June 11, 2012

The worst, most ugly or the ugliest.

It has horrible smell....mold molde ( mofo, bolor) mustiness

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I would suggest avoiding this beauty. Whilst the central location is good, the hotel was due a renovation about 25 years ago. We honestly could not tell if the rooms are cleaned, because it is so badly run down. The breakfast was quite poor too.

Only pluses would be free WiFi and filtered water.

Room Tip: Simple - avoid like hell!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank RonanMcE
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We found this place from tour guide book. We though it will be decent hotel since has make it into “paid” guide book.

We had the room 101, 1st floor, front room. So we get all the noises from the street (expected) and air-con noises which install right outside our room windows (unexpected).

Our room is poky and mouldy. You can see moulds gather on every corner of the room. Furniture is outdated and paint is fading. The bed sheet feel like haven’t been wash for weeks. We forced to fully dress to sleep (fear of bedbug). The pillows are so flat; feel like on it last legs. There is a working TV in the room, 14” old style black box installed on the ceiling.

Bathroom; there is standing shower, basin, toilet and water tank. If you want a hot shower, you need to turn on the shower half an hour before you really get into shower. And you cannot stay long in the shower, because the hot water will running out very soon. If you flush the toilet, you will hear water running from the tank for the next 10 to 15 mins.

We didn’t get any breakfast due to need to leave early on next morning 7am. The room cost USD$59 per night. I think is definitely not worth it. Maybe will be different experience on other room. But I definitely will NOT return to this hotel.

Location of the hotel is on centre Montevideo (main street). And it is next door to adult shop.

On the plus side, the staffs are very helpful and pleasant. They speak very good English.

Room Tip: avoid room 101
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ncl_matahari
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Hispano for 12 days in February 2009 and I got pretty satisfied. The hotel is a very modest one but honest in its proposal: If you want something fancy and sophisticated, go somewhere else. No porters, no restaurant no fanciness of any kind and the breakfast provided is just basic for you not to start a day on a empty stomach. Howerver it pays off for the cleanliness of the rooms, towels changed every day and room cleaned every day as well, clean carpeted floor, wonderful airconditoning and excelent hot shower. The staff is SUPER friendly, courteos and kind. All of them are very attentive to your needs and requests and will go out of their way to help you if you need. During the Carnival period, laundry service was not working (the hotel does not provide it, but kindly sends your dirty clothes to a nearby laundry and you pay upon receiving them back, packed and perfumed), so one of the hotel staff member had my clothes washed for a fraction of the price charged by the laundry, which was already very cheap (180 pesos, against 100 pesos). During the 12-day period I went to Buenos Aires and backed, so I could compare the hostel I stayed in Buenos Aires with the Hispano, and the difference was noticeable: (no tv, no airconditioning during daytime, no towels changing, no clean-smelling room, no new bar of soap and shampoo sachet a day and I had to wash my breakfast dishes, although I rate the argentinian hostel as fine and equally honest. Its proposal is a different one). Anyway I was relieved and happy when I was back to the Hispano from Argentina ( I was then reffering to Hispano as "home") I could enjoy it for 2 more days. If you are not that finicky about a hotel. I just wanted a decent room to stay the nights, and I ended up finding more than I expected to ( cable tv, a locker, a reasonably spacious room with 2 beds, a double and a single one, stay at the Hispano. I will be back there next year

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2007

A very good valued hotel in the centre of Montevideo. The staff are also nice with an excellent command of English. All rooms are clean and spacious with cable T.V. Breakfast is a pleasant buffet served from seven to ten in the morning. The hotel also organises tours of Montevideo and its surroundings. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Damian120
Reviewed January 1, 2007

This is a very simple budget place. I had room 232 which was silent, and nearly silent air conditioning was provided. This was a "superior" room which was supposedly bigger than a standard room and had air conditioning and a 21" color TV (according to the hotel web site). The room seemed small to me, and the TV was only 14" but had at least 70 cable channels. The bathroom had new tile, but the same old fixtures had been replaced after the tile work had been done. The mattresses are made of foam rubber, and the pillows are made of sponge. There were simple furnishings in the room. The service was excellent and friendly. Simple continental breakfast is included. Credit cards accepted. The hotel is near everything. It isn´t in a bad neighborhood, but it´s not the best either. It's not a bad place, but you get better value at some other budget places in town, namely Hotel California (no cable TV though), and Hotel Lancaster (small rooms right on a pretty plaza). Although the people who work there are very friendly, I would be reluctant to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2006