“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Las Vegas
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location, water front. Very clean, friendly and competent staff, excellent breakfast. One little problem, the laundry pricws are in US$ and it is not mentioned. We had a big surprise with the bill. Montevideo was a pleasant city to visit. It seems to be safe along the river.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AndresMuttoni, Director Comercial at Cala di Volpe Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Rayhaus547,
Thank you very much for your words.
We will consider your case.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Excellent English language skills made check in a breeze. Very friendly and helpful check in staff. Room was oerlooking the Rambla and River Plate - great view. Room was comfortable, clean and cosy. Housekeeping was very good. Breakfast was surprisingly good, which is not a strong point of South American hotels in general, with very attentive staff.

Location is great - nice mall and supermarket around the corner, the Rambla river front on your door step, which is great for watching Montevideo pass by. Some really nice restaurants within easy walking distance too. To get into the old town, you're on the main road so plenty of taxis can be flagged down. The rates are all clearly displayed in the cab and its pretty cheap and quick to get into town. All the taxi drivers I found knew exactly where the hotel was, so must be well known.

Overall, I much preferred staying in Punta Carretas at the Cala di Volpe rather than in the old town - it felt very safe, was clean and everyone was very friendly. Sure, the Sheraton might be THE PLACE to go, but this place is just round the corner, on the river front and MUCH better value.

As a note - I accidentally left three shirts in the room on check out. I emailed two days later saying I was passing through Montevideo in a few days and could I pick them up. I got a prompt response saying the shirts had been found and would be waiting for me at the hotel. The night porter, despite limited English was a star, finding my lost shirts at 9pm at night when I managed to drop by on my way home.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Stuart D
Dear Stuart D,
Thanks for your feedback.
Brazil
Reviewed December 17, 2013

A very good quality hotel, excellent breakfast and location. Walking distance from the shopping mall and to good restaurants. Great view! Reasonable price. The service in the front desk its good. II will stay again at Cala di Volpi in my next trip to Montevideo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear ABSMouawad,
Thank you very much for your words.
We wish you a very happy new year.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed December 15, 2013

located near one of the biggest shopping centers in montevideo city... on the rambla,it has unobstructed views of the river plate,the sea, as they call it... very professional staff, courteous and helpfull... rooms are modern and nice... has a bar for after-six downwind and chatting...breakfast is very good... estensive use for executive or business meetings... prices are allright, even in this new ¨very expensive montevideo city¨... uruguayan peso is very strong, and your dollars or euros won´t go too far these days... a pity...

Dear fernando a,
thank you very much for your words.
We wish you a very happy new year.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We enjoyed a pleasant stay at the Cala. Staff are very courteous, and at your service. We appreciate that. The hotel restaurant was very busy for breakfast mid November during the week. I would have liked a variation in the menu of the breakfast since I stayed a few days. The food for dinner was superb.
The facilities can compete with a good hotel in the USA (in the range mid to upper hotel).
The view on the 9th floor was fantastic.
There is a problem with parking outside the hotel if you are just being dropped off. I can imagine on a busy day it is rather impossible. Again, staff makes up for this, since they help you bring your luggage. Staff is the best part of this hotel.
A recommendation for the management: leave the restaurant open all the time. In many opportunities, the sign said: Close for cleaning. At least, have some water available in the lobby so you can help the newcomers feel welcome if you have to close the restaurant.
Overall it is a recommended place to stay.
I would recommend the hotel for location, staff and the lovely lobby.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the room is in, the more quiet. There was construction in the parking garage (m...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AndresMuttoni, Director Comercial at Cala di Volpe Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Clara1954,
thank you very much for your comment.
We appreciate it!
Kind Regards
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My first time to Uruguay, the room was very nice, the restaurant very good, the staff at the restaurant top notch! The hotel seems to be a classic in Montevideo, everybody knows it and it is reputable. Their fitness center falls below average, but you can borrow a bicycle to tour La Rambla, although the bikes are not new by any means they work ok, at least the one I got (but a little noisy). My problem was at check out: I checked out well in advance of my (flight) departure time thus I asked the receptionist to book a taxi for me for 1 hour later while I would drink a coffee at the restaurant, she told me that it was not necessary and that they would call the taxi when I was ready to leave, she said it is the only way taxis work in Uruguay. I relied on that and had my coffee. 1 hour later I came back to ask the receptionist again to call the cab for me, 15 minutes later she tells me she has not been able to locate a taxi for me but she will keep looking, 15 more minutes later (1/2 hour) she tells she has not been able to find a taxi and that the only option was to call a Remis (which is indeed a taxi for God sake!), but they would charge US$50 to the airport instead of the US$35 regular taxis charge (US$15 difference who cares!!!). I had no idea what a Remis was, but I told them that of course I would need the Remis or anything as I did not want to miss my flight!! She then told me it was going to take other 15 minutes for it to get to the hotel, I had no option so I asked her to get it ASAP. It did not take the Remis 15 minutes but 30 minutes to get to the hotel, this made me waist 1 hour!!! just because of the poor information I received at the reception!! Fortunately I had plenty of time to get to the airport and I did not miss my flight, but I do not like to be under stress and that is why I plan my time properly. I should have been told upfront of the Remis option! I should have been told up front that the taxis at certain times become difficult to get!!! (this I learned from themselves only after they told me about the Remis option!!). Other than that I had a pleasant stay, but this experience ruined my previous opinion of Cala Di Volpe. I would certainly stay here again but would know how to manage the situation. I would have given a 4 star rating otherwise.

Room Tip: Ocean view of course! awesome view from them! although worst case they could be a little noise becau...
1 Thank Leomex
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Cala di Volpe is a really good hotel with first class staff. The rooms are nice (I stayed there at two occasions) and all the facilities you would expect. The breakfast is pretty good and the coffee is in usual Uruguayan fashion: strong and best drunk as a corto. The hotel is facing the river which - no disrespect to the good people of Montevideo - is possibly not the prettiest aspect of the city. The foreshore is pretty dirty and the river itself green on a good day, brown on a windy day. Anyway, the hotel has some good restaurants in the area and a big, American style shopping mall (forgot the name) just around the corner.
All in all definitely recommended!

Room Tip: I always had roomes facing the river. On windy days that can create some wind noises.