“Great hotel, but pay attention to the checkout receipts”

Cala di Volpe Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am a regular visitor of the Cala di Volpe (once a year), and I always get my reservations from the organizers of the course we teach at the University. Although in this case I don't have the possibility to choose hotels in these visits to Montevideo I would definitely choose the Cala di Volpe if I visit the city on my own.

Having said that, I almost always (3 times in the last 4 years) had problems with restaurant/bar and/or other extras that were wrongly billed to my room. The problems get always cleared out at checkout, with the corresponding apology, but the constant repetition of these deserve mention.

Advice: when eating at the restaurant, having a drink at the bar or asking for service to your room, make sure you always sign the bills with your room number and your name/signature. You can then request to inspect these at checkout. By simply doing this I've always been able to clearly identify wrongly billed items (signed by someone else, different room, and in my last day, also with a date that preceded my check-in!)

Hope this helps both visitors and the hotel managers by raising awareness.

Room Tip: Corner suites (rooms numbered 102, 202, 302, in each floor) have large windows facing the sea/river...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank fernan_aguero

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed four nights while on a business/leisure visit. Location is on the beach front in an up-market area of Montevideo. The hotel standard was what I would expect of a good three-star not a four-star at home (Dublin). The rooms were clean and a good size but somewhat basic.

Only meal we had was breakfast and it was okay. (Whoever raved about the omelettes has never seen a well-made omelette - but this seems to be universal problem in South America hotels where they dole up a thin crepe-like base with cold filling). But reasonable choice of produce.

Despite this, I enjoyed the stay. The redeeming factors were:
- the staff who were very pleasant & friendly (like most Uruguayans) - and tried hard.
- the location by the sea rambla (esplanade)
- the bikes which are a great way to explore the city
- the MAGNIFICENT restaurants withing 5 minutes walk (see La Perdiz, La Cantina de Pueriito).

I would recommend staying there - but do not expect too much.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view cost extra but as we only slept there; we did not really 'miss' the v...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Confortable room, nice view, good service, I higly recommend this hotel. The neighborhood is also special, with nice streets to have a walk, a shopping mall nearby and right in front of to the beach. The restaurant is very good, a pleasant place to have a wine or a beer enjoying the sunset.

Room Tip: They say all rooms have a view to the "Rio de La Plata", our room had a great one.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tomzanete
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The executive suite more than suited me, my wife and adult daughter. Our first experience in this country was complemented by this hotel, bilingual staff, great/ spacious and clean rooms, hotel generally top star!! Views excellent, balcony to relax on, and close to mall of shops. Wi-fi very good.Thank you Cala di Volpe, ,

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel is very confortable, the installations are new and clean. We stayed at the corner suíte, great view of the river prata. Very good breakfast, the staff is very helpful. The hotel is about two blocks of the best shopping mall of the city and also two blocks of hertz rent a car and is not far from the historical center. A very good place to walk on the rambla or for jogging.

Room Tip: The hotel is in front of the rambla (many cars at night), I got a room at seven floor and the noise...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rodegheri
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The rooms were clean and modern. The restaurant was above average for a hotel restaurant. The staff was excellent--I parked in the garage for two nights before figuring out that there was a $20 charge. I told them that I wasn't aware, and that I was going to park my car on the street instead. They immediately removed the charges without hesitation, complaining, or elevating it to a manager's level. I arrived early (10AM) but they still had a room ready for me. A colleague checked out a day early, and they didn't make a big deal about it.

I know where I'm staying next time I'm in Montevideo!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here with family, and found it quite comfortable. Views were great. We were well treated by the staff, and enjoyed easy access to the shopping mall and being able to get around. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't so great, so couldn't walk along the Rambla.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family