“No Air-Conditioning, One Elevator Working....!”

Cala di Volpe Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed January 1, 2012

A large group of us converged on the Cala di Volpe, beginning on 20 December 2011. This was the 'designated' hotel for out-of-town guests for a large wedding in Montevideo, that I was invited to attend. There were about 40 in our group staying here, as best I could tell. The location of the hotel is perfect, just across from the water and fronting the Rambla M. Ghandi, a seafront motorway. The lobby restaurant was perfectly nice, with an ample breakfast buffet included in the price (most breakfasts are included in South America) of a room. And, the rooms were nice. Nothing fancy (as implied in "Boutique hotel"!) nor luxurious, just simply comfortable. The pillows, as in other Southern Hemisphere hotels were lumpy and not that comfortable. Only the more expensive rooms have full-on sea views.

The front desk and staff in general were very nice, most spoke rudimentary or better English and were most helpful with regard to taxis, special services, etc.

O.K., now that I've recounted the positive things about this hotel, all of us did NOT have a good experience here. Why? The air conditioner was not working when most of us checked in and despite the hotel's concerted efforts, after 5 days, the air conditioned was still NOT working! This outtage occurred during the height of summer (Dec-Feb is summer, here) and it was hot and muggy, and all of us had to get dressed up for the various parties, rehearsal dinners and the wedding itself, in stifling heat!! Not fun, nor pretty!

I obtained only a 10% discount on my room rate, when I threatened to move to the Sheraton around the corner. (And I almost did, but wanted to stay with my friends and family.) I think they also gave me a free drink and dinner entree, for my inconvenience. Frankly, I just wanted the bloody air-conditioner to work. Sleeping with the window wide-open all night was crazy noisy, windy and wild.

So, just be sure the air-conditioner is working if you plan on staying at the Cala di Volpe. Other than our bad luck re the A/C, this hotel is well-located for the beach, shopping at Punta Carretas Mall, just one block away, and a 30 minute bus trip, via # 121 to the Ciudad Viejo. There are some good seafood restaurants along the sea front, and other good restaurants nearby, as well. A good location for those not wanting to be in the center of Montevideo.

Room Tip: High floors facing the Rambla Ghandi have sea views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank David49b
Write a ReviewReviews (1,561)

Reviewed December 23, 2011

In front of la rambla, a few blocks from downtown, this is an outstanding option in Montevideo. The room (I recomend de "corner" one") is beautiful, you feel like being in a boat. Good breakfast, very good in overall attention.

Room Tip: Corner suites, higher floors, have a great view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The hotel is very good, service is competent, breakfast is fantastic, the suite near the corner is better and very comfortable, location is the best option to escape from downtown and discover other things from Montevideo. Me and my wife have been there and we don´t have problems.

Room Tip: Corner suites have a better view
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 2 1/2 weeks. Location is on the river in the nicest part of town. Perfect really. The main shopping center and lots of great restaurants are within blocks. The rooms are nice size and are kept very clean as is the whole hotel. Breakfast buffet is large with all kinds of food. But the best part really is the staff. At first they were sort of stand off-ish (Sort of neutral. Definitely not unfriendly.) but the longer we stayed there the friendlier everyone became. I think it's a comfortability factor and a bit of language. We were helped getting directions, with language help and customs there, ordering bus cards, inquiring about golf rates and rentals, printing pdf's, finding apartments for a longer rental there, just long talks about things in Montevideo and Uruguay and so on. Even the GM of the hotel offered to rent us an apartment that he had if we couldn't find something. The night person at the desk even wrote us a very nice personal note about how much he enjoyed having us there. It was definitely not a form letter. That's never happened to us anywhere and we travel a lot. When we left it truly felt like we were leaving home and friends a bit. Odd for a hotel. My wife stopped in about a month later on one of her morning runs up the rambla. Almost the whole staff made a point of coming over to talk and see what we were up to now.

Room Tip: wifi in your room will work better if you're on a low floor as it bleeds up from the lobby.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Good quality, excellent breakfast and location. Walking distance from the shopping mall and to good restaurants. Reasonable price. The service in the front desk could be better, but I will stay again at Cala di Volpi in my next trip to Montevideo.

Room Tip: Try to get one in front of the sea. May be a bit more expensive, but nice view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Always interesting to read other people's reviews and they seem to reveal a mixed bag of experiences. Our experience over 4 days at Cala Di Volpe was fantastic.

Firstly, the location is excellent. There really is no need to stay in the centre of Montevideo. The hotel is located a few kms out of the centre of the city. We walked in one day along the magnificent rambla and that took around an hour along the edge of the water. Interesting to walk past some other popular 'chain' hotels which looked drab and run down, where the Cala Di Volpe was modern and clean.

Walking along the rambla in the other direction takes you quickly to a lovely safe beach called Playa Pocitos. A 30 minute stroll away from the beach will take you to the zoo and really nice parklands. Walking just a couple of blocks in from the beach reveals the hotel is in a very smart area and it is very safe to walk around. The hotel also has easy access to a large shopping centre just a couple of blocks away.

We found the service at the hotel to be exactly what we needed, friendly, responsive and very helpful not matter what we asked. We had a top floor room with a fantastic balcony and excellent views. If you stay on a lower floor, I think you would be best to get a room looking towards the water. Any of the 3 top floor rooms offer great views and we had plenty of water views and views of the people strolling the rambla, and also some nice views back to Montevideo central.

I can't comment on dinner at the hotel. There were just too many fantastic seafood restaurants on the water to try in our short stay. We found breakfast to be very good, and again, the service at breakfast was outstanding.

I was extremely pleased with the value for money our top floor suite provided. I'm surprised to see this hotel only rating around number 20 of the hotels in Montevideo at the time I write this. This hotel helped make our stay in Uruguay something special, particularly if you only have time for a short romantic stay in wonderful Montevideo.

For me Montevideo felt a little like a latin american version of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia, without the touristy feel of the Gold Coast. A nice, safe, smaller city with everybody making use of the outdoors and water. The rambla has plenty of room for cyclists and walkers, and is wonderfully full of locals enjoying the warmer evenings.

I would return to Montevideo in a flash and I would stay in this hotel everytime.

Room Tip: Any of the three rooms on the top floor are fantastic with very large terrace. Catch the ferry direc...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1800hammer
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is one of the best hotels in Montevideo, not just in its price range, but on an overall basis too. The best part is the location, and i dont think there is any other hotel in the city that is so close to the shore (rambla). Moreover, it is in an excellent neighborhood, maximum 15 min cab ride from most places you want to visit. It is a boutique hotel,not large, but has almost everything that you would look for (except a pool or gardens to lounge in). The service is very good and friendly, with most in the lobby speaking good English. However, the houskeeping ladies know zero English and that can be a problem. The restaurant has a limited menu but the food is very good with excellent service, even on rush days when it is packed. They are always helpful with tips and to assist you with calling cabs etc. The views from the room are awesome, and it cant get any better than this (even the Sheraton is about 100 meters from the rambla, whereas this hotel is about 10 meters away). The only thing to watch out for is your bill when you check-out. I dont know if this is a common occurrence but they added a Donation charge of about $7 on my bill without asking me. Its a 'voluntary' amount that goes to some charity. Then they charged me $7 for laundry whereas the amount was $3. Lastly, they added a Service Charge of $21 for tips on the food that i ate in the hotel (room service as well as in the restuarant). This was despite my leaving some fairly generous tips on the individual bills whenever i ate! Thier bill clearly says 'no service' i.e. tips not included. I got all 3 reversed but was very lucky - i got a dictionary and translated the line items one night before (they are all in Spanish and you cant figure out what each item is). If i had seen these 5 minutes before taking my cab to the airport, 90% chance that i would have been in too much of a hurry to bother about $40 after spending 7 nights. Outside of this rather unsavoury experience, the hotel was great and i would go back here on my next trip to Uruguay. Dont ask them for a cab drop to the airport - the cost of a regular cab is 30% that of the ones that they woudl call.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms - the views are best from here. they say that they charge extra for these rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business