“Faultless Perfection”

Cala di Volpe Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Always interesting to read other people's reviews and they seem to reveal a mixed bag of experiences. Our experience over 4 days at Cala Di Volpe was fantastic.

Firstly, the location is excellent. There really is no need to stay in the centre of Montevideo. The hotel is located a few kms out of the centre of the city. We walked in one day along the magnificent rambla and that took around an hour along the edge of the water. Interesting to walk past some other popular 'chain' hotels which looked drab and run down, where the Cala Di Volpe was modern and clean.

Walking along the rambla in the other direction takes you quickly to a lovely safe beach called Playa Pocitos. A 30 minute stroll away from the beach will take you to the zoo and really nice parklands. Walking just a couple of blocks in from the beach reveals the hotel is in a very smart area and it is very safe to walk around. The hotel also has easy access to a large shopping centre just a couple of blocks away.

We found the service at the hotel to be exactly what we needed, friendly, responsive and very helpful not matter what we asked. We had a top floor room with a fantastic balcony and excellent views. If you stay on a lower floor, I think you would be best to get a room looking towards the water. Any of the 3 top floor rooms offer great views and we had plenty of water views and views of the people strolling the rambla, and also some nice views back to Montevideo central.

I can't comment on dinner at the hotel. There were just too many fantastic seafood restaurants on the water to try in our short stay. We found breakfast to be very good, and again, the service at breakfast was outstanding.

I was extremely pleased with the value for money our top floor suite provided. I'm surprised to see this hotel only rating around number 20 of the hotels in Montevideo at the time I write this. This hotel helped make our stay in Uruguay something special, particularly if you only have time for a short romantic stay in wonderful Montevideo.

For me Montevideo felt a little like a latin american version of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia, without the touristy feel of the Gold Coast. A nice, safe, smaller city with everybody making use of the outdoors and water. The rambla has plenty of room for cyclists and walkers, and is wonderfully full of locals enjoying the warmer evenings.

I would return to Montevideo in a flash and I would stay in this hotel everytime.

Room Tip: Any of the three rooms on the top floor are fantastic with very large terrace. Catch the ferry direc...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1800hammer
There are newer reviews for Cala di Volpe Boutique Hotel

Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is one of the best hotels in Montevideo, not just in its price range, but on an overall basis too. The best part is the location, and i dont think there is any other hotel in the city that is so close to the shore (rambla). Moreover, it is in an excellent neighborhood, maximum 15 min cab ride from most places you want to visit. It is a boutique hotel,not large, but has almost everything that you would look for (except a pool or gardens to lounge in). The service is very good and friendly, with most in the lobby speaking good English. However, the houskeeping ladies know zero English and that can be a problem. The restaurant has a limited menu but the food is very good with excellent service, even on rush days when it is packed. They are always helpful with tips and to assist you with calling cabs etc. The views from the room are awesome, and it cant get any better than this (even the Sheraton is about 100 meters from the rambla, whereas this hotel is about 10 meters away). The only thing to watch out for is your bill when you check-out. I dont know if this is a common occurrence but they added a Donation charge of about $7 on my bill without asking me. Its a 'voluntary' amount that goes to some charity. Then they charged me $7 for laundry whereas the amount was $3. Lastly, they added a Service Charge of $21 for tips on the food that i ate in the hotel (room service as well as in the restuarant). This was despite my leaving some fairly generous tips on the individual bills whenever i ate! Thier bill clearly says 'no service' i.e. tips not included. I got all 3 reversed but was very lucky - i got a dictionary and translated the line items one night before (they are all in Spanish and you cant figure out what each item is). If i had seen these 5 minutes before taking my cab to the airport, 90% chance that i would have been in too much of a hurry to bother about $40 after spending 7 nights. Outside of this rather unsavoury experience, the hotel was great and i would go back here on my next trip to Uruguay. Dont ask them for a cab drop to the airport - the cost of a regular cab is 30% that of the ones that they woudl call.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms - the views are best from here. they say that they charge extra for these rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sameer2011
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The hotel is clean, nice staff, good location, average good rooms, exactely as expected.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed for three nights and really enjoyed it. We were originally booked at a trendy downtown hotel but chose to leave because the room was tiny and very minimalistic. We also reevaulated our desire to be in the center of town. We are so glad we did. We ended up staying in a large suite on the top floor of the hotel. The suite was very large with an enormous balcony. Everything was clean and comfortable. It was also extremely quiet. I also liked the neighborhood. It was safe and very easy to walk around at night. We enjoyed being two blocks from a major shopping mall and cinema. It's an easy taxi ride to downtown and the main attractions.

The only reason I'm giving this a four and not a five is because of some of the staff at the front desk. While the housekeepers, bellhops, and waiters were all extremely professional and helpful, some of the front desk staff was rude. To be fair, they seemed constantly stressed and frantic, so I don't think it was laziness. It was just nearly impossible to receive service from the front desk. I think they could have been more responsive and kind.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I like the rooms but the eating area is small and crowded. The service is okay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We loved the location in Punta Carretas and would recommend staying in this neighborhood if you're not looking to stay downtown. That being said, the service at this hotel was mixed (some great, but the bar/breakfast staff was not overly helpful). We had hopes of planning a day trip outside of Montevideo, but got little assistance from the staff. Overall, we were luke warm on the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Our room was large, but old fashioned, bad illumination, slow wi fi.
Staff was not friendly, the breakfast is good but the place small and crouded, and we had to wait in line.Even though we asked for a garage as we travelled by car, nobody told us there were just four places. The location is great, the breakfast is good, everything else disapointing.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Lucinha2011
JoaquinPagano, Director of Sales at Cala di Volpe Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear guest,
We really value your comment. I am sorry your image of the Hotel was not what you expected. The Hotel had invested a lot on improvements and I can assure you it looks different today. All rooms have been renovated as well as all carpets along the facilities. We would love to receive you again and observe all these changes by yourself. Feel free to contact me at any time for special rates in the future.
Joaquin Pagano