“You get what you pay for...”
Review of Hotel Tres Cruces

Hotel Tres Cruces
Ranked #61 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I have stayed at the Hotel Tres Cruces on severla trips and several occasions. So why all the varying reviews on TA about this place? It all depends on what you are looking for and expecting.

First off, the place is "cheap", and that usually does NOT mean luxury. It equates mor eto "dorm room" in the US. And that is what the rooms look like, small dorm room size with typically two beds, a dresser and TV, a chair and a small table. the walls will not be wallpapered or freshly painted, and will probably show a yer or two worth of scuffs from peoples luggage on them. The beds are comfortabel though, and that is really what matters most.

The bathrooms are a good size, but again, no luxury here. Simple tile, LOTS of hot water and good pressure. Clear windows outside with no shades on them may bother you if you are modest. Or shower at night with the lights off I guess.

The hotel is located across from the women's prison (I kid you not) which looks like an old church (because it is). Nothing ever happens there, so this should not concern you, but it is kind of "funky" in that regard. The bus station is about 1.5 city blocks away, thus if yo are a bus traveller this is VERY convenient. However do not think you can just get a room with no reservation, as this place is often completely booked up. Probably due to that same bus station proximity.

The continental breakfast is small, simple, but edible. I have had better, and I have had worse. this is maybe a bit below avge.

Staff is errtic. Some are VERY nice, some are difficult. the maids are great, most of the front desk is fine, one or two are a bit forward. They are efficiant, and it is easy to get in and out here.

IN SUMMARY: When I am in MVD alone, this is my FIRST CHOICE. I usually have a car, it is cheap, and I am usually not spending time in the hotel except to sleep and shower. Inthat respect, this place is absolutely perfect. Would I take my family to stay here? Not really. there are much nicer places to stay for not too much more money. This is my MVD "crash pad" when alone.

If you are not too picky, or on a budget, or travelling by bus, this is the place for you. If you are looking for large well appointed rooms, luxury, a nice restaurant, things to do in the 'hood, this is definitely not the place.

For value I don;t think you csan do better than this hotel. Just do not net your sights too high and you will be fine. think "dorm room" all the way.

I started this review by saying I have stayed her many times, and I will stay here again. I like it for what it is, simple and cheap. But if I stay with others, I go to the Ermitage.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank drumsnbass

Reviewed February 1, 2011

We had already stayed at this hotel before, when we visit Uruguay on the winter of 2010.
This time we stayed three nights and were lucky to stay in a room (604) better than the last. Located on a high floor and with a pretty good view of the city and the Rio de la Plata.
The bathroom was of good size and seemed be refurbished a short time ago. Channels in English and Portuguese on TV and at the bedside a clock radio. Good air conditioning.
At the reception 01 computer connected to internet and free wi fi in the room.
The breakfast is weak with few options. Not even the media luna sandwich (Uruguayan famous sandwich) had good flavor.
The strong point is in the hotel location near the bus terminal and easy access to the rest of the city and also to/from Carrasco Airport. The taxi to the old town costs around $ 6 and takes about 15 minutes.
Good option for two nights , with cost of US$ 60.00 per night.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Leo Zeno V
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Great Price but not worth the problems ! The service was terrible from the start, the service at front desk, the attitude and bad character awful. We were a entire family booking 5 rooms, imagine, and they were rude and not very educated when it came to customer service. We were there for a wedding, and visiting Uruguay after 10 years of being away. None of our messages were past on, and family members that came to the hotel to ask for us were made to wait out side the hotel! Very rude, very rude service! The lady's of the front desk were great, but the front desk male attendant had no customer service what so ever. I would prefer to pay a few dollars more and stay some were they know how to treat there valued customers!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010
9  Thank Ann19781998
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We spend a weekend in this hotel and we like it. It is next door to the bus station and you can get from the Carrasco International Airport to the hotel by bus (US 1.25).Just step down at Tres Cruces Bus Terminal and walk 100 meters.Also it is very easy to park around the hotel .
Very special staff when we arrive . They provide a lot of information about places to eat and also what to do on next day (Sunday).
Free map at reception and also two computers to use (free) .
Good breakfast.
The room was big enogh and with international cable services (CNN, Record , ESPN).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leo Zeno V
Reviewed March 16, 2010

i stayed for 4 days it was cheap bud no good at all , no service , ugly room and ugly bathroom no good location either the only nice thing is the staff ..i was born in montevideo and i live in new york i travel a lot this was the poorest hotel i ever stayed.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Artigasboy
Reviewed October 13, 2009

It's a relaxed area, ideal if you have a car. Parking is for free and from there you can access everywhere quite fast. The rooms aren't nice and the carpet is stained all over. However it has an excellent value for money.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ValterNF
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I traveled with my partner and a 2yr old child as we were traveling to different parts of Urugauy it was a good location as it was so close to the bus depot it only took us 30 mins to walk down to the old city and 20mins to the pocitos beach for us this was good we are returnig this year with three children and we will stay there again

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business