See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 17, 2016 via mobile

Small room, no private bathroom, no refrigerator, small bed, not so friendly reception, of 4 people that we've encountered during this day we stayed, only one of them had a friendly face. Over all, the window in the room we were staying couldn't close. Considering that in the same street there's another hotel that offers way more for the same price, I wouldn't even recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2016

Simple hotel with no bells or whistles but the hotel staff are very friendly and very helpful. Room was nothing special but was pleasant to stay in. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very good. Only problems were the lighting in the bathroom is rather difficult for shaving so that needs to be looked at. Also the pillows are a bit thin and soft. Water heating up was a bit on the slow side but I think that is is just a South American thing.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2015

I stayed here only for one night en route up the coast.

Checkin was quick and efficient as was the room service which was surprisingly affordable.

The room itself was clean and and very quiet as it was not facing the street.

Overall really OK for the price, will stay here again when going back to Montevideo.

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2015 via mobile

Having stayed here, I re-read the previous review titled "Excellent Service" and realised that it referred to the Radisson Hotel. My experience was the opposite. I stayed here for two nights and was on the point of moving out after the first night, such was the rudeness of the receptionist and the unfriendliness of the other staff. I would happily have forfeited the cost of second night. My double, en-suite room had no window. There was no shower tray - just a drain in the floor so there was water everywhere. Breakfast was very basic, cold coffee on the second day. No plates, one eats breakfast off the glass table top - very odd. The hotel is old and needs refurbishment. Access is up a long flight of stairs from the entrance on the street. It would not suit people of reduced mobility. This was not a cheap stay - admittedly, as a single occupant of a double room, I was actually paying for two. The location is good - close to the centre but the area is grubby with a man rummaging in a dumpster around the corner. In terms of the overall experience, this was probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2015

Spent three nights in a double room with shared bathroom at Hotel Uruguay. Although it is quite old-fashioned as a lot of other reviews have noted, it is really clean. Bed linen, towels and especially the shared bathroom and shower facilities are very clean. Hot water was available at all times which was nice as it got quite chilly there in late March. Comfort wise, bed is just about ok for a few nights, fine if you are just spending one night. Staff were really friendly and polite at all times, they don't speak English but if you have a few words of Spanish you will be fine. The included breakfast was standard for that part of South America, sweet pastries, okish coffee and toast. Wifi was really strong at all times. The biggest let-down for me, which is no fault of the hotel's, was the really, really loud street noise. The traffic sounded as if it was actually in the room, and there was pretty loud music and shouting into the early hours coming from a club or bar close to the hotel. I didn't sleep much for the three nights I was there, although I am a light sleeper. If you are staying here I would insist on an internal room and not one facing the street if you have trouble sleeping. Location is good, easy walking distance to the historical centre and main thoroughfare, though slightly out of the way and a little isolated feeling.

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple