“Stay Somewhere Else!”

Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Somewhere Warm
“Stay Somewhere Else!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I really can't believe that the reviews I read about this hotel were written by people who actually stayed here! The "pillow top bed" advertised on Expedia, isn't here. The "balcony", isn't here. The "laptop-compatible safe" is too small for my laptop. The SUITE I booked doesn't even have a clock, tissues, or a pen. The bathtub plug has nothing to grab to pull it out. At breakfast, the tables were re-set after someone ate there, but the table wasn't wiped first, so there were crumbs on all but one table. There were dirty glasses in the stack of "clean" glasses next to the yogurt drink. It IS in a terrible part of town. When the taxi driver dropped me off, he wouldn't leave the car to bring my bags to the hotel door, and he told me three times (to make sure I understood) to BE VERY CAREFUL. I couldn't even count how many car alarms I heard go off in the next two hours while I unpacked and rested. It is neither for business travelers (no desk) and nowhere to put a laptop where a plug won't need to be in the air since the table does not have a plug, nor for vacationers.... I could go on and on.
Yes, it is close to the Rambla, but since the Rambla covers most of the coast of Uruguay, that's not unusual.
The only redeeming thing, I had an incredible massage there. I don't know the name of the woman, but she worked out knots I didn't know I had. And, the wifi is consistent.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view. But don't expect a balcony. On Expedia it says all rooms have...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mirthfullady
leonardo l, Gerente at AXSUR Design Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment´s.

We regret that your perception of the Hotel is unsatisfactory, unfortunately you never communicated us about your concerns, otherwise we would have the chance to resolve them satisfactorily, surely most of them. It's a shame you didn’t do it.

We inform you that the hotel only opened a year ago, surely there will be details to improve. However be appreciated that both Trip Advisor, as Booking, Expedia, we are qualified in most cases, as a Hotel with very good to excellent qualifications.

In relation to your perception of insecurity, it is very personal, we cannot do anything about it.
Like any capital city of a country, you're bound to be careful on the street, however, according to several international measurements, Uruguay is the safest country in Latin America.

Do not hesitate to contact us for further information.

Federico Gualtieri
Gerente Comercial

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

An excellent choice ! It is clean, comfortable and well-designed! Well-located for both, business or pleasure trip. Nice atmosphere, buena onda!!!!We recommend this hotel. Every detail is taken into account. It will not disappoint you!

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and have a nice view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed for one night with my girlfriend. Nice, Clean, Simple, Good Location, Good Breakfast and Staff helpfull and attentive. Good choice for a place close to the old city. Will recomend this hotel. Easy access to The Ramblas for walking along the river.

Room Tip: No pool no gym, got the ramblas to walk, great for exercise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Viviana L
Medellín, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed there just one night after being in Colonia (small romantic town north of Montevideo) and just wanting to get a glance of the city. I chose it based on people's reviews and believe me... not disappointed at all! As usual, I'll write the PRO's and CON's to make it easier for readers to understand:

The good stuff:
- Location! Specially if u want to see the historical sites downtown. By the way, it's not dangerous to walk either at night or during the day. I did both of them and no problem at all!
- Value: unbeatable!
- Rooms and Bathrooms are very good! I asked for a higher room with river view and was able to get it. Rooms are spacious and they have all the necessary things. Nice bathrooms as well.
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Very nice breakfast, delicious and plenty
- Clean and tidy

To be improved:
- Maybe having a larger dining room could be more comfortable for breakfast time, since the tables are set a bit too close to each other, but I thought it wasn't a big deal.
- Also having king size beds. A bigger size queen size for one night is ok but for a longer stay a king size would eventually be better.

Would always go back!

Room Tip: Higher floor with river view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColombiaJuanSe
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We started our stay at the Sheraton and ended it at Auxsur and could not have been happier. We got the Dandy room, water view and king size bed. The room is not like the classic cookie cutter room. It is contemporary and well appointed. (It could use more storage space but it did not impact us negatively.). It is truly a business place, though we were on pleasure, as it had an abundance of outlets, most of which did not require a transformer. That is a big plus since we travel with two iPhones, two iPads and a Blackberry and not having to fight for a plug is a big plus. The bathroom is a nice size with lots of counter space, a big plus. The breakfast is not grand but all you need and would expect in Montevideo.

We go every year for a week or more and we will definitely be going back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
leonardo l, Gerente at AXSUR Design Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel, they give us the strength to continue working with the quality that our guests deserve.

We will be glad to receive you again on your next visit to Montevideo.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

My stay at the Axsur was pleasant. They offered a good location with views of the water from the upper floors, plus breakfast in the morning. It was an easy walk from the Buquebus ferry terminal and was located just off the Sarandi pedestrian street through the old town of Montevideo. The room was clean, nice, spacious, and had a great bathroom facility with it.

Room Tip: Higher floors have water views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
leonardo l, Gerente at AXSUR Design Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Mr. Jason,

Thank you very much for your comments about your stay with us.
We will be pleased to receive you again, and make your stay much better than the other.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I can't imagine a better hotel in Montevideo. It's one block to the best lunch place (Estrecho), 2 minute walk to Teatro Solis and Plaza Independencia and you can see the Rambla/prado from the clean restaurant where we enjoyed some of the best hotel breakfasts of our lives: fresh quiche, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, sweet pastries, etc. The staff helped us book a bus on one of the worst travel days of the year and did not hesitate to grant a late check out. The room itself is spacious and comfortable and the cleaning staff even organized our bags for us.

Overall, a fantastic experience and a top choice in Montevideo.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
leonardo l, Manager at AXSUR Design Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear guest,

We hope to see you soon again.