“Super friendly staff in well-designed hostel building”
Review of Dolce Vita Hostel

Dolce Vita Hostel
Connecticut
“Super friendly staff in well-designed hostel building”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Positives : Easy check-in process with lovely young girl who spoke excellent English. HUGE airy dorms -- lots of space, very clean. Big open plan, high ceilings. SUPER friendly and helpful staff. I had an entire dorm to myself -- the hostel was pretty much empty, though the HI hostel I'd tried to book into was full. That seemed a bit odd... nice to have a room to myself though! Awesome downstairs common area -- TV, lounge, pool table etc. Towel rental is only 20 pesos (compared to 40 at another hostel I stayed at the week before). Great hot showers.

Negatives : I had some concerns over security as the room I stayed in was right next to the front door (which always seemed to be open), and before you reach reception. There's no lock on any of the dorm rooms. But I didn't have any problems... there always seemed to be someone from the hostel outside the main door. There are lockers under the beds in each room which is great (remember to bring your own padlock!), but they're too shallow to put anything in, let alone a bag of any sort. Unfortunately, I didn't have the best sleep whilst there as a group of people were up partying til about 2am -- my room was furthest from the common areas, so I wouldn't have liked being in the closer rooms. Interestingly, the street outside was very quiet all night!

Overall : I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights in the girls dorm. Room was good and cozy. They separate men and women's washroom which is nice (2 toilets and 2 showers for the girls. Good enough.)
The hostel is clean. The staff is SUPER nice. There is a kitchen to cook and tables to eat. Lots of common hang out areas and a really chill roof top to tan and hang wet clothes.
Location is great- walking distance to anything cool, really.
When I stayed there were mostly Brazilians and Chileans. Nice to get a crowd from South America instead of the typical back packer crowd everywhere else... (but there were some of us as well lol.)
It can get loud at night if they have a party. But, that's any hostel.
Wifi is great.

Only suggestion: fix the door knob on the girl's washroom door! Kept getting my finger stuck in the door when I would open it from the outside to enter the washroom! OUCH!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I came to Montevideo after visiting Iguazu, Buenos Aires and Colonia.
Sadly, it was the worst hostel we stayed in. The staff was very nice and helpful, and there was a very good vibe (they even organized a nice party), but I think rooms could be better. There is only 1 shower and 2 waters for all the men, and all the rooms are around the kitchen and main table - so if somebody has breakfast at 7 00, you will wake up easily (as happened to us). Our room was the only private one, and although it was comfortable enough, it did not have simple things such as a trash-bin. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. I would not go back to this one.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
monevideo, uruguay
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I spent three great weeks at the Dolce Vita on leaving Montevideo Uruguay after leaving my home of 7 years. It is a great place for tourists, employees who are working short term in Montevideo. It is family friendly, couple friendly, single friendly, etc.

I love the neighborhood on the border of Palermo and the Center of Mvd. It is close to everything, including the nice neighborhoods with parks, restaurants, etc of Parque Rodo, Pocitos, etc. Montevideo is one of the safest cities in South America.

The owner and staff are great, multilingual. They let you know where to go, where to eat and they even helped me pack some art works I was taking with me upon leaving the country.
There is plenty to see and do for a short stay in Montevideo.
Breakfast is simple but great. Great kitchen privileges. Large comfortable areas with pool table and TV.
a
Overall one of the best hostels i've been to.

Room Tip: all of the rooms are comfortable and roomy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at the Dolce Vita for longer than expected back in March, and I loved it there. For me, beyond the beautiful setting of a spacious and light colonial house, affordable prices, comfortable beds and the perfect location in the Palermo neighbourhood, it was the people who made it special. The guys who run it are super friendly and relaxed, they genuinely want you to feel at home and make the most of your time in Montevideo. Everyday, they write up all the cultural/music/event options for that day/evening on a board in the reception, so you know there will always be something to go to somewhere. They have very good taste in music and bars so you can follow their advice! If you want to hang out with them you can, if you want to do your own thing, you can do that too. They don't over-do it, but they're always there if you need them.
Anyway, that's it from me. I would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The stuff was always ready to help and ready for Anything we asked. We stayed there a few extra days and they even have us a brake since was not planed. We have some issues with visas and more an they ware always always ready to extend a hand. It was truly one of the best experiences in Uruguay. We felt at home the whole time and the value was AMAZING!!! Must use when traveling to Uruguay - I give them 10 out of 10

• Stayed June 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Located in a nice neighborhood of Montevideo, I found the Dolce Vita Hostel a good and convenient place to stay. It's situated in a good distance from both Ciudad Vieja and the beach, Saturday there's a farmer's market round the corner and the Sunday flea market also is within walking distance. The dorms are spacious, and the comfy bunk beds have built-in lockers. If it's full it could probably do with more showers, but since we stayed there in low-season that never was a problem for us. Despite having a lot of shared space, in my opinion it lacks a proper common area for socializing. Although as far as I know this is now being remidied by making more use of the rooftop, which is a rather cool spot to hang out on a warm evening, The staff is super friendly and there's lots of information on things to see and do in Montevideo. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple