“Not as good as made out by other reviews”

Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel
Ranked #25 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I dont know if it is because i have been spoilt by the good quality of hotels in the region or not but for me this wasa little dissappointing. Set downtown its a good location, on independance square. The room and check in were okay - the room very dry indeed and no way of opening a window. All rather average really. The breakfast was possibly the worst - tried to even make it nice by ordering 2 breakfasts in bed for the final morning only for them to only take one of the requesting forms and deliever just one, and then inform that it would be 40 minutes to wait for the second! Hardly romantic! Will be back in Montevideo and will try the Sheraton instead

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed June 26, 2009

Traveled to Uruguay to check out property and ended up checking out everything else. From the moment we arrived in Montevideo we were treated with the utmost respect. The Radisson was so comfortable. The room was very clean and the hotel had many amenities including it's location. They had a Tango Show on 2 of the nights that we stayed, which was spectacular. All of the food in Uruguay was very European,including most of the residents. People spoke Spanish but with a lovely Italian accent. My Spanish is poor but I know if I was able to stay longer the people love to help you perfect it not like other Latin Amercian countries where they only say "No Comprende". Our concierge was Roxanna and she was beyond helpful, with our stays in other parts of the country down to where we should eat at other restaurants other than the hotel. Everyone at the check-in desk was very helpful and kind. I can't remember names except for Celcilia who was so pleasant and eager to please. This is truly a beautiful country with great weather and allot of adventure to offer. Not allot of information is written in the travel guides, which can be a plus if you don't like to travel with hordes of tourists.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank specedu
Reviewed June 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed two nights here for the central location in old Montevideo. This was our first visit to Montevideo and we thought we would enjoy the old town. One hugh disadvantage is the lack of good restaurants within walking distance. Another is that the old town area can be dangerous at night. In the downtown area, there are police officers at every other block. During one of our evening walks, we encountered a very aggressive young man begging for money. He followed us for a block pleading for money. My husband gave him many very firm nos. My husband almost had to push him away because he was walking so close to us.

Back to the hotel - I did not like this place. The bathroom stunk. It smelled as if someone urinated all over the floor and the maid failed to smell the urine and did not clean it up. Looking back, we should have asked for another room. I guest we were too tired. The furniture looked a bit dated. The bed was acceptable. The linens looked a bit worn. We had a nice view of the harbor.

If we ever return to Montevideo, we would stay at the Sheraton instead (We originally reserved a room at the Sheraton but changed our mind and stayed here instead. We thought we would like the Old Town location).

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Justmyexperience
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed April 22, 2009

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed November 19, 2008

My experience overall in this hotel was excellent. I stayed here for 9 days and was working mainly from the hotel. The staff were extremely helpful when it came to assisting me with my job - running an event for 700 hundred people. They were so friendly (like most Uruguayans) and would always do their best to help us if we needed them.

The hotel is a little old fashioned but it's really comfortable. The executive floors are plush and every corner room on each floor is a suite. When we asked for an office they didn't have a conference room available so they gave us the presidential suite with an enormous office/sitting room and two big bedrooms where two of my colleagues stayed. This was our base for the duration and provided extra security and privacy.

Yes the windows crack but to be honest you'd want to be a highly strung or tetchy kind of person to be really bothered by this. The standard rooms are also quite big with large, well stocked bathrooms. Each room seems to have great views over the Ciudad Vieja (old town) and the ocean. The food is of a high quality too. The bar on the ground floor is in a large kind of atrium and doesn't have the kind of ambience one would expect of a hotel bar as it feels like a big corridor rather than a place to sit, although there is nightly entertainment and if you're lucky you'll get to see the tango couple dancing which is really enjojyable and captivating for all present. I just wish I'd had more time to watch. There's a casino in the basement which is popular with guests and locals alike and seemed like a fun place to hang out if that's your thing.

On the downside, which really isn't the hotel's fault, the square in front of the hotel is a bit dodgy; 6 or 7 of the people attending our event were pickpocketed outside the hotel. ALWAYS get a taxi and don't assume that there's safety in numbers because some of the thieves are completely fearless. On the upside the rest of the city is a joy to see particularly Punta Carretas (shopping) and Pocitos (restaurants and beach).

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Fearghas
Reviewed November 8, 2008

The radisson is truly a great hotel and much cheaper than what you would normally pay in the US. They have a great price match guarantee (radisson.com) and even discount 25% of rate if you find it cheaper...which I did. I found it cheaper in www.reservas.net. I booked a suite in the club level for $134/night. Nice big room with seperate bedroom. The bedroom has a nice flat screen TV. The bed was comfortable. And yes the windows do make that popping sound!!! High speed wireless free of charge. The spa is VERY cheap. THe executive lounge...different story. I was completely humiliated by the food services manager b/c I had brought up one friend to have snack with me in the lounge. I've never had this happen to me before.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank SouthBeachGuy
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Well run large multinational property right in the square in Montivideo. Be careful arriving late as the area south of the hotel loooks bit scary. But the staff were 1st class the beds great and although the price was a little on the high side it was worth the investment.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo