“Comfortable & Cozy - Poor Service”

Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel
Ranked #25 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Hotel is not bad for a short stay in Montevideo:

1.Location: It is on the main square (Independencia) in the old city. Perfect for business. Not so good for leisure travelers. After hours, the area is run down and a bit rough so care for one's safety is required. The City of Montevideo is heavily deteriorated, it is poor, with a tinge of sadness about it. People are poorly dressed and there are some rough elements.

2. Rooms: They are comfortable, and sufficiently large with a nice TV and good selection of Cable channels. Toilette is adequate too. Internet access is complimentary and works OK.

3. Breakfast: It is served on the top floor with great views (you can't say ''stunning'' because Montevideo is an ugly city) of the River Plate. Breakfast selection is optimal. You won't be disappointed.

4. Valet Parking is available at no extra charge which is a nice surprise.

5. Service: Poor. We arrived at 1 pm and our room wasn't ready. Staff were disorganised, with an offhand ''I don't care'' attitude, and generally of a standard which no 5 star hotel should offer. This was not just at Reception, but at managerial level.

6. Price: It was excessive at $175.00 a night but it was competitive. Uruguay is an expensive country to travel due to the appreciation of the local currency.

Overall, this hotel is perfectly fine for a short stay and particularly if you are in town on business. Although one suspects that by the look of things, and the decay which is obvious across Montevideo, not much business is done in this ugly capital.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank EZT
There are newer reviews for Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had a room with seaview in the 6th floor corner. The room was very nicely decorated with desk and WORKING Internet ! Large comfortable sitting area and bed. The views were stunning. As I sleep with the window open for some fresh air, the only complaint would have been the traffic noise in the morning. The breakfast was separate to the room rate but excellent. You ordered your eggs any style and they would do it fresh and to order. I stayed 2 weeks in this Hotel and would return any time,

Room Tip: The higher, the better the sea views....
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank estadosunidos1
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Radisson Montevideo Hotel is beautiful, elegant, excellent.
Breakfast is good
Enjoy a high quality stay here, in addition to excellent staff and service. The location is perfect if you need to do business in Montevideo, or if you need to be centrally located for tourism.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elena_77_13
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

2-night stay in March. Hotel was conveniently located for my needs.
However, Pre-booked transfer never showed up at airport. After a call, hotel confirmed the booking and was told they would call the driver. 15 minutes later I call back and am told curtly that driver has mechanical issues and make my own way to the hotel... Ok, things can happen and this isn't Switzerland where things run like clockwork but the cavalier attitude didn't bode well for a self-styled 5 star hotel.

Hotel is not new, alas nor is the wall-to-wall carpet that reeks of years of continuously spraying febreeze to 'freshen' it up (of course as this is a high rise the windows don't open). Same issue alas with the room. Carpet galore, with miscellaneous stains. The chairs are also upholstered and threadbare... I agree that this is not to be my residence, but personally cleanliness is something I look for in a hotel and the higher the star rating, the higher my expectation of clealiness.

Bathtub had previous guests' dirt towel in it. Went down to front desk to remagnetize my card and mentioned it to the front desk at the same time to send housekeeping and was met with a nonchalant 'yeah will call'. Funny enough after returning to my room tech towel was still there.

The 'clean towels' (well the folded ones) both turned out to have some orange crusty stains. (and I've been in gyms with plusher towels).

Mattress is beat up (you sink in) and the bed stands about 2' off the floor. Bed linens are very good however.

One last thing, desk has one free outlet so you have to unplug TV or lamp to charge both your phone and computer at same time. The other lamps aren't plugged in, they're connected directly through the wall. Again if this was a B&B in the country, wouldn't be much of a issue but this is a 'business hotel' The hotel was built before cellphones existed (and maybe even laptops?) and it once again tells me that the hotel passed its prime, but owners didn't bother maintaining/improving it.

Breakfast is good, nice selection and nice that the cold cuts are actually kept cold and covered (too often in other hotels, they are left out on a table and dry out for hours. Beware though on weekdays the room is quite small for a 25-storey hotel. Once all tables are full they have. Staff member cordon off the entrance with a velvet stanchion and you can't enter until one of the table frees up; 8;30am was peak time when I was there.

And so a mixed bag review of the hotel but the cleanliness issue for a 5star hotel is what makes it too difficult for mento look over. How this hotel win travellers' hoice on trup advisor is a mystery to me (well conmletition is limited). There is a Hyatt being built I the TresCruces district so the radisson better get heir act together. I will be giving this hotel a pass for my next visit to Montevideo.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank seabass747
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your e - mail response with your feedback about the experience at Radisson Montevideo Hotel.

First of all we want to give you our apologies for the inconvenience caused about the transfer, I have understood that you was compensated for this matter. We regret to know that your stay with us was not satisfying and I will share your comments with the General Manager.

We want to talk with you, please kindly contact me through my email address , it will be a pleasure to begin a personal contact with you.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson Montevideo thank you for choosing us!

Roxana Morganti
Guest Service Manager
guestservice@radisson.com.uy
Radisson Montevideo Hotel
Ph: 00 598 2 9020111

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel whle on a tour of four countries in South America. The room was quite nice, but the best feature of the hotel was the top floor breakfast buffet. The breakfast offerings were not extensive, but the view of the harbor from this 24th floor was spectacular! The rating of this hotel in the USA would probably be 3 plus. RobertAnn

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel has excellent accomodations. We find the prices to be super-reasonable. We have stayed here several times. Each time we enjoyed unbelievably spacious rooms. Additionally, we were very grateful for the pre-dinner spread presented to guests of our reservation level. The staff far-exceeded our expectations in terms of service. I appreciate their salon services, and each time I am in Montevideo, I try to visit the salon, whether I am staying at the hotel or not.

While here, I lost a tiny treasured earring in the bathroom of our hotel room. I searched high and low for it, but didn't encounter it. The woman who cleaned the room found it without me even asking her. I couldn't believe it. I was beyond grateful! Additionally, I found the cleanliness of the rooms to be superior.

Another time we stayed here, a famous rock band stayed also. We didn't realize until we stepped outside to see a crowd. Upon inquiry, we found it rather exciting to learn that all these people were gathering to catch a glimpse of the band. It became funny, that when we left the hotel, people took photos of us, hoping we were with the band!

We always enjoy a high quality stay here, in addition to excellent staff and service. The location is perfect if you need to do business in Montevideo, or if you need to be centrally located for tourism.

Room Tip: I believe that the floors that are highest up are more likely to be business/luxury suites.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FaithTravels73
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Me and my husband just stayed in this hotel. Great location, very close to old town. Breakfast buffet was ok, very average. Very nice swimming pool. Massage and facial just ok. Surprised with hair salon, you don't need a reservation, just show up, I had good experience. It's not a 5 star hotel maybe 3 or 4. When we arrived we requested thru hotel a van because a lots of luggage . We get a smallest car you can imagine ....it was very annoying after a long flight and I have to seat with one suitcase in my laps. Front desk very helpful. But when I called hotel operator for laundry pick up ...it took 3 phone calls until It's actually happened.... A little things like this ruins your experience .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple