“A classy antique. Loved our stay”

Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel
Ranked #24 of 86 Hotels in Montevideo
Melbourne, Australia
“A classy antique. Loved our stay”
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and were impressed. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but on the inside it is classy and like stepping into history. Chandeliers everywhere, wood panelling, marble floors. We were greeted warmly at reception in English and our room on the 18th floor was spacious, clean and well decorated. The bathroom toiletries were first class and the couple of issues with our room safe and toilet were remedied promptly. The cocktails in the lobby bar are very reasonably priced and the food in the casino restaurant was very tasty and also well priced. My husband had a rib eye steak 700grams for $35 aus approx, and he said it was the best he had tasted in south America, so far. Breakfast on the 25th floor was also comprehensive. I had bacon for the first time in 2 weeks. Great views too.
He also had a massage which was good and in a clean, professional spa. We asked for late checkout, and we're given it with no hesitation or charge.
It is a shame that Montevideo has let itself go, but the area was good throughout the day and night too. Shopping prices and food prices are quite cheap though.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andreajeanette08
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your feedback about the experience at Radisson Montevideo Hotel.

We are thrilled you are enjoyed your time at the hotel.

it's a pleasure for us appreciate your exquisite language to describe us, thank you!

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business.

We look forward to welcome you when you decide to return to our beautiful country.

Radisson Montevideo Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

I just got back from staying at this hotel for 5 days for business. I was in suite 1851 which is very large and has two rooms. The hotel is centrally located and is probably nicer than any Radisson that I have ever stayed at. The top floor buffet restaurant for breakfast is excellent with terrific views of the city and I had an exceptional and reasonably priced lunch in the casino dining room which is open for lunch and dinner. The front desk staff is very helpful, particularly Diego Vacca. The hotel has the only ice bar in Latin America. They give you a very warm ski jacket, hat and gloves before you venture into this minus 20 degree experience. We took 10 of our Latin American distributors into the bar one night and they loved the experience. When one travels the world for business, it is comforting to be treated as well as this hotel treats its guests.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Is very flattering to all the staff at Radisson Montevideo receive your warmth and very nice comments about our hotel and our services.

We are very happy to know that you felt fully satisfied been our goal achieved 100% GUEST SATISFACTION!

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson Montevideo thank you for choosing us!

We send you our best regards,

Montclair, NJ
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel is not the newest and not in the best surroundings at night. However, it has a great classic charm and wonderful front desk for my visit during transit in Montevideo.

Offered an upgrade and given a large room on a high floor to match my Club Carson profile. The room was decorated in wood (floors, walls, etc.) and good view of the water. The room included fridge, sink, clean bathroom, comfortable bed and adequate (but oddly placed) power outlets.

The hotel had a late night casino but didn't feel like venturing to a casino. It post an ice bar in the basement but it was closed when at 1am when I ventured down.
I didn't experience breakfast so I can't comment on the quality and type of food.

I didn't experience the fitness area but wish I did as reading it is impressive.

Front desk staff was very friendly and made me feel comfortable during my check-in. Discussed the property and all it has to offer me as a guest. This is the model of customer service which is not always apparent in Uruguay.

Internet (Free wifi) had acceptable speed.

My highlights - room, charm/classic look of hotel, and staff.
Only negative (if you want to call it that) - towels were very thin.

Would stay here again during next visit even though other newer facilities are available in better areas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the honor of your recent visit to the Radisson Montevideo Hotel.

Our everyday efforts are aimed at achieving our guests´ full satisfaction. We appreciate your valuable comments and suggestion.

When planning your next visit to town, please keep the Radisson´s warmth in mind.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed for four nights in August. Intention was to use Montevideo as a base for visiting other areas of Uruguay on day trips. We were upgraded to a suite on checkin and as a twin suite was not available until the next day, an additional bed was quickly put in the room. The suites were incredibly spacious although decor very dated but I understand hotel is going through refurbishment. Staff were abslutely fantastic, in particular Bruno on Reception, Maurizio and the other concierge man (sorry cannot remember his name), lobby barman. Very friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. Nothing too much trouble.

Didn't use the spa but the indoor pool and gym and indoor running track were the best equipped I have ever seen in a hotel. absolutely superb. Loads of exercise classes too. I suspect this is a popular gym for locals but all were very polite and friendly.

We had room service on the first night as it was a Sunday and the restaurant was closed. It was very good and excellent value for money. Also had room service breakfast morning of my birthday which again was good value. Nice touch of birthday cake left in room later in the day.

Didn't use the casino. Hotel seems to have a busy conference facility function but it is large enough to cope. Didn't go to the Ice Bar only because have been in a couple before and there was no-one in there when we looked but it was quite early in the evening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your e - mail response with your feedback about the experience at Radisson Montevideo Hotel.

We are glad to know that you were satisfied with our services.

Once again thank you for your warm words and Will be a pleasure to receive you again when return to our City!

Guest Relations Manager
Radisson Montevideo Hotel.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Radisson Victoria Plaza for one night last August to celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary. We had spent our wedding night in the bridal suite of the old, old Victoria Plaza back in 1986 (when the new building was not even being discussed). We figured we'd have a delightful evening. Boy, was I wrong! When I booked online I was prompted to apply for an upgrade from a regular room to a suite. Upon check in, no one asked us if we wanted the upgrade so I went ahead and inquired. It was available and we took it. Well...the alleged suite was a gloomy two-room, one bathroom place with worn out sofas and armchair, a lumpy mattress which made it difficult to sleep and totally bottom-of-the-line amenities. Definitely NOT what you expect in a suite in a 5-star hotel. The mini bar's prices were ridiculous. U$9 for a half-liter bottle of water!!!!! (It sells for 70 cents in delis and kiosks around the hotel). The restaurant we had been looking forward to having dinner in was closed for lunch and dinner and they wanted us to take a table at the casino bar on the ground floor claiming it was the same service. By the way, you do get a welcome cocktail, but you must go into the casino. The lobby bar does not acknowledge the coupon!!!! Just trying to have a nice dinner surrounded by compulsive gamblers is not my idea of a romantic evening. Of course, the menu was available for room service, but at a much higher price. We ended up going out to dinner and had a marvelous meal just a couple of blocks from the hotel for half the price.
Use of the pool and gym was another story. When we wanted to do so, we were told there were no padlocks for the lockers in the locker rooms and that the management accepted no responsibility for lost or missing personal items. To our surprise there were only 7 people in the pool (one would figure it was bursting at the seams since there were no padlocks), and when we did venture into our respective locker rooms they also were almost empty. One thing to say for the employee in the reception area of the pool and spa is that she was very nice and went the extra mile to get us a padlock. She did eventually manage to dig out one from another area in the hotel and my wife ended up putting all our stuff in her locker. The following morning, at breakfast we were surprised by the scantiness of the offerings. One would expect some sort of sophistication in the food served for breakfast in a 5 star hotel. Lo and behold: the fare they served us was the same you would get at a regular deli or bakery downtown. Semi-stale croissants, limited amounts of fruit, just one kind of sugar free yogurt, and coffee so substandard that we ended up having tea. In short, our visit was a total disappointment. Even at check in and check out we had to wait for the employees to get off the phone in what was evidently a personal conversation, and no one even asked us what our stay had been like. I did fill out their online customer service survey and got a response from a manager who simply apologized in very standard terms, but offered no compensation whatsoever. The least I would have expected for the crappy suite they gave us was to have the price of the upgrade deducted from the bill...but no. I know this hotel is popular with tourists and evidently, the high turnover of guests has taken a toll on the premises which are not updated regularly. It is a pity because the hotel did have a good reputation.
In short, there are far better and cheaper hotels in Montevideo, in much nicer neighborhoods, with excellent service and more varied offerings. In our experience, the only 5-start thing about this hotel is the price of the minibar items.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GabrielDM
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Mr. Gabriel,

We regret your opinion about your last stay in our hotel and we apologize for all the inconvenience caused.

Please kindly note that General Manager is trying to contact you by phone in order to discuss with you this unfortunate situation.

Thank you very much for your comprehension.

Recife, PE
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed there with my husband during a weekend in August.
The location is perfect at Plaza Independencia. Near Solís Theatre and Avenida 9 de Julio.
Our room was a Junior Suite. It was huge with a living room and a very comfortable bedroom.
There is a Spa, Casino and an Ice Bar.
The breakfast is very good and has a variety of fruits, juices, breads and jams. It is served at a Restaurant on the top, so it is possible to see panoramic views of Harbor Bay.
We had good time there and we recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

All opinions inspire us to continue the effort every day so that our guests will be completely satisfied with our service.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to share your comments.
Will be a pleasure to receive you again when return to our City!

Radisson Montevideo
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Friendly, sincere staff that make me feel so welcome whenever I visit. I consider the Victoria Plaza "My Home Away From Home." When things go wrong in other hotels, (as they always do), I often say to my self, "This would never happen at the Victoria Plaza," and if it did, it would be fixed ASAP and with a smile!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor for the views of Montevideo.