“Superb hotel and location, but still a few glitches to correct.”

Sofitel Montevideo Casino Carrasco & Spa
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Montevideo
“Superb hotel and location, but still a few glitches to correct.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for the weekend in one of the ocean view suites (Monet). Gorgeous room with a living room, bedroom, closet, illy coffe maker, bathroom with a bathtub, separate shower and two toilet seats. The hotel itself is stunning, with great architectural design, extremely well decorated and located in and upscale neighborhood. The staff was really good and helpful. We even got them to return our rental car to Europcar since the battery went dead and we were late to catch our flight. However, there were two problems. Indoor pool was still not operational (as other reviewers had mentioned before) and even in our fancy room, the water from the shower would still try to flood the bathroom floor. Awkward for such an expensive room. But apart from that, our stay was amazing. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2013
Camilla T, Assistant General Manager & Quality Coordinator at Sofitel Montevideo Casino Carrasco & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear "fcblume"

Thank you very much for sharing your nice stay with us to the other fellow TripAdvisor visitors. We are very happy to hear that you have appreciated our Suite Monet, indeed it was a wonderful choice of yours!
We acknowledge that glass doors in some of our bathrooms are definitely an opportunity to improve our product and we are already working on it.

Hoping to receive you again soon, I wish you a wonderful day!

Kind Regards,

Camilla T.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Napa Valley, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is magnificent, excellent job! I took long but finally opened.
I have to say that I had a great experience during my stay. People is helpful and always is willing to help. My room was beautiful, love the design. I would improve some lightings but overall they are great. The amenities in the bathroom are just great, everything is Hermes, loved it. In general the service is good, we have to give them 6 more months since the hotel is new and people need a little more training, the service is not outstanding as yet, for example, room service would take a little longer, and some others services too.
In the other side I believe that the restaurant is very well managed, we had dinner couple times and the food is delicious and service is very attentive. Also had breakfast and brunch and I have to say the same thing. My only suggestion is that at Brunch they should include in the price a local sparkling wine, like everywhere else in the world, is something that you expect when you pay for a brunch.
So overall we had a very niche experience, the hotel has history in every corner, you just need to talk to the employees and they will tell you a story about something, that really add a lot of value to the experience, people stays there because they value the history of the place too.
When I return to Montevideo I am sure I will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
camilla_tomazini, Assistant General Manager & Quality Coordinator at Sofitel Montevideo Casino Carrasco & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear "Huarpe77",

Thank you very much for your kind comments, it is great for us to hear that you had a nice experience while with us and that you have apprecitated our bathroom amenities and your bedroom.
Please rest assured that your suggestion for the Brunch will be taken into account.
We remain at your disposal and hope to host you at Sofitel on your next trip to Montevideo.

Wishing you a very nice weekend!

Brasil
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This beautiful building really deserved a better designer,you feel the tongue in cheek but also the cheap solutions specially in the bedrooms.Service is very good and concierges are wonderful,breakfast is good but not consistente with the prices asked.Different from most Sofitel rooms and bathrooms are big but hanging space is ridiculous and so is lighting in the bathroom
I asked for room service and food was very good
I didn't go to the Casino but my daughter thaught it depressing and she likes to gamble...
All in all it was a good experience but I don't think I'd like to go back

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank jeansãopaulo
camilla_tomazini, Assistant General Manager & Quality Coordinator at Sofitel Montevideo Casino Carrasco & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear "jeansãopaulo"

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
Indeed we acknowledge that lighting in the bathroom in some of our rooms is an opportunity to improve our product and we will not save any kind of effort to do it quickly. We are pleased to know that our food and beverage offered overcame your expectations and considering you had a good experience while with us, please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you decide to come back.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I had been to Montevideo before and stayed at the dreadful Radisson. The convention I was attending took place there and I was told the Radisson and further out Sheraton were the "best"
business hotels in town. While located right on the town's main Plaza, the Radisson was a sub par shabby, thin walls, poor service hotel.
Arrived after midnight in Montevideo but one immediate advantage of Sofitel was proximity to airport and I was there in 10 mins. It is located south of city but only 15 -20 mins to old town.
Modern conversion of old casino building. Very nicely appointed with wood floors, modern fixtures, spacious. For those that read any of my reviews, bed was excellent. Puffy and highly sleepable. Funky but fun bathrooms.
Right on the Rio de la Plata facing Argentina, so nice seaside atmosphere.
Downside? A bit pricey and certainly not for the budget traveler. That said, it's clearly the "best" hotel in town.

• Stayed August 2013
camilla_tomazini, Assistant General Manager and Quality Coordinator at Sofitel Montevideo Casino Carrasco & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Richard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. It is an honour for us to been classified by you as the Best Hotel in town! It is great to know you have enjoyed our Sofitel MyBed, enhacing your relaxation.
I really hope there will a near opportunity for you to come and enjoy our Hotel a bit more.

Wishing you a Magnifique week!

silicon valley
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The service in the hotel is 5 star, but the rooms are so small no where to put suitcases. Too much furniture for tiny space. Needs some improvement in bathrooms; showers run into room, no place to put any of your things. The casino people are rude and even mean. The breakfast room is amazing
. The food is displayed beautifully and you fine in a gorgeous setting. The neighborhood has other resteraunts easy to get to.

• Stayed June 2013
Ximena S, Quality Coordinator at Sofitel Montevideo Casino Carrasco & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Bonjour "travel4fun111",
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Montevideo Casino Carrasco & Spa for your stay in Montevideo!
We are very sorry to know about the inconveniences with your bathroom, we are analyzing your comments with our team in order to find solutions.
We thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope to receive you soon again!
We wish you magnifique weekend!