“Wonderful Little Cafe with a Vintage Feel”
Review of Cafe Brasilero

Cafe Brasilero
Ranked #2 of 16 Coffee & Tea in Montevideo
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Ciudad Vieja
Adrian, Michigan
1,303 restaurant reviews
“Wonderful Little Cafe with a Vintage Feel”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This café has a wonderful vintage feel and offers some nice light meals as well. The location in Ciudad Vieja made it relatively easy to find though that part of the city was not exactly hopping late on a Saturday afternoon when we were there. In fact, it was the only thing nearby that was open.

We walked here from our hotel near Plaza Independencia in about ten minutes. Housed in a building built in 1877, we found the exterior to be quite inviting and the interior was extremely impressive in its vintage appeal. We were fortunate to get a seat by the window.

On this occasion, it was just three of us. Our server waited on us straightaway and provided good service during our visit. The menu provided a pretty decent variety of light fare including sandwiches, salads and various small meals. I ordered the ceviche while my family members ordered a ham and cheese croissant and a vegetable ciabatta. Everything was very good. I was happy with my ceviche though it was quite loaded with vinegar. The seafood was very fresh, however.

The prices were decent. We all had coffees and the bill came to $745 URS (about $33 USD or about $11 per person). That made it a pretty good bargain.

Overall, this is a very good spot in Ciudad Vieja to grab a coffee and a light meal in a vintage ambiance.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Debbie K

• Korean first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Travelling in time!!”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This special cafe will remain you to Montevideo in its 40s or 50s. It´s a pearl in the middle of the down town area with great coffee and very nice atmosphere ....

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank CMBrovelli
Chicago, IL
“Very Popular and Worthwhile”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is a very popular spot for lunch - my recommendation is to dress nicely unless you want to stand out as a tourist. This is in the old part of the City / business section. Professional attire is the norm.

• Visited June 2014
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Great food from the oldest restaurant in town”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

When I sit down to a meal at Cafe Brasilero I usually think "That looks interesting and different." When I eat out I like to get something that I could not do for myself at home so something original is always a great start. I have always found the meals to be of great quality and the service is good too. Not the cheapest in town, usually sets us back about 300 pesos (US$15) per head for a main and a drink but in my view it is well worth it.

At lunch times there is often a wait for a table with people congregating outside while they wait. Guess that is a recommendation in itself.

• Visited November 2013
Hayward, California
“Since 1877”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This is a place where you will fell back on time , in busy area of the city you will enjoy a Jam & cheese -croissant sandwich with large coffee,I love mozzarella tomato and basel, They also have a very tasty menu for lunch.

• Visited January 2014