“Waste of Money”

Montevideo, Uruguay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waste of Money”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Took the girlfriend there... I called beforehand to see if they did curry and they said that they did. The menu was just Uruguayan food but vegetarian (doesn't really work). They tried to make up for it by putting wasabi in everything we ordered. Was just grim. Like most places in Uruguay...the customer service was lacking a lot and they go some extremely untalented violinists to play out of tune while we ate. I won't go back. Ni empedo.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Pottsy1080

“True meaning of "Namaste"”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

As soon as you walk in, you are warmly greeted by (who I assume is) the owner of the joint. He shows you around with a nice smile and calm demeanor. You can choose to either sit on a table or on the ground - the last which will mean you need to take your shoes off.

The menu offers a great variety of choices, according to your taste, hunger level, and economy. However, one thing to clear up is: do not be confused by the name. There is nothing in the menu that resembles Indian cuisine.

Expect to spend USD 20 per person for drink + appetizer + entree.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank MilangaSlayer
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
“Pretty good food, but you have to wait all day for it”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have to agree with the reviewer who already said this in Spanish. I used to think it was hard to find vegetarian food in Buenos Aires, but it’s easy compared to encountering it in Montevideo! I was happy to find Namaste after a few days of so-so vegetable tortas, although I was disappointed to see that there was almost nothing on the menu that didn’t contain wheat and/or dairy products – I don’t have celiac disease, but I had a cold and was trying to cut down on those items for a few days. I wanted to try the doblados, which are made with garbanzo bean flour, but they all contained cheese. I had a tasty chop suey, made with seitan (“wheat meat”) and had enough for leftovers.

The place wasn’t terribly busy, but it looked as if the server had to wait on all the tables in both rooms by herself. I’m used to laid-back service in the rioplatense region, but she disappeared for long stretches – I hope she wasn’t cooking, too! I finally gave up on ever seeing her again, grabbed a menu from the bar, and began adding up my bill so I could pay and leave, as I’d spent a couple of hours there and wanted to do something else with my Saturday afternoon. She finally noticed and returned with the bill, which had a substantial cover charge (cubierto).

The restaurant is in a good neighborhood, in a pretty old house with high ceilings, and I liked the atmosphere a lot. I’d return, but I think I’d ask for the bill right after ordering.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank springbyker
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Lovely veg in the land of the meat eaters”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

In a land where almost every restaurant has meat on its menu (with the exception of ice-cream parlours, coffee shops, and vegetarian restaurants) it is lovely to find a place specialised in vegetarian food. What is even more delightful is that it is set in an old house, with tall ceilings, and a decoration that goes very well with the peaceful connotations of its name.

The menu has numerous dishes, perhaps not as diverse as we would find in a European or an American vegetarian restaurant but enough to satisfy most palates. Easily accessed by the public transport system, i can recommend this restaurant without reserve. There is even a room where you can sit on the floor, on cushions, should you prefer.

Visited October 2011