“My Suites is an Authentic Labor of Love”
Review of My Suites

My Suites
Ranked #5 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Tokyo
“My Suites is an Authentic Labor of Love”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My Suites is ranked Number 1 in Montevideo not just on Trip Advisor and Expedia but on a bunch of other Spanish and English travel sites. Why, I wondered, do other travelers rave about the place? So I went to find out for myself.

The first impression of the bedroom at My Suites is airy, spacious, full of light. The surfaces gleam. The colors and design are bright. For me, the room literally exudes positivity. It is quite unlike those rooms, you know the kind, which resemble wet rags, dank, drab, dismal … the kind that makes the heart sink when you enter and seems to suck from the soul all pleasure in life so that the only thought dominating the consciousness is the urgent need to escape those oppressive confines. The My Suites rooms are – to the contrary - the kind you feel pleasure on entering and if you need to spend a few hours inside during the day because of work or weather, you won’t feel at all trapped. If anything, you’ll feel energized. I should add that the mattress is firm and of excellent quality; there is no sagging and no lumps. I get a good night’s sleep. I shouldn’t omit mention of the strong internet connection. Scrupulous attention to quality does make a difference.

The cleaning staff are dedicated and do an excellent job. You have stayed – as have I – at hotels where the staff are demoralized and for that reason do a lousy job. You can sense the resentment, the complaints about management and the sullenness in their job poorly done. I have the intuition – it is I admit but an impression – that the staff at My Suites are very proud of the job they do and the hotel they work for. And that pride shows in the thoroughness of the cleaning.

That sense of professional pride and upbeat morale extends to the reception staff (Daniel, Jessica and the other members of the team) who are unfailingly obliging, enthusiastic and pleasant to deal with. Because it is not a large hotel, not corporate in mindset, not bureaucratic in procedure, My Suites is surprisingly flexible. Because I like to work in the afternoons I asked that my room be cleaned before noon. It was and is an inconvenience to their schedule, but the staff were happy to accommodate me. Plus the staff make a point of remembering the names of the guests which greatly contributes to the ambience of friendly and congenial hospitality. Of course that is characteristic of all the great hotels of legend (think of the places James Bond stays at …).

Now the big thing about the hotel, its theme if you will, is the pride in and love for Uruguayan wines. There are very few hotels of this size that employ a sommelier. Mauricio is most knowledgeable as well as being highly opinionated about the wines and olive oils of his country. (Have you ever met a sommelier who was not opinionated?) Five nights a week he conducts an olive oil and wine tasting. Definitely an item to add to the schedule. And it’s free of charge :). Who knew Uruguay boasted such tasty olive oil and fine muscadets, chardonnays and Gewürztraminers? The seeded bread offered for tasting the olive oil is baked specially for the hotel. Yummy!

Any flies in the ointment? Well, it might be nice if the hotel had a sea view. My Suites is just a few steps from the sea front on a quiet side street. And it is located in a lively and relatively safe part of the city dotted with little shops and restaurants (just like Spain and Italy used to be before the arrival of the hypermarkets). On the other hand, a sea view also means a place right in front of the busy highway with its 24 hours a day noise of speeding traffic. I cannot avoid mentioning that the offering for breakfast is a bit weak and overly dominated by sweet pastries and other sugary items. Probably 75% of the guests are South Americans so this predilection for the sweet is understandable but leaves those guests who like fiber in their food and unadulterated pro-biotic yogurts scratching their heads. It is as if all the focus on quality and attention to detail was expended on the wine leaving behind too little for the food.

So, why is My Suites ranked Number 1?

The answer is very simple. The owners, managers and staff have united in a determined drive to make the hotel the best that they can.

But lots of places claim that they try so very hard. So, what’s their secret that enables them to achieve what so many others aspire to?

The secret lies in the ownership and the size. My Suites has 40 rooms which is of sufficient size to generate the revenue necessary to support a full panoply of hotel services while small enough to avoid the corporate bureaucracy and impersonality that bedevils the behemoths of the hospitality chains. And because My Suites is privately owned and operated, the hotel can offer services and flexibility in its offerings that are impossible or uneconomic elsewhere. You really have to love wine to employ a sommelier in a hotel of this size and to offer wine tastings free of charge. And it is evident that the proprietors do love their wine. That love extends to a pride in the hotel and a determination to make its services of the highest quality.

In summary, a very good place to stay. Actually, I liked the place so much that I bought it. … Just kidding. I liked it so much that I decided to stay here for a few months to work on a book. Nice people, good room, lovely surroundings, walks along the seafront every day, fine food and wine … What’s not to like?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank simplesimon666
GERENCIAMYSUITES, Gerente at My Suites, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Simon,

Thank you for taking your time to write your opinion about our hotel, it brought me great joy reading all the nice things you had to say.
Your description of our rooms was exceptional, I could not have done a better job describing them myself. Our guests visit us for work and/or pleasure and generally spend much of their time out in the city, it is comforting to know that when they do have to stay inside because of bad weather or work, they have everything needed to make the most out of it.

I truly believe the most valuable asset of a company is their people. At My Suites we strive to create a great place not only for our guests to visit but also for our employees to work, knowing from your experience that this is reflected in the service is something that reiterates that we should and will continue to prioritize this.

I will congratulate our reception staff for their professional and obliging treatment.
My Suites being a Boutique Hotel with a small number of rooms compared to the big hotel chains does feel a lot more personal, we try hard to meet the requests of our guests and remember their names (even if they are not English spies..).

These are great times for Uruguayan wines, we highly recommend anyone that visits us to try them. I am convinced that like you, they will be pleasantly surprised. We offer free of charge wine tastings with a professional sommelier (opinionated and knowledgeable.. :) so there is no excuse.

We feel privileged for the location of our hotel, having shops restaurants and beaches within walking distance makes it very convenient for our visitors. It is good to know you were able to enjoy everything our neighborhood has to offer.
Our breakfast menu gets updated often; in order for it to appeal to anyone that visits us from overseas we will take into account your comment on our new breakfast items.

You are definitely right Simon, we are number one in many of the travel websites, including this one!! We owe this to everyone that comes to work every day and gives their best, and to people like you that dedicate their valuable time to give their opinion and rate us. Thank you!

Oh!! One other thing, we decided to put the hotel up for sale, in case you are still interested.....just kidding.

Good luck on your book and thanks again for such wonderful comments.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has clean, spacious rooms, modern bathrooms, it is located in a quiet area, has friendly, helpful staff who spoke good English. We arrived very late at the airport, but the hotel arranged transport. Good, varied breakfast. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of this relatively small establishment!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a good experience here in this well located boutique hotel. The evening wine tastings were enjoyable and breakfast was good. The reception staff helped us with quite a few queries. It is an easy walk to the beaches which are clean and safe. As others have mentioned the hotel overdoes the air freshener experience but otherwise the rooms were spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping was rather persistent with attempts to clean your room before you had gone out. Wifi in the bedroom was a bit temperamental.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel was well located, a few blocks off the ramblas. It was very contemporary and the rooms were large but quite stark. The hotel staff was very accommodating and friendly. Breakfast was just adequate. The main issue is that the entire building reeks of room deodorizer which is pumped into every room and the halls. I had an immediate allergic reaction. We were able to open our window but it faced the street which was quite noisy. The maid did disconnect it in our room but the odor came in from the hall. Also, the glass shower protector was not big enough and we wound up flooding the bathroom every time we showered.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank RockvilleTraveler
GERENCIAMYSUITES, Gerente at My Suites, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking time and commenting about My Suites.
I apologize for the allergic reaction you had to our deodorizer, we have scheduled replacements of this system, the first couple of days after replacing them could make the perfume feel stronger than normal, I believe this was the reason for the situation you expressed.
The shower heads in our bathrooms are removable, sometimes our guests like to use them off its base and when they are placed back it is not done exactly where they should be, this could lead to some water getting out of the enclosure. We could have promptly adjusted this within your stay if it would have been brought to our attention.
I am glad you enjoyed the location of our hotel and found our staff accommodating and friendly.
Your comment on the things we could better is much appreciated.
Hope you had a good and safe travel back home.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager
Patras
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Positive aspects
Location: In Pocitos, a residential area (where it is safe to walk around at night), very close to a bunch of restaurants and the beach.
Rooms: Spacious and clean.
Staff: Friendly and helpful, particularly Mr. Daniel Ramirez at the front desk.
Wi-Fi: Free

Negative aspects:
Breakfast buffet: Limited choice of food.
Cleaning staff: Very noisy.
Swimming pool and gym: very small

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dennis6723
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here with my Mum at the end of a two week trip in Argentina and Uruguay. The hotel is furnished to a high standard, with a huge room (two double beds) and a spotlessly clean bathroom. Although very tasteful, the minimalism does make it feel a bit clinical and the view leaves a lot to be desired!

The staff are very friendly and Pocitos is a much better area than anywhere else in Montevideo: close enough to travel into old town (20 mins and less than 1GBP on the 121 bus that goes from just outside the hotel) but near the beach and felt much safer at night. However, I do feel the need to mention that we were very disappointed with Montevideo itself: the old town/main centre was grotty, the 'sights' were worse-for-wear buildings that we covered in half a day and there were very few activities. Although the hotel was nice I'd recommend staying further East in Punta del Este (only 1hr 15 mins from the airport) or in the countryside in the interior or around Carmelo.

The thing that made this hotel special was the wine tasting that they organised and residents can attend for free. We sampled generous measures of 5 glasses of wine with commentary from the knowledgeable sommelier.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 83blonde
Reviewed October 2, 2013

the staff was top rate. the hotel had a nice look and the room was a good size .had a small leak in bathroom .staff fixed it.breakfast was better than most.will stay here on my next trip.the hotel is in walking distance of several good restaurants.hotel staff will inform you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family